Our Animals

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Our Animals

Postby PKMKII » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Not sure. You drawn a line in the dirt, hold the chicken in your arms, and put his beak right up against the line. It does this weird thing where they go all catatonic and zoned out.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:02 pm

They probably think it's a math problem. :idiot:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It
Location: Ex-Pyrate of the Canberrean, now bobbing about in Cork

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Guinea pigs can be 'hypnotised' by being turned upside-down, as well. It is quite amusing to see a row of them, belly-up, apparently sun-bathing. A sudden noise will have them all back on their feet in an instant, running around, squeaking. Another oddity - if you have ten startled guinea pigs in a run, most will run clockwise; but there will always be at least one that runs the other way, equally panicked, but crashing into all the others. :idiot:

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Put the chicken on its back. It will turn its head the right way up, looking down over the length of its body. Hold your finger in front of the chicken's face and get its attention. Move your finger back over the top of its head, to make it turn its head upside down. To make it turn its head completely upside down, draw a line away from it along the ground. The chicken becomes catatonic when its head has been upside-down for about three seconds. Funny.

Iggy Pop wrote:That's like hypnotising chickens...

Have you ever tried to put a chicken on it's back? Mine don't even like to be picked up!
I may try PK and Roy's chicken "tricks" when the weather warms up, hell, the chickens no longer lay eggs, they should at least provide me with some entertainment.
Maybe I should just get a guinea pig........
New topic idea, Fun with Animals! [oh wait.......never mind. I don't need to be hearing sheep stories.]
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 pm

TwistedSister wrote:I may try PK and Roy's chicken "tricks" when the weather warms up, hell, the chickens no longer lay eggs, they should at least provide me with some entertainment.
Maybe I should just get a guinea pig........

Pro-tip: guinea pigs don't lay eggs.

TwistedSister wrote:New topic idea, Fun with Animals! [oh wait.......never mind. I don't need to be hearing sheep stories.]

1,001 Ways to Have Fun and Entertainment with Sheep, written by a Welshman.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:22 pm

^ how do you know? They might if they were feeling frisky and couldn't find another Guinea pig. :jack:

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Since I have lots of time today, thought I'd mess around and get some pixs on here of Lola. (finally)

Oliver and Max

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Lola is beautiful!
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks Bacon! She is one pretty kitty. (I love the little black points on top of her ears and the kitty eye-liner she has) For a cat that lived in a foster home (in a shed) she is very well behaved and well adjusted. She rules the roost and the boys know it.
Milo, Lola would love to play with you!

[our little boy Milo growing up before our eyes.........)

farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby farfalla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 am

missing my kitty- :sad:

(Tank, if you are reading this ...{I think he uses the computer when we are away] ... we will be home soon)
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 am

Does he have an account on here? It wouldn't be the first time. :haha:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:41 pm

We are dog sitting again. I tried to post a pix but Photobucket and I are not seeing eye to eye. I will try again tomorrow.
Damn Photobucket makes everything so complicated!
Oh, although I do love dogs, at least I don't have to stand out in the cold and wait for my cats to do their "business".

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Finally! This is Abby with the toy Groundhog I had gotten her on one of her visits to us.
Sorry the photo is so small, I couldn't photobucket to make it bigger. :annoyed:

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:24 pm

I've finally got to do something about our front stoop. The house has been heaving higher out of the ground each year, and the stoop lifts with it, leaving a space underneath. We've patched the front a couple of times to fill in the space where the stoop meets the sidewalk, but I've never paid much attention to the gaps opening at ground level along the sides of the stoop.

We've had chipmunks hanging around there, so I figured I might as well leave the openings for them. But then, a week or so ago, a neighbor said he thought he saw a large grey rat dart underneath. He's not from around here, so I questioned him about possums, and asked him if it could possibly be a possum. He didn't know from possums, and thought maybe it could be that, he wasn't sure

A few days ago I stepped out to get the newspaper, and there was an animal just calmly hanging out beside the stoop a couple of feet from me. NOT a possum. Beautiful fluffy black with lovely white stripes down the back. I walked back inside as quietly as I could, and looked back in time to see it slip into the space under the stoop.

As much as this houseguest has been inoffensive up to now, my concern is that it will have a nest of babies under the stoop, and then defend them against some fox or cat or something, with us taking the brunt of it. I've gotten several bags of rocks, and have begun gradually closing up the holes, in hopes of making our stoop gradually less hospitable, and encouraging Mr. Stinky (Mrs Stinky?) to leave.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:28 pm

For some reason I don't think ^ is love. Looks like an all out dog fight to me.

Ubi, the skunks won't bother you if you don't bother them. Oh sure, you may smell them once and awhile, but it's really not a big deal having them live that close. Just make sure you put on the light before you go outside when it's dark.

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”