The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am

ubidubikid #1 wrote:I've heard a lot of hubub at my school lately about "call of duty," can someone tell me what the big deal is?
I've played a few rounds, and it is fairly interesting. Well, I can only offer an opinion on the multiplayer, unfortunately. You're either Axis or Allies and you have to kill the other team and take their flag, or whatever rules of the game. The control of the weapons and vehicles is good, it looks pretty fantastic, and it's extremely entertaining when you're with a bunch of friends.
It's what you expect of a WWII shooter, I guess.

Side note: I can't remember which sequel I played, because there are a few of them. It was on the X-Box 360, if that helps, but it may not have been a 360 game.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:57 am

ubidubikid #1 wrote:I've heard a lot of hubub at my school lately about "call of duty," can someone tell me what the big deal is?

I've seen a video revue of the new game 'Modern Warfare' and it looks awesome. I played the last version right through and the best bit was the SAS sniper section where you had to take aim at some nasty East European Drugs Baron and allow for the curvature of the Earth to shoot him. My only gripe about Call of Duty was the game was far too short for £40. My other gripe is those types of games sometimes make you feel that you are following a prescribed (almost like watching a video) path and you are not really playing a game where you can change the outcome. I tried playing it online but I couldn't stay alive for more than about 4 seconds!

Back to Warhawk for me.

Borderlands sounds good as well.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:32 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I just managed to get the boy out of his room for ten minutes in order to feed him. He says that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, to give it its full Sunday name, was made by a different company than the last Call of Duty, and the game play and interactivity is much better than its predecessor. As I understand it, The game relies more on the graphics power of the Xbox 360 than raw processing power, and this enables much bigger multiplayer games, but keeps network lag down, as there isn't so much information being transferred between individual players.

That sounds like you're a journalist for 'Game' magazine or something...just get Warhawk or Unreal Tournament so I can blast you out of the sky...

The Graphics power of the Xbox 360...raw processing power? :confused:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Hi, my name is Roy and I'm a nerd. It's been 45 minutes since I last tested my server ping-response times. Excuse me, I just need to go and adjust the size of my pagefile...

If you can play Warhawk or Unreal Tournament on a clockwork laptop, I might just have a go. Otherwise you're out of luck.

You can afford £300 for a coffee machine (which I covet by the way) but you won't fork out £250 for a Playstation 3!!!!!! :furious:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:07 am

Who the heck is Monkey? I think I need to let Capellini know you have Monkeys as friends!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:47 am

I can't remember posting in that thread. :lol:

Happy Monkey indeed and have a Spanking good time.

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:40 pm

My game just told me to take a tea break. Seriously. Well, musn't disobey Nintendo...
(Mario & Luigi, Bowser's inside story. They have to sloooooowly "stimulate" Bowser. Mario and Luigi have to do it because Toadsworth's "instrument" was to small. I. am. not. making. this. up. (Admitedly I might have left out a few bits, but the double entendres were thick)
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Do virtual characters have human rights? Discuss.

You've played GTA haven't you Roy? :whistle:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 am

Come to think of it...I can't remember much use of The Geneva Convention in 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein'.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 am

...and Super Mario's crimes against mushrooms, turtles and innocent fire breathing dragons are an abomination!

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Just picked up Assassin's Creed II. Just watching my roommate playing, but I'm very, very impressed. Very much so with the setting. I much prefer the cultured, romantic Rennaisance-era Florence to the Chaotic, Crusades-era Middle East. It's far more immersive than the first game, and the character is more interesting. Will have to get back to you once I actually start playing.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:38 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Just picked up Assassin's Creed II. Just watching my roommate playing, but I'm very, very impressed. Very much so with the setting. I much prefer the cultured, romantic Rennaisance-era Florence to the Chaotic, Crusades-era Middle East. It's far more immersive than the first game, and the character is more interesting. Will have to get back to you once I actually start playing.

I recently read a review of that which was most impressive...much better than the original apparently. I now have five games queuing up behind Warhawk...

Something really funny happened on Warhawk the other night. The game takes it's name from the jet fighters which you fly. When you take off you can pick another person up and carry them but unfortunately they are a helpless passenger until you drop them off somewhere. I was flying around trying to avoid missiles and stuff not realising that I had a passenger...all of sudden I hear an American voice shouting: "I'M IN YOUR PLANE F***TARD!" By the time I dropped him at one of the bases he was so angry he blew my plane up! :haha:

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Just spent the last 12 hours playing. Bart, "Much better than the original" is one of the greatest understatements in history. Everything, everything, has been massively improved. The last Assassin's Creed was merely Ok. This is a bloody masterpiece.

Personal favorite part *SPOILER*: Saving the life of Lorenzo de' Medici during the Pazzi Conspiracy. For a Renaissance buff such as myself, this mission was a total, nerdy wet dream. Also, Pope Alexander VI is the villain. Kick. Ass.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Maybe you guys and gals can help me out...

I got a copy of Assassins Creed but it has no book to go with the disc. Near as i can tell the game involves climbing towers and running away. Help?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:27 am

Scott the Pirate wrote:Maybe you guys and gals can help me out...

I got a copy of Assassins Creed but it has no book to go with the disc. Near as i can tell the game involves climbing towers and running away. Help?

Running away is a major strategy in all games as far as I can tell...and indeed in life!

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”