Challenges to Creating a Church

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Rev Duck
Conchigliette Convert

Challenges to Creating a Church

Postby Rev Duck » Sun May 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Introduction

This is a quick rundown of what I've encountered while trying to register a church in Canada. It seems to be similar in different countries. Individual results may vary.

tl;dr I talked to a lawyer who specializes in legal issues around churches and he said an endless bank account, lots of patience, and very low expectations would be required to embark on such a quest.

Step 1: Incorporation

You first incorporate a company just like any other company (or, indeed, the country itself).

You must then decide if you want to be a non-profit charitable organization. This may sound like a no-brainer, but it's worth looking into. On the one hand, being a for-profit allows you to do pretty much anything you'd like....except be a church. There's no formal designation of what a church is; the law only goes as far as a charitable organization with charity defined as: the relief of poverty; the advancement of education; the advancement of religion; or certain other purposes that benefit the community in a way the courts have said are charitable. Being a charitable organization then allows you to issue tax receipts for donations. You have a better chance of being allowed to solemnize marriages. You may NOT have a political opinion.

Step 2: Apply to Solemnize Marriages

This is actually the hardest part, and really what makes people feel like you're a religion. According to the Marriage Act of Ontario, and the Civil Marriage Act (Federal), you must be an officiant, as recognized and registered by a recognized religion. And there's the catch, a "recognized religion". Indeed, this is the one every country gets hung up on. The process in Canada is as follows: http://www.carters.ca/pub/bulletin/chur ... chlb09.htm

Conclusion

Although the framework exists to introduce a new religion into a country, Pastafarianism simply isn't taken as a serious religion, despite how serious we are to introduce it. The documentary I, Pastafari is attempting to spread the word but there just aren't enough of us organized enough to make us a force to be reckoned with. Does that mean you shouldn't try? Certainly not. PLEASE, go out there and spread the word. They have to get the hint some time, right??

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Re: Challenges to Creating a Church

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 pm

rrrrr
umumummmm
rrr
ya hafta gift sumfing away fur free unca Ref duck qwak qwak !
din ellybuddy gonna kumta yer cherch !
izit in yer howse ?
wot ya got fer ta et ?
ware ya lif ?
wot tyme B suppur ?
rrr

fank ye yer welkum pleez
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Return to “The Cause”