The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

capidosia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby capidosia » Sat May 27, 2006 11:44 am

i've been lurking around the forums for a while now, reading things, poking my nose in, and decided to say hello......

stumbled across fsm whilst looking up for more info on id(needed more ammo for an argument with a friend of mine... and found fsm instead :D ) and have been attempting to convert my friends ever since......... but considering they all think i'm nuts it realy hasn't got anywere yet... but i will continue to try :x

another brit joining up... and the area i live in is crawling with religous schools teaching id... and it is anoying.

anyways... hillo :D
i wanted to put something intellegent here, but thinking hurt too much

(please ingore any gramitical or spelling mistakes... the keyboard at my work is nackered.. and the idiot who uses it has no spell checker, and a learning dissablity... so bear with me please.)

The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation
Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby The Meromorph » Sat May 27, 2006 11:53 am

Let's clarify, There's nothing wrong with religious schools teaching their creation stories. You or I may not subscribe to them, but that don't mean a thing.
Equally, there's nothing wrong with teaching about ID in the appropriate classes (Religious Instruction is what it would have been when I was a young'n).
Where we Pastafarians take strong exception is to the teaching of ID in science classes or as science.
And in state supported schools in the USA, it ain't legal to teach religion at all. Teach about religion (at least several) fine. Teach the religion, uh-uh!

HTH.
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Sat May 27, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi capidosia

Excellent to see someone from Portsmouth. Head on down to Pirates. You can give the lads and lasses a few tips about their difficulties. They are always having trouble, especially with fish-head stew, and rely on facilities in Portsmouth.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

capidosia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby capidosia » Sat May 27, 2006 12:40 pm

The Meromorph wrote:Let's clarify, There's nothing wrong with religious schools teaching their creation stories. You or I may not subscribe to them, but that don't mean a thing.
Equally, there's nothing wrong with teaching about ID in the appropriate classes (Religious Instruction is what it would have been when I was a young'n).
Where we Pastafarians take strong exception is to the teaching of ID in science classes or as science.
And in state supported schools in the USA, it ain't legal to teach religion at all. Teach about religion (at least several) fine. Teach the religion, uh-uh!

HTH.

i know this, and appologise if i put the message across wrong. i not always good at getting across what i mean. apologies if i was misconstrued.

i have a habit of getting my mucking words fuddled up.
i wanted to put something intellegent here, but thinking hurt too much

(please ingore any gramitical or spelling mistakes... the keyboard at my work is nackered.. and the idiot who uses it has no spell checker, and a learning dissablity... so bear with me please.)

teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby teripie » Sat May 27, 2006 12:54 pm

Welcome aboard all the newbies! That's a title you'll get rid of in a very quick manner.
Nice to see us growing at a steady pace.
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig

iacrawf
Conchigliette Convert

Postby iacrawf » Sat May 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Hey, i'm here posting my conversion to pastafarianism. I pledge to spread knowledge of the religion to my friends and family, and i already have a few people who I know are interested.

The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Postby The Meromorph » Sat May 27, 2006 3:36 pm

capidosia wrote:
The Meromorph wrote:Let's clarify, There's nothing wrong with religious schools teaching their creation stories. You or I may not subscribe to them, but that don't mean a thing.

HTH.

i know this, and appologise if i put the message across wrong. i not always good at getting across what i mean. apologies if i was misconstrued.

i have a habit of getting my mucking words fuddled up.

Yer'll fit in right fine, Matey! :fsm_yarr:

I was just taking the golden opportunity (thank you for presenting it :) ) to preach about tolerance. Always worth saying, even among the tolerant :fsm_rock:
Laughing in the rain.

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Sat May 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Consider yourself posted, iacrawf. Interested people can be hard to actaully convert - not that we encourage imposing beliefs on anyone. Good luck !
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

latsot
Conchigliette Convert

Postby latsot » Sun May 28, 2006 12:08 pm

The Meromorph wrote:Let's clarify, There's nothing wrong with religious schools teaching their creation stories.

Hm. As long as they don't teach it as science, as you say. I would also say "as long as they don't teach it as truth", but I know that's not a FSM thing.

Its a latsot thing though.

The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Postby The Meromorph » Sun May 28, 2006 1:20 pm

And you, like they, are fully entitled to your opinion.
Not to pick on you, latsot, you simply present another perfect opportunity to reinforce what we're all about. (Thank you.)
So this isn't directed specifically at you (and you have no need to defend yourself, it's certainly not criticism of you :) )

This is not an atheist board (I myself am an atheist, FWIW), though we do have a significant number of members who are atheists or agnostics. We have had many problems in the past (and somewhat continuing) with militant, aggressive, and downright rude atheists. We ban them. They're entitled to their opinion, too, but we don't want rude people here.

It's not a religious board, either, though we have many members who are religious, some very devout. We have had some problems in the past (occasionally still now) with militant, aggressive, and downright rude people of faith. We ban them, too. It's a much smaller problem... :fsm_rock:

A large part of the joy people find on this board is in the opportunity for a calm reasonable and polite exchange of views with people of very different beliefs to their own. Our moderation is basically committed to keeping it reasonable and polite (calm is good, but people do get passionate about their beliefs, and there's nothing wrong in that, just don't get aggressively passionate :roll: ).

We are very committed to polite. Read the rules, we mean them...

Now go find some joy! Intelligent conversation is not hard to find, here. We do silly quite well, too. :fsm_rock:
Laughing in the rain.

latsot
Conchigliette Convert

Postby latsot » Sun May 28, 2006 3:13 pm

The Meromorph wrote:And you, like they, are fully entitled to your opinion.

Well I agree that they are fully entitled to my opinion :-)

And also that they are entitled to theirs.

I think I know what this board is about. I don't think I'm an aggressive atheist (I'm technically agnostic, although I usually say I'm an atheist). But I certainly think this religion issue provokes questions and I don't shy away from asking questions. If that isn't what this board is about i'll stop. But I'd be surprised: gentle questioning provoking debate seems like a good thing to do.

The Meromorph wrote:We have had many problems in the past (and somewhat continuing) with militant, aggressive, and downright rude atheists. We ban them. They're entitled to their opinion, too, but we don't want rude people here.

Understood. I assume this leaves opportunity for people to question stuff though. Sometimes this practice appears rude to some people and obviously it is you as the owner of the site who ought to determine what is and isn't rude.

The Meromorph wrote:It's not a religious board, either, though we have many members who are religious, some very devout. We have had some problems in the past (occasionally still now) with militant, aggressive, and downright rude people of faith. We ban them, too. It's a much smaller problem... :fsm_rock:

I have no problem with people who have various types of faith, although I may challenge that faith.... Again, I imagine this is a good forum for gently doing that...and as I said, if I'm wrong, I'll leave off.

The Meromorph wrote:We are very committed to polite. Read the rules, we mean them...

Was I being impolite? I didn't mean to be. I disagree with some people and have little to no truck with people who cannot back up their beliefs with evidence, but I don't think that makes me rude. I am interested in talking with people about their faith. Disagreeing with it perhaps but hell - I can be persuaded.

Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Alpaca » Sun May 28, 2006 3:21 pm

Welcome. You'll fit in perfectly here. :)

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Sun May 28, 2006 3:29 pm

hi - it's all about how you express yourself. Respect for others views and beliefs is essential. That doesn't mean you have to agree with them and debating is good provided it comes from a place of respect. Faith is not about evidence, although it can be made to be. It is necessary to respect people's faith here even if you believe there is no evidence for their having that faith. So discussions around those kind of issues need to be careful and thoughtful. In the main the people who use this site are keen to discuss everything and anything. We try to provide safety for them to do so.

If you want to continue this discussion, perhaps one of the serious forums would be appropriate?

Zen
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Zen » Mon May 29, 2006 11:31 am

Hey,

Sorry to just cut in, but I figured I should introduce myself.

I've been aware of the FSM movement for a while now, and always found it kind of witty. Only recently did I notice that it's actually a potent little potion you've concocted here. Anyway, I joined up hoping for some intelligent discussion.

I'm kind of an 'Agnosto-Pantheistic Atheist' if you had to put a label on it. Definitely not an out-and-out Atheist, though. I was deeply religious for the majority of my life, but when I started comparing my beliefs to that of my fellows, I found myself to be much more... liberal (for lack of a better word) than they were. Basically, I've never assumed I have the right answer, because - Hell - what are the chances of that? :lol:

Then I moved out of my (fairly) religious parents' home, and all sorts of new questions started popping up, and I didn't have any good answers. With that in mind, I look forward to conversing with the no doubt fine people of this community.

My apologies again for cutting in; carry on. :)
yo ineedabettersig yo

Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Swatopluk » Mon May 29, 2006 11:38 am

You seem to be quite right here and you'll find a number of fellow Canadians in the group.
Welcome!
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose

Return to “Standards and Practices”