The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Edd
Stripmeister

Re: The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

Postby Edd » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:37 pm

naens wrote:
Edd wrote:
Kikko wrote:...I hope that the moderators here are not very attracted to commas, since I'm not used to them, since the forum where I come from is ''self-moderated''.

A few of us may harbor amorous feelings toward certain punctuation marks, but I don't believe the moderators have ever expressed an opinion on them.

I am quoting this cuz apparently qouted posts are instantly approved. I want to convert but dont know how. plz help. RAmen.

I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion, naens. If you haven't had your own post approved, how do you know how long someone else has been waiting?

Anyway, Welcome!

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:38 pm

Oh never mind all of that.......just show them where the beer (wine) is at.

Ham Nox
Stripmeister

Postby Ham Nox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 am

Heh. Pastafarians don't have an official way to convert. We don't have an official anything, really, and even if we did it us pirates is too individualistic to follow it!

AUSloth
Ziti Zealot

Postby AUSloth » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:18 pm

G'Day fellow Pastafarians. I have been following the forums for a while and recently converted. I'm have also just received a copy of the Gospel and am already feeling uplifted. Hope to contribute soon.

Libervurto
Ziti Zealot

Postby Libervurto » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:33 am

Why do I have to post in this stupid thread? I wrote an article about the FSM but it was rejected because I haven't posted in this pointless thread first. Well here you go. Can I f***ing post where I want now?
I am pissed off, this forum is a joke, isn't the whole point of Pastafarianism to get rid of stupid rules like this?

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:53 am

Libervurto wrote:isn't the whole point of Pastafarianism to get rid of stupid rules like this?

Um, no, it isn't. It's about not having creationism taught in science classes.

The reason for this thread is to stop the hordes of spambots from plastering their rubbish everywhere. If you think the forum is a joke then you are more than welcome to bugger off.

Edit - I forgot, hello other new people.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 am

And no cookies for people who are cranky in their very first post. fsm_moon

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 am

To be fair, I agree that the system could use some work, because people consistently try to post elsewhere and meet frustration, then post here, and then still can't post anywhere else because they have to post somewhere else specific first. At least, I believe that's how it works, right?

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:47 am

It's to keep out spambots and spammers, read the instructions, post here get approved then your next post must approved be in another thread, after that you may post all you want. I am unsure why this process is confusing to some people, and anger inducing in others. Any suggestions on how to make these instructions easier to understand would appreciated. Or you can just keep bitching.... Sin. WoE
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Warlord of Elephants wrote:It's to keep out spambots and spammers, read the instructions, post here get approved then your next post must approved be in another thread, after that you may post all you want. I am unsure why this process is confusing to some people, and anger inducing in others. Any suggestions on how to make these instructions easier to understand would appreciated. Or you can just keep bitching.... Sin. WoE

I think it may be the phrasing; I must admit, it took me a while to get it straight (and I'm only 99.9% certain I've got it now). Here it is as far as I understand:

1. Submit a post for this thread.

2. Wait patiently for post to be approved.

3. Submit a post for any other thread.

4. Wait patiently for that post to be approved.

5. Enjoy full posting privileges.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Could we make it such that the posts here do count towards post count? I never really understood why they don't, and that seems like it would be an easy fix, changing it to:

1. Submit a post for this thread.

2. Wait patiently for post to be approved.

3. Enjoy full posting privileges.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I am not sure that method is spambot proof. A spambot operator might make a first post in the right place, then set the bot to spam the board perpetually. If unapproved posts are deleted automatically, then as soon as the bot's first post is approved, then wham, it's WoW Gold Rolex Gucci Handbags Nike Shoes Kolaloka Lemonade-tastic.

Yeah, the bots still get through occasionally, I reckon about one every month to two months. In that case all that needs doing is someone reporting one of the posts and the admins can just delete everything posted by that account in a few clicks.

It's not perfect but it seems to work pretty well with relatively little effort.

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:06 pm

We are not talking about changing the process, I am asking if you guys have any ideas as to how to make the instructions more easily understood, of course about 95% of the posts get disapproved because someone DOESN'T read the instructions... In those cases my sympathy is all that it should be. Sin. WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Ah. Well, for one thing, I notice that the language is mostly "You can't post elsewhere until you post here." Perhaps change that in all instances to a more positive statement, like "Post here first, then you can post elsewhere." or "Post here first before posting elsewhere."

Simply the title of the thread: "New Member Posting policy" could be made less ambiguous, and say instead, "Policy for New Posters/Members." Putting the instructions in that thread into the rules and procedures thread would be a good idea too. It is technically a procedure, so it's not like it doesn't belong. It's possible that people aren't looking at the New Member Posting policy thread at all.

Also, the information in that thread could be worded better, or even more simply. I'd just as soon replace it with what Edd wrote down, assuming that's correct, because that very simply and efficiently communicates what needs to happen, rather than going into detail about automated posting approval, or how busy the admins are and how few we have, how posts don't add to the post count (I still don't know why that is), etc.

Hope this helps.

SenorSarge
Conchigliette Convert

Postby SenorSarge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:55 pm

So, hi. New guy here. I've just recently started reading the Gospel but, from what I gather, I'm all about what it's trying to get across. From the deep South here, so a place like this is pretty refreshing.

The screening process here is a little different, but it really doesn't seem all that bad. (I say that, but I'm probably screwing something up)

Anyway. See you guys on the boards.

Return to “Standards and Practices”