What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby PKMKII » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 am

Watched The Castle of Cagliostro a couple nights ago. Fun plot, a bit more elevated than the other Lupin the III content, and you can see the gestation of the Miyazaki genius that was to come.

Also, last night I watched Let the Right One In. Highly creepy, especially with the classic Scandinavian pacing. I really liked that it put everything in a moral gray zone, where the protagonists are both likable and amoral. Plus, lots of controversial sexuality. Not surprised that part got neutered in the American remake.

However, I can't help but think I'm missing some symbolism in the movie. The references to Russians and Communism, the foreign teacher, the general uselessness of the adults. I feel like there's more there than what I was picking up on.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain
Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:47 am

I just watched 127 hours, which was good. The guy hiked out of the Grand Canyon, dehydrated, malnourished, extremely fatigued, and missing an arm. Samuel L. Jackson should be taking BAMF lessons from him.

I also watched Hellraiser, which I had managed to not see up until now. I wish it had stayed that way. I've seen movies that made absolutely no sense, but this was worse. This movie made negative sense. Normally I like bad movies. I loved Megashark vs. Giant Octopus, as I believe I've mentioned before. Bad horror movies though, always seem to disappoint more than bad movies of any other genre, and this one did so with a vengeance. It was worse than 28 Days Later, and I really hate that movie. To be fair though, it wasn't quite as bad as Transmorphers, so I guess it could have been worse. Not by much though.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:I just watched 127 hours, which was good. The guy hiked out of the Grand Canyon, dehydrated, malnourished, extremely fatigued, and missing an arm. Samuel L. Jackson should be taking BAMF lessons from him.

Missin an arm matey...Yaaargh he was lucky!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 am

I remember when the book for that was required reading back in high school. Wasn't half bad indeed. Hope the movie lives up to it.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:52 am

Julius Aurora wrote:I remember when the book for that was required reading back in high school. Wasn't half bad indeed. Hope the movie lives up to it.

Are you telling us there's a film called:

Missin an arm matey...Yaaargh he was lucky!

Who's in it?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:56 am

Bill Raisch played an excellent lead character. Plot wasn't entirely there though.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:05 am

Took the cabin boys to see Paul the other day. Had some funny moments, but wasn't terrific. It did have an ongoing theme of ID v Evolution going on.

Regarding the earlier discussion about UFOs, I saw a great documentary on the origin of the flying saucer in our culture and it traces back to the Nazis. Wish I could remember the name of it, but it all boils down to developing military weaponry.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain
Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:33 am

I watched The Goods last night. Aside from Craig Robinson's character (DJ Request, who refused to play anybody's requests, and in fact played pretty much the exact opposite of whatever they wanted to hear), the movie was pretty terrible.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Caught "Limitless" today and enjoyed it.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:57 am

Rainswept wrote:Caught "Limitless" today and enjoyed it.

That wasn't a half bad film. Saw it the other day with the adjustment bureau. Also not too bad. Both had excellent concepts, but could have used them a tad more creatively though, in both films I thought.
- Henry Mencken

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:13 am

bacon: if you ever want WAY TOO FRAGGING MUCH INFO on UFO crap, I have it all... up... here! (points to head) Ok, maybe not all of it, because paranoid schizophrenic suckers make stuff up faster than it's possible to read it, but, as Lord Nikon said, approximately, in Hackers: "I don't know how much I got, but it's a lot. I think it's giving me a migraine."

I just watched Clint Eastwood's great story of an elemental (mountain spirit) avenger "Pale Rider." (Then I threw in the star-studded feel-good western "Silverado" for comic relief so I wouldn't obsess on Pale Rider too much.) Pale Rider was basically Clint's more approachable sequel to "High Plains Drifter" and although I doubt he would put it quite that way, it's really the same theme. His penchant for playing unnamed characters / ethereal manifestations is ironically funny to me.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 am

Arkaeon wrote:bacon: if you ever want WAY TOO FRAGGING MUCH INFO on UFO crap, I have it all... up... here! (points to head) Ok, maybe not all of it, because paranoid schizophrenic suckers make stuff up faster than it's possible to read it, but, as Lord Nikon said, approximately, in Hackers: "I don't know how much I got, but it's a lot. I think it's giving me a migraine."

It is not suprising that there are som many alien stories out there.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:05 am

Arkaeon wrote:I just watched Clint Eastwood's great story of an elemental (mountain spirit) avenger "Pale Rider." (Then I threw in the star-studded feel-good western "Silverado" for comic relief so I wouldn't obsess on Pale Rider too much.) Pale Rider was basically Clint's more approachable sequel to "High Plains Drifter" and although I doubt he would put it quite that way, it's really the same theme. His penchant for playing unnamed characters / ethereal manifestations is ironically funny to me.

I thought I was the only one who watched Silverado. Nice to see someone else out there likes that one.

Reminds me that I haven't watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in quite some time. . . might be something to do today.

The UFO phenomena is quite interesting to me on the psychological level. When the sighting first started the culture at the time was focused on aliens. Look at what a lot of the popular movies were - not only in the US, but in Japan as well - stories of space ships, aliens landing and strange monsters. The documentary I was referring to, was based on the actual Nazi attempt to create a military airplane that was circular in shape and could lift off the ground vertically. It looked exactly like the UFOs that people claim to see near Area 51. There is documentation of the mechanicals that went behind building it as well prototypes. Not surprising that the US would try and build their own and not at all surprising that if one would crash that the first on the scene would be the government cleaning up their mess and preventing any details of their work to be hushed up before their work could be stolen. It was great that the public bought the UFO story so easily and to this day still believe it.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Watched Toy Story 3. Here's my thoughts on the most important scenes of the movie: [SPOILER]OMG Totoro! Totoro Totoro Totoro Totoro!!![/SPOILER]
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 am

Arkaeon wrote:I just watched Clint Eastwood's great story of an elemental (mountain spirit) avenger "Pale Rider."

You know if you play 'Go ahead... make my day' backwards Clint is saying 'may the FSM touch you' :haha:
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”