The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby PKMKII » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:56 am

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm playing Starcraft2. Trying to anyway. It is very taunting when you loose, and that happens more often than not. So many things that can be done better...
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Taunting or daunting? Though I'm sure it taunts you when you lost, that probably just makes the whole thing more daunting. :idiot:

RTSs suck to lose, because either you're wiped out way too fast and you feel helpless and utterly incapable, or it's a long slow death, where you feel like you should have been able to turn things around, but never quite did.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:32 pm

[quote="gronank"]I'm playing Starcraft2. Trying to anyway. It is very taunting when you loose, and that happens more often than not. So many things that can be done better...[/quote.

Starcraft was one of my favourites...great game. I liked being the evil Zerg which probably says a lot about me.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Anyone played ...

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

...?
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:48 pm

I've seen some Let's Play videos on youtube, or whatever. Where someone plays it while recording the screen and microphone, as well as sometimes skyping with other friends and screen sharing or whatever. Makes it very entertaining. So I know a little about it, but haven't played it myself.

I've also watched my friend play through Silent Hill 2, which seems to be a somewhat similar game, in the whole horror puzzle solving genre. Interesting stuff.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:41 am

Clifford wrote:Anyone played ...

...?

Apart from playing an Englishman it was pretty good. I particularly liked the multiple endings, though I'm not sure its deserving of some of the hype it has been getting.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 am

The English aren't so bad...Lara Croft was English.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Julius Aurora wrote:
Clifford wrote:Anyone played ...

...?

Apart from playing an Englishman it was pretty good. I particularly liked the multiple endings, though I'm not sure its deserving of some of the hype it has been getting.

Nothing wrong with playing an Englishman! It makes the game that bit more quaint, e.g. "I was so shocked I had to retire with a cup of tea" :lol: . The game itself certainly deserves credit once you do as it asks (turn the lights off, headphones on etc), and it does what's needed to make the monsters as scary as possible, by making you think they're there ... but getting a glimpse once so often. Sadly that one glimpse can get you mullered, like in the water part :confused: .

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I've seen some Let's Play videos on youtube, or whatever. Where someone plays it while recording the screen and microphone, as well as sometimes skyping with other friends and screen sharing or whatever. Makes it very entertaining. So I know a little about it, but haven't played it myself.

Did you see the video of the scared gamer? Very, very funny.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 am

I've reached the dizzy heights of level 49 on Borderlands...still looking for bigger and bigger guns.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:51 am

I hate steam sometimes. Offers I can't refuse, and all that. But really, I love it, because now I have Super Meat Boy, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, and about ten other games, and pre-ordered pre-loaded Portal 2. I just wish they hadn't done this two weeks before finals. :facewall:

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:06 am

u pre-ordered it through steam? will u get a hard copy?
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 am

Nope. Just like any game you buy on steam, it's only digital, iirc. Which may be a little sketchy, but I have no worries that I'll have trouble with it. While iTunes may only allowed you to authorize five computers to play your iTunes purchases (and if you go through a computer every n years, what happens after 5n years?), Steam lets you download the games onto any computer that you install steam on and log in to. Of course, you can only play them when logged into steam, but it's not that hard to remember a username and password. Easier than remembering a CD-Key, if you lose that.

Plus, not getting a hard copy is more environmentally friendly!

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Nope. Just like any game you buy on steam, it's only digital, iirc. Which may be a little sketchy, but I have no worries that I'll have trouble with it. While iTunes may only allowed you to authorize five computers to play your iTunes purchases (and if you go through a computer every n years, what happens after 5n years?), Steam lets you download the games onto any computer that you install steam on and log in to. Of course, you can only play them when logged into steam, but it's not that hard to remember a username and password. Easier than remembering a CD-Key, if you lose that.

Plus, not getting a hard copy is more environmentally friendly!

In fact, with many games that run over steam, the "hard-copy" is nothing more than a purchase code that you enter into steam, and then you download through steam anyway.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:15 am

I went for the hard copy. midnight release party monday, which is now tonight.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”