The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Edd
Stripmeister

Re: The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

Postby Edd » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:It can get pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Hence the proliferation of eye-patches and missing limbs.

Just kidding, that's from the scurvy.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:43 pm

Edd wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:It can get pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Hence the proliferation of eye-patches and missing limbs.

Just kidding, that's from the scurvy.

Not always. Freckled Jim, you know, down in accounting and waste management, lost his third leg for the fourth time this month in a vegetable picking incident. A bit absent minded when it comes to vegie picking. Apparently, his thingy looks just like a turnip.

Does a great job, though. Without him there would be no-one to manage our accounts and spread the waste liberally over all departments.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Chemphelia

Postby Chemphelia » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:12 pm

My name is Chem, and I represent the Southern Louisiana Coalition of Pirates, an organization that I arbitrarily invented just now.

la_plaga
Conchigliette Convert

Postby la_plaga » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi everybody there! My name is Héctor, and I write from Spain. My knowledge about the English language is limited, so I want to say since now that I´m sorry cause of all my mistakes about writing and explaining in my posts. I feel very happy to find so many people who think like me about these things. I´ll read you!

Dan (dat haole dude)
Stripmeister

Postby Dan (dat haole dude) » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:10 pm

bienvenidos, la_plaga, espero que puede contribuir mucho a nuestro sitio (correcto o no?)..especialmente en "Pirates" (donde la lengua mas usada no es Ingles, exactamente..se llaman "Pyratickal bla bla bla"--y donde puede hallar burlas muy terribles)..no apologies necessary, Hector, your English is great..when in doubt, just say "AARRGGHH!!", OK?
'Oli no au i na pono FSM e
E hau'oli na 'opio o FSM nei
'Oli e! 'Oli e!
Mau ke aloha, no FSM

gustavo

Postby gustavo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:44 am

Yarr I be posting fur tha first time!

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:33 pm

I don't quite see why I'm supposed to make my first post here… it seems a rather unnecessary Germanic regulation... but I like the idea of getting a bit of "intelligent discussion" since I don't seem to be getting much intelligent feedback to my posts of rather biblical dimensions to the section of this site called “Comment on the Open Letter” (post #2469 et sequentia). They are supposed to be thought-stimulating as well as humorous, but maybe no-one intelligent is reading them (maybe most people prefer slagging each other off rather than engaging in intelligent discussion), or maybe they just can't be bothered to reply.... So I want to see if I'll have better luck in the "discussion forums".
Actually I feel that (as well as being hilarious in a Monty Pythonesque way) this site is very intelligent and leads the way to discussion of a whole range of issues regarding science, logic, belief, fanaticism and morality… but wouldn’t it be better if EVERYONE could discuss such issues together, whether self-professed “believers” or not? In fact I don’t really agree with the whole idea of an esoteric “inner circle” of Pastafarians with their own private “discussion forums”. Shouldn’t Pastafarianism be open to everyone? I mean if it becomes cliquey or reserved for "believers" (and let's face it, none of us REALLY believe in the FSM, do we??) then we risk repeating the mistakes of organised religions, which, after an initial period of evolution and “openness” often become a snobby mafia clique of “holier than thou” bigots! Perhaps someone would like to explain to me the rationale between this division between an “outer” and “inner” circle?
Anyway I’ve said my introductory stuff and now I guess I can wave the Jolly Roger, shout YoHoHo and suck FSMs noodly appendages with the best of the rest of you!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 pm

la_plaga wrote:Hi everybody there! My name is Héctor, and I write from Spain. My knowledge about the English language is limited, so I want to say since now that I´m sorry cause of all my mistakes about writing and explaining in my posts. I feel very happy to find so many people who think like me about these things. I´ll read you!

Hello Héctor..... yo querìa risponderte in Espagnol, pero non he nunca estudiado suya lengua.... so i'd better stop before I really make a fool of myself!
Your message reminds me of something I recently posted in the section of this site called “Comment on the Open Letter”:
I feel that this site is maybe oriented too exclusively towards English speakers... we need to spread the word all over the world in order to foster universal humour and understanding and to spread the love of the spaghetti monster for his children, and I don't think that is possible unless we give people a chance to speak and write in their own languages!
I have discovered that if you join up to this site through a complicated registering procedure you can enter a section dedicated to foreign languages... but that doesn’t make sense!
If you speak a foreign language and your English is pretty crap you won’t have the time or energy to find that section and you won’t understand how to go through the registering procedure!
After all it took me at least 20 visits to the site before I even suspected that there was a section in Italian, but when I got there (after the complicated registering procedure!) I found that there were only 3 or 4 Italians who had sent a total about 5 messages over the past 10 months! (and most of these messages were about Italian politics and had nothing to do with Pastafarianism!)
I was so shocked that I set up my own “New Topic” in Italian but the only reply I’ve had so far was from a non native Italian speaker (probably from the US) who gave me some words of support…
Spaghetti is Italian! The Italians are enslaved by the Vatican! We have to set them free and open their eyes to the cosmic beauty of PASTA! But unfortunately most Italians cannot understand the meaningful depths of this site if it’s all in English.
I’ve noticed that there are Germans, Dutch people and Norwegians contributing to these pages, but we all know that they understand English and speak it quite well.
Maybe access to the “hidden” parts of the site you could be made more easy so that also speakers of Italian and other languages can read and contribute. In fact I don’t really agree with the whole idea of an esoteric “inner circle” of “other Pastafarians” with their own private “discussion forums”… shouldn’t Pastafarianism be for everyone?
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu

Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Elvalia » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Hello and welcome all!

Tris, nice to see you! I'm not sure I quite understand your problem with the forum- it's open for all to join, and as for speaking different languages, as unfortunate as it is, English tends to be the one instructions and such are written in. To reiterate, though, all are welcome in the forums! I'm sorry to read that you had so much trouble with the registration process. I didn't have any problems with it, so I'd never thought of it as complicated. Glad you made it through!

I'm sure any issues you have will be discussed thoroughly elsewhere in the forums. Once again, welcome everybody! Let's have a hearty "ARRRGGHHH" for the FSM!
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:24 pm

Welcome to the forums, tris.

The purpose of this New Convert Thread is, unless I’m mistaken, mostly to help identify spambots. Feel free to start a thread on whatever topic you want in the appropriate section.

As far as ‘inner’ and ‘outer’ circles: you’ve been posting comments on the Open Letter, now you are participating in a discussion forum. See the difference?

And a complicated registration? What was complicated about it? How is it hidden? It seemed fairly straightforward and easy to me: click on a button and there it is. If you encountered some difficulties, there is a section for that, too, though.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:04 am

Hi, all! I'm posting from Virginia, specifically the Winchester area. I discovered the FSM quite by accident, but once I got my hands on the Gospel, it was all over. I'm currently re-reading it, and trying to convert some of the locals to the enlightened practices of Pastafarianism and Piracy. AARRRRGH!!
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

Captain Red Noodle

Postby Captain Red Noodle » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Arrrrgggg. I've always felt a warm sauciness, but I could never put my noodle on where it came from. Thank Pasta I've finally found him!

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:09 pm

Ahoy-hoy, new converts!
"Oook." - The Librarian

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

‘inner’ and ‘outer’ circles

Postby tris » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:31 pm

Hello Elvalia and Ed!
Thanks for your greetings…
Well no, in fact the registration process wasn’t particularly complicated… but it did take me (and other people whose comments I’ve read in this space!) a long time to realise the “forums” existed. When I said it was complicated I was putting myself in the shoes of a non-English speaker (for reasons you’ll see below!) In a sense it is “hidden” because there are so many other nooks and crannies of the site that you maybe don’t realise that an “inner circle” exists!
BTW do you know the etymology of the word “FORUM”? It comes from the Latin “foris” meaning “outside” (in Italian “fuori”) because the place where the first Romans did business was in the valley between and “outside” the seven hills…
I still feel that this forum is “outside” in the sense that those people who don’t speak English find it hard to have access (in fact the vast majority of my friends and acquaintances don’t speak English!) also those who don’t profess to believe in the FSM are unlikely to decide to access this part of the site and they will therefore be “outside” (excluded) from it…
But perhaps if they were able to hear some “intelligent discussion” rather than the repetitive abuse that dominates the main pages they might decide to “convert”! (or is that wishful thinking??)
By the way Ed… what is a “spambot”????
You also said:
“As far as ‘inner’ and ‘outer’ circles: you’ve been posting comments on the Open Letter, now you are participating in a discussion forum. See the difference?”
Yes of course I see the difference! That’s exactly my issue! I don’t really see why this rather cliquey distinction has to exist!

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

"cliquey distinction"

Postby tris » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:47 pm

I mean the “cliquey distinction” between US (on the inside) and THEM (on the outside)!

Return to “Standards and Practices”