The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Fri May 19, 2006 5:31 pm

Snorky wrote:I'm also a big "fan" of the Raelien mouvement http://www.rael.org :mrgreen:
So I'm trying to get a way to make these two religions (Rael+FSM) compatible by the most unlogical way it can be :mrgreen:

Check the "Bananas" area for the most unlogical way so far. :wink:

daniel
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby daniel » Mon May 22, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi. I'm new here. My name really is Daniel, like my user name. I like cats. I like a lot of other stuff, but mainly I like cats. Since tolerance is mentioned over and over again in the FAQ (yep, I actually read it) I presume I won't be kicked off the board if I say I'm not yet entirely sure whether or not I believe in the literal truth of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and we believe that everybody's "truth" is as valid as everybody else's, so I'm more inclined to see the FSM without the meatballs, but that doesn't mean I think you folks are "wrong" or that your picture of the FSM is invalid. Maybe I'm a Pastaprimavarian. Isn't it wonderful how we can all eat spaghetti in our different ways, and with different kinds and colors of toppings! I learned about this site on Prius Chat, a chat board for enthusiasts of the car I drive. (A car which, by the way, offers convincing evidence for the existence of the FSM because only by invoking Noodly Appendages is it really possible to explain how the thing works.)
Daniel

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."
-- Emma Goldman

Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby Tickle » Mon May 22, 2006 1:31 pm

daniel wrote: I like cats. I like a lot of other stuff, but mainly I like cats.

You're in luck!

http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4941

http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewtopic ... arian+pets

Look at all those cats...

daniel wrote:tolerance is mentioned over and over again in the FAQ (yep, I actually read it)

We know - If you didn't, Auntie Dee Dee would have ripped off you arms... :wink:
Thought of the Day:

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~ Robert Byrne

Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Alpaca » Mon May 22, 2006 1:38 pm

daniel wrote:I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and we believe that everybody's "truth" is as valid as everybody else's, so I'm more inclined to see the FSM without the meatballs, but that doesn't mean I think you folks are "wrong" or that your picture of the FSM is invalid. Maybe I'm a Pastaprimavarian. Isn't it wonderful how we can all eat spaghetti in our different ways, and with different kinds and colors of toppings!

We had a discussion about this awhile back. The FSM isn't really pasta, just a something that manifests itself as pasta. It's really whatever you want it to be.

Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Postby Sir Francis Drake » Mon May 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Exactly. And many of us who do actually subscribe to the idea of FSM as God tend to do so with the understanding that The Creator would be so overwhelmingly over our heads that it doesn't matter what image we make of Him, Her or It- it's probably way off-target anyway! The most important thing is that we're trying to live our lives as harmoniously as possible so that what has been created (intelligently or otherwise) runs as smoothly as possible.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau

daniel

Postby daniel » Mon May 22, 2006 5:27 pm

And yet, the Pastafarian theory of gravity depends precisely on the Noodly Appendages, suggesting that the FSM really is something very like spaghetti, otherwise we'd all float off into space.

And besides, I really like the idea that the world was created by a bowl of spaghetti (even if the bowl is not part of the standard version, either). AA says that your "higher power" can be a doorknob. (I actually learned that from overeaters annonymous.) A doorknob just doesn't do it for me, but maybe a bowl of spaghetti... And just imagine the poetic beauty of going to OA and saying that my "higher power" is a bowl of spaghetti... which I know is somewhat of a poetic license and probably not fair to the FSM, but there are times when art must rule over reality...

But it's nice to know that there's no problem with my visualizing the FSM without the meatballs.
Daniel

-- Emma Goldman

daniel

Postby daniel » Mon May 22, 2006 5:31 pm

P.S. Say, Wald, where is EICHTINGCH? Is that in Germany?
Daniel

-- Emma Goldman

Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Alpaca » Mon May 22, 2006 6:08 pm

Um... that.

That was from when I decided one day to use my location field to count upward from one...

..Then I started modifying the spellings of the numbers....

...Then I got bored and stopped at eighteen.

Most of us here are peculiar in some way. :mrgreen:

EVA 01
Conchigliette Convert

Postby EVA 01 » Mon May 22, 2006 8:21 pm

... :o ...

I'm glad to join your loony bin
Eva Nerd

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon May 22, 2006 8:32 pm

um.... lunny? not that we'll shun you for bad spelling, we do encourage better spelling (hell, I mess up most of the time, but for the longest time I wouldn't capitilize any 'i''s. go figure)

I'll just assume, or better yet, HOPE that you meant loony. :D
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon May 22, 2006 8:49 pm

okay fine, so he (or you, dosen't say which of you) edited it.

whos the dude in the avatar? looks kinda cool... but also kinda creeeepy.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Mon May 22, 2006 10:41 pm

Avast ! Yarrrrr by not introducin yerself ye be introducin yerself. Yaaaaaaaaar! Ye shuld do well here.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Bob the Unbeliever » Mon May 22, 2006 11:25 pm

This seems like a good place to post my 400'th post.

I don't have anything earth-shattering to say, except that I've enjoyed the first 399 posts and the reception I recieved immensly.

I used to spend a great deal of time on other forums (which shall remain nameless for now).

But as I grow busy due to the summer demand (I work on A/C units among other things) I find I only have time for a single forum, and FSM is the one I seem to go to first/most.

It's interesting and polite. It has a broad range of ideas and people.

But, mostly, it's polite.

Thanks to all who help keep it that way (especially DD)!

:o

falparsi
Conchigliette Convert

Greetings

Postby falparsi » Tue May 23, 2006 9:51 am

Hi,

I am new here and was attracted by the fragrance and beauty of the acolytes I passed on my way to the chapel.

Also, I may be in the market for a non-specific miracle as I have just had an email informing that my wife is made of bees.

Michael.

toapp
Conchigliette Convert

relieved

Postby toapp » Tue May 23, 2006 10:04 am

HAR!

Never have I felt such a overwhelming feeling of happyness. After 39 years of denial of the existance of a god I now know I WAS WRONG! There was one, only I never knew the form.

Now, knowing of FSM, all falls in place.. All the answers for questions that couldn't be answered are clear to me. No more worries, no more responsibilities

And the outlook on vulcano's of beer in heaven helps as well

Yes.. I admit.. I'm a pastafarian.. A Dutch pastafarian..

Return to “Standards and Practices”