What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby PKMKII » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Gee this must be weird if you haven't seen the movie... But no matter what interpretation you take, I think the greatest strength of the movie is that you can argue for very different interpretations and take multiple meanings from it. It may have a meta-commentary of one thing while also exploring older philosophical questions, and perhaps discussing human psychology at the same time, while the actual concepts aren't necessarily related, or wouldn't be related outside of the film.

Most films that are good art can be examined on multiple levels and deal with multiple questions.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Derp. yeah, I didn't mean that was odd, I meant the whole [SPOILARZ] and then the tiny words, as that was originally going to be the entirety of my post, but then I added more and didn't separate it. Huzzah for imperfect communication!
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:55 am

You know I was really looking forward to Inception. I only watched about 1/3 of it the first time and dozed off for 1/2 the rest a few days later. I've tried to watch it 2-3 times since and not seen it in its entirety yet. I do opt for the happy ending though qwerty ;)
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:00 am

For me, the main weakness in Inception was that they set up things in the movie that did not get used later (Chekov's gun.) For instance, [SPOILER]and this is the one that really bugged me, in their explanation of how dream worlds work early in the film, we saw people morphing the world at will. Things exploded, mirrors appeared out of nowhere,the world folded over on itself. That was brilliant, and I was expecting that they would use an even more brilliant and clever reworking of "reality" at the climax of the film. All through that scene in the snow, I kept expecting some big realization from the girl of 'Hey, I'm the architect of this world, and if I need things to be different, I'll just change them." I think the best we got was a tunnel appearing where it was needed. Big whoop. They needed to do something at that point to top folding the world, but we just got a bunch of skiing. [/SPOILER]

I did like how the ending was left open.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 am

Dubium, there's an exchange early on that explains your complaint:

ARIADNE
Why are they looking at me?
COBB
Because you're changing things. My
subconscious feels that someone
else is creating the world. The
more you change things, the quicker
the projections converge on you.
ARIADNE
Converge?
COBB
They feel the foreign nature of the
dreamer, and attack - like white
blood cells fighting an infection.
ARIADNE
They're going to attack us?
COBB
Just you, actually.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 am

PKMKII wrote:Dubium, there's an exchange early on that explains your complaint:

ARIADNE
Why are they looking at me?
COBB
Because you're changing things. My
subconscious feels that someone
else is creating the world. The
more you change things, the quicker
the projections converge on you.
ARIADNE
Converge?
COBB
They feel the foreign nature of the
dreamer, and attack

Sounds like rather of an excuse from the moviemakers for falling down on the job. When you are at the climax of the film, and almost done with your mission, then it doesn't matter if the projections converge, and actually would be another really good plot element to add in. They change something drastic so that they can finish their mission, but at the cost of the projections coming after them. That's what I was wanting to see at the end of the movie. Neo needs to see the Matrix, Luke needs to use the Force, and the dreamers need to take control of the dream. That's why I was disappointed in the ending.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 am

Well, now I DO want to see Inception, which is the first time in several years that a movie has spawned sufficient intellectual interest to motivate me. From this distant perspective, it sounds like a movie that had merit but perhaps was flawed along the way by interference from studio, editing, time constraints, or political agendas. I'm going to work towards seeing it when I can. Thanks everyone for the temptations :)

The last "movie" I saw was a load of disconnected video "evidence" about UFO's and psychic phenomena, although I did glean a few clues to investigate regarding some modern human evolutionary and technological trends.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:They change something drastic so that they can finish their mission, but at the cost of the projections coming after them. That's what I was wanting to see at the end of the movie. Neo needs to see the Matrix, Luke needs to use the Force, and the dreamers need to take control of the dream. That's why I was disappointed in the ending.

Honestly, I don't think it would have contributed much to the overall story or subtext.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:22 am

Arkaeon wrote:The last "movie" I saw was a load of disconnected video "evidence" about UFO's and psychic phenomena, although I did glean a few clues to investigate regarding some modern human evolutionary and technological trends.

You'd think, if there were actually anything to "UFO's" that they would be seen most often by people who spend the most time looking at the sky. That's astronomers, both professional and amateur. But my understanding is that astronomers report significatly fewer UFO's. Of course that stems from the fact that when they see an object in the sky, most of the time they know what it is. They aren't going to mistake a satellite, or a meteor, or a contrail, or Venus for a flying saucer. I think modern UFO reports say more about human psychology than they do about possible aliens.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:02 pm

The folks doing air surveillence spots UFOs all the time. They're not alien though, just unidentified flying objects.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 pm

You're both spot on. For example, Nicholas Pope, former UFO analyst for the UK MoD has pointed out repeatedly that 95% of UFO inquiries/reports by the public are "clear misidentifications" or easily classed or identified by someone with the proper resources (flight schedules/paths, secret military flight schedules, astronomical data, satellite orbits).

This is not the fault of the public, since they aren't intimately familiar with all these things. The cases that become "interesting" are those where civilian and military pilots, astronomers, radar analysts, and others who are trained for and used to looking at airborne effects find themselves seeing things they can't explain, with multiple sources reporting or verifying. Of these few remaining cases, some cannot be explained and do not appear to amount to anything, and others cannot be explained and could amount to something. After the fact, there is little to be done about it, anyway.

Cases that become "very interesting" are those where both trained observers and objective/mechanical equipment report something that can't be explained by normal means and do not, upon further analysis, admit any explanation known to science. Of course, a phenomenon that is unexplained and unidentified, even by trained observers and exhaustive research after the fact, does not automatically validate a hypothesis that these occurrences are, in fact, examples of alien spaceships flying around earth. These cases may/do, however, point out that there are still things and phenomena that are beyond the explanation of science and instrumentation as we have developed them so far. Such cases are the vast minority of all reports, but they are numerically significant enough to warrant further observation.

On the USA front of the UFO inquiries, I have certain information that is similar in effect to Nick's analysis. Of those classes of cases that "could amount to something" there are some scenarios which are not explicable by normal science in which the military's standing orders are/were to "scramble everything we've got" to try to intercept it. This also doesn't prove these are extraterrestrial visitors, but it does suggest that there are things out there that the military/intelligence community considers a genuine source of either threat or information, that they are most interested in learning more about. The exact nature of these phenomena could have many explanations.

Personally, I don't give a damn if they are aliens, psychic manifestations, dimensional shadows, time travelers, red lectroids, black lectroids, spontaneous hallucinations, mass hysteria, radar glitches, electromagnetic distortions in the timespace continuum, or a bit of sausage I ate too fast before going to sleep. To me, the most interesting thing about them is the Rorschach-like effect they have of inspiring self-contemplation of the human species. The supposition of an intelligent equal, an other, or a superior technology/species makes humanity contemplate itself from an objective, non-exploitational point of view. "What do they think of us?" humans wonder, and that self-examination alone is perhaps worth the effort. In some ways, aliens may be better at inspiring morale contemplation than an almighty god, for the aliens may be something we can aspire to within our lifetimes, something relevant and tangible to imitate.

Most of the material I have spent the week reviewing amounted to a lot of nothing, of course, being obvious projections of a priori assumptions, various aspects of hoaxes and delusions, wishful thinking, post-hypnotherapeutic confabulations, and religious hysteria wrapped in dubious logic and even more dubious correlations. The few usable leads I found, I will be pursuing over the next few days. If I discover anything worth reporting, I will.

However, it's my birthday today, so I'm going to avoid doing anything that feels like work or usefulness and simply enjoy existing as a being unto myself :)
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:27 pm

i sawd UP!
me cuzzin Wussel b innit!
he b a willderniss xplowur in tryb fiffyfor
sweet log twelf .
he wull elp ye kross yer yard if ye wont im to.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Arkaeon wrote:However, it's my birthday today, so I'm going to avoid doing anything that feels like work or usefulness and simply enjoy existing as a being unto myself :)

How then am I not seeing your birthday at the bottom of the Board Index page?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote: Neo needs to see the Matrix, Luke needs to use the Force, and the dreamers need to take control of the dream. That's why I was disappointed in the ending.

Ah, but with those two movies the Matrix is the absolute, or the Force is. In Inception, I think it's much more important that the dream world is just that, the dream world. The actual reality, what really matters, is not at all in the dream.

[Spoilers]Plus, in the 3rd layer in the snow-place, they're in the Targets dream (the heir, can't remember his name), but he thinks they're in his uncles dream. So if things changed drastically, especially by people apparently on his own side, they'd risk exposing themselves and making the dream unstable, it's already very delicate. And again, the projections were militarized, they didn't need any more help finding the architect.[/Spoilers]
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Dear Ubi Dubium: I have no idea what you're talking about with this "bottom of the board" stuff, but by the time you can explain it to me, the day will be over anyway, so I'll try to sort it out next year.

I don't usually acknowledge, celebrate, or even notice/remember this particular personal holiday, so I don't know how to deal with it properly, to be honest. For some reason I just wanted to experience it in a personal, intra-psychic way this year, perhaps because I AM NOW OVER 9000. It's a landmark kind of thing. Thank you for your best wishes, though, even if I don't understand how to celebrate it properly.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”