Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Word of the Day

Postby PKMKII » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:39 pm

effleurage
-noun
a delicate stroking motion in massage.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:57 am

effleurage (n) -

2. That which is experienced when constipated for long periods of time.

^ *don't make an inappropriate comment, don't make an inappropriate comment*
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:35 pm

crithidia
-noun
The stage of development of certain flagellate parasites of vertebrates in the insect host, such as the multiplying form of the agent of African sleeping sickness in the tsetse fly.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:29 pm

PKMKII wrote:effleurage
-noun
a delicate stroking motion in massage. Favoured by many amateur masseuse [and gunslingers] to tone the upper body.

Roland wrote:^ *don't make an inappropriate comment, don't make an inappropriate comment*

Oops.... cart... horse... :haha:

PKMKII wrote:crithidia
-noun
1. The stage of development of certain flagellate parasites of vertebrates in the insect host, such as the multiplying form of the agent of African sleeping sickness in the tsetse fly.

2. a word avoided by speech therapists treating a lisping impediment.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:17 pm

^ :haha: Excellent.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm

ochlocracy
-noun
government by the mob; mob rule; mobocracy.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:39 pm

ochmoncracy [n]

self-government by tartan wearing cross dressers

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 am

historiography
-noun
1. the body of literature dealing with historical matters; histories collectively.
2. the body of techniques, theories, and principles of historical research and presentation; methods of historical scholarship.
3. the narrative presentation of history based on a critical examination, evaluation, and selection of material from primary and secondary sources and subject to scholarly criteria.
4. an official history: medieval historiographies.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

oleaginous
-adjective
1. having the nature or qualities of oil.
2. containing oil.
3. producing oil.
4. unctuous; fawning; smarmy.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:15 pm

luxate
-verb
to put out of joint; dislocate: The accident luxated the left shoulder.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:37 am

eudemonia
-noun
1. happiness; well-being.
2. Aristotelianism. happiness as the result of an active life governed by reason.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm

pseudoeudemonia
-noun
A false sense of happiness or well-being usually at its height just before someone sinks the boot in... :haha:

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm

pseudodemonia
-noun
1. A false sense of being possessed by demons.
2. State of being possessed, by entities falsely claiming to be demons.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby ken worley » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Peudoeudamania (soo-doh-yoo-da-man-ee-ah) n.-False sense of
confidence orpotency resulting from:
A. Too much alcohol
B. Too much adolescent music
C. Having ass kissed by people who want something,
while they ply you with alcohol and music

pseudovoodoostainia- (soo-doh-voo-doo-stayn-ee-ah) n.
The false assertion that the skidmarked briefs in the hamper
came from someone or somewhere else.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 pm

fugacious
-adjective
1. fleeting; transitory: a sensational story with but a fugacious claim on the public's attention.
2. Botany. falling or fading early.

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”