Did you know?

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Did you know?

Postby black bart » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:04 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:You relise that that was an elaborate joke, right?

I tried to include everyone.

Did you know that being impregnated by Virtual Xenomorph's is really hard to pronounce/explain when you visit the family planning clinic? If only John Hurt had had the benefit of Ultrasound.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby aidiore » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:57 pm

did you know that...having an orgasm might kill you with the high intracraneal pressure...
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:09 pm

"Going out with a bang", so to speak.

Did you know that saying "as it were", is a linguistically correct waysto illustrate that you are being facetious or using slang, but makes no sense grammatically?

It is a shortening of "as if it were so", and, yet, makes no sense like that, either.

Did you know that this bothers me, and I have yet to find a way to circumvent this that satisfies me?
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:34 am

Did you know that only correct grammar can satisfy Zankou?
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:49 am

Alright I know stuff all about grammaaaarghhhh (that should annoy him), but here's a miss quotation thing:

Did you know 'Beam me up, Scotty' is a misquotation of 'Beam us up, Mr Scott?'
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

aaRghNAbled
Stele Second Mate

Postby aaRghNAbled » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:06 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:"Going out with a bang", so to speak.

Did you know that saying "as it were", is a linguistically correct waysto illustrate that you are being facetious or using slang, but makes no sense grammatically?

It is a shortening of "as if it were so", and, yet, makes no sense like that, either.

Did you know that this bothers me, and I have yet to find a way to circumvent this that satisfies me?

Isn't this an instance of the subjunctive mood, or tense, of the verb to be? If I were more awake, I'd look it up.
.....the best lack all conviction, the worst are filled with passionate intensity....~ Yeats

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:10 am

Did you know that aaRghNAbled is not very awake?

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:43 am

Did you know that all babies are colour blind when they are born?

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 am

black bart wrote:Did you know that all babies are colour blind when they are born?

Yes. They also have no kneecaps.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby WelshRarePasta » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Did you know that I counted at least 9 grammatical and punctuation errors in your fine analysis of the use of the phrase 'as it were?' You must be a deeply conflicted and unhappy human being.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:06 pm

WelshRarePasta wrote:

Did you know that I counted at least 9 grammatical and punctuation errors in your fine analysis of the use of the phrase 'as it were?' You must be a deeply conflicted and unhappy human being.

Oh, yes, work the body!
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:01 pm

WelshRarePasta wrote:

Any errors are a result of having chopped up and retyped every sentence in that post mulitple times. It was a very difficult post to write.
The second comma is there because I forgot to remove it after removing the list of linguistically correct but grammatically incorrect phrases I was going to include. I decided to focus only on the most common one. "Waysto" is still there because I forgot to remove the "s" after removing the aforementioned list, and also because I clicked one space too close to the "s" when I continued to type.

There should be a comma after "facetious". That is a genuine eror, I think.

I only counted six. Where are you getting the other three?

Oh, I see. I don't put the comma or period inside the quotation marks unless it belongs there. If I were quotng someone on "Holy Shit!" I would include it, but if I were to type: "He said 'the apple is red'.", I wouldn't, because the period isn't part of the quotation. Notice that it is when I quote myself, though, with the outer set of quote marks.

Punctuation is silly, sometimes.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:02 pm

The above post is a very elaborate way of saying: "No, I am not deeply conflicted. I am just nuts."
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein

ChowMein
Stripmeister

Postby ChowMein » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Dud ye lot knowest that a half ounce of bleech added to yer dish water will disolve alla tea stanes frum yer teapot and/or teacups ?

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby WelshRarePasta » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:48 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Oh, I see. I don't put the comma or period inside the quotation marks unless it belongs there. If I were quotng someone on "Holy Shit!" I would include it, but if I were to type: "He said 'the apple is red'.", I wouldn't, because the period isn't part of the quotation. Notice that it is when I quote myself, though, with the outer set of quote marks.

Punctuation is silly, sometimes.

I'm with ya. Was just givin you a hard time! I spent a few awful years teaching grammar, so...

Did you know that punctuation goes inside quotation marks even when not part of the quotation? It is a strange but true feature of all standard grammar formats of common and academic English, but commonly disregarded by publishers and printers. Another feature of punctuation unknown to mortal man is that, contrary to what you might have been told, you should always include the last comma in a list (i.e., verbs, nouns, and commas is correct while verbs, nouns and commas is not). Again, thank the printers and publishers for that one.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”