Our Animals

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Our Animals

Postby black bart » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:16 am

:love: :love: :love: I have frogspawn!!!! :bounce:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 am

I counted five dead skunks on the way to work today and I heard a Robin this morning. Sure signs that Spring is on the way. :bounce:
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 am

black bart wrote::love: :love: :love: I have frogspawn!!!! :bounce:

They have medications for that now, you know.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 pm

^
Don't tell me, I have to kiss a Princess?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:I've finally got to do something about our front stoop. The house has been heaving higher out of the ground each year, and the stoop lifts with it, leaving a space underneath. We've patched the front a couple of times to fill in the space where the stoop meets the sidewalk, but I've never paid much attention to the gaps opening at ground level along the sides of the stoop.

This is why I won't buy a new house (defined as "built after about 1975"). If the site prep had been done properly and at the right time of year you wouldn't have this issue. There's no need for your house (condo in your case) to be unstable to the extent you describe. Contractors and developers who want their profits yesterday continually build things that look great for the first few years and fall to shite soon after. The ground under a house will settle, and will do so differentially with identical loading based on the characteristics of the underlying soils. Without preparing the substrate to sufficient depth to create uniformity, you can bet stuff will move around in different directions.
Ubi Dubium wrote:A few days ago I stepped out to get the newspaper, and there was an animal just calmly hanging out beside the stoop a couple of feet from me. NOT a possum. Beautiful fluffy black with lovely white stripes down the back. I walked back inside as quietly as I could, and looked back in time to see it slip into the space under the stoop.

As much as this houseguest has been inoffensive up to now, my concern is that it will have a nest of babies under the stoop, and then defend them against some fox or cat or something, with us taking the brunt of it. I've gotten several bags of rocks, and have begun gradually closing up the holes, in hopes of making our stoop gradually less hospitable, and encouraging Mr. Stinky (Mrs Stinky?) to leave.

We have a skunk living under the barn most summers. When he lets one go, it takes several days for the back hallway to recover. If you CAN exclude him, do so.

Also, why the :furious: does the reply box refuse to stay on the line I'm typing once my response gets bigger than the box? No matter how many times I drag it down, the :furious: scroll bar jumps up so the bottom lines are invisible as soon as I hit any key. Pain in the :moon:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:20 pm

Pretty sure it happened in gargle cream.

Giggle cramps.

Gaggle crumbs.

Goggle crimes.

Something like that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It
Location: Ex-Pyrate of the Canberrean, now bobbing about in Cork

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:54 am

Goggle crimes, definitely. :wink:

No problem in Safari… :whistle:

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:We have a skunk living under the barn most summers. When he lets one go, it takes several days for the back hallway to recover. If you CAN exclude him, do so.

Yes, and given that our front yard is small enough that I mow it with a weedwhacker, we would not have any way to avoid the stink if she lets loose. If I had a bigger yard, and if the skunk's preferred hidey-hole were not right under the front door, I'd probably just let her alone. As it is, I'm adding a few more rocks to the opening each day. I'll probably take about a week getting it entirely blocked up, and I hope that does the trick.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 am

Please don't let us have a cold spell which might kill the frogspawn...I'm so excited!

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am

I wish I had a camera with me on the way to work this morning..... I was at a red light and up ahead I saw all of these geese landing in a corn field. As I approached, I saw that they were Snow Geese!
If you haven't seen thousands of Snow Geese all landing into one field, you are really missing something.
I did find a nice example on the internet.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 am

I also wished I'd had a camera whilst cycling through Richmond Park on Monday morning...I spotted a deer with a large crow on his head which was gently pecking off the deer's fleas,mites etc. ie providing a cleaning service.

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 pm

What a handsome lad our Milo has turned out to be! I tried talking Mr. Twisty into adopting a Staffordshire Bull Terrier but he's one of "those" people who won't give the breed a second look because "they might bite someone."
Hell, the only dog I've ever been bitten by was my Aunt's little annoying yappy type dog!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:41 am

TwistedSister wrote:What a handsome lad our Milo has turned out to be! I tried talking Mr. Twisty into adopting a Staffordshire Bull Terrier but he's one of "those" people who won't give the breed a second look because "they might bite someone."
Hell, the only dog I've ever been bitten by was my Aunt's little annoying yappy type dog!

Snap, (sorry about the pun) apart from my own dog Ernie who was trying to bite another dog and got me instead, the only dog wot bit me was a Yorky Terrier!

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:52 am

Staffies aren't pitbulls! Without exception the ones I have know have all had lovely natures and I am also one of "those" people with a healthy distrust of all things dog!

Calico Jack
Stele Second Mate

Postby Calico Jack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 am

Jack no bird brain.
Jack back smelly old cat up with help.

"Pit bullFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Pitbull (disambiguation).
The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. Please improve this article and discuss the issue on the talk page. (May 2010)

A Staffordshire bull terrier, one of the three breeds commonly recognized as a Pit Bull type dog.A Pit bull is any of several breeds of dog in the molosser breed group.

Most jurisdictions that restrict[clarification needed] pit bulls, including Ontario, Canada,[1], Miami, Florida[2] and Denver, Colorado,[3] apply the restriction to the modern American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, or any other dog that has the substantial physical characteristics and appearance of those breeds."
Jack got all yer wemmin!!!!
Who Jack pay???

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”