What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 am

Arkaeon wrote:Dear Ubi Dubium: I have no idea what you're talking about with this "bottom of the board" stuff, but by the time you can explain it to me, the day will be over anyway, so I'll try to sort it out next year.

If you put your birthday into your profile information, on the day it shows up at the bottom of the main forum index. Click 'Board Index' and scroll right to the bottom for a long list of spambots' birthdays :wink:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:13 am

Tripping the Rift: The Movie. Funny, satirical, crude. The humor was fun, and the animation looks good for something that's obviously not got a Pizar budget. But the plot was not really a movie plot, more like a series of vignettes loosely stringed together. Did features the voice acting talents of Stephen Root, who was also in:

The Men Who Stare at Goats. Really perfected portraying those oddball, far-fetched paranormal/psychic military projects in a way that makes you go "This seems ridiculous but I completely buy that the military would have been trying this." Clooney, particularly, was perfect as the scary serious disciple. However, the plot was rather weak and simplistic. It's really the paranormal/psychic bits that make the movie work.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:23 am

PKMKII wrote:The Men Who Stare at Goats. Really perfected portraying those oddball, far-fetched paranormal/psychic military projects in a way that makes you go "This seems ridiculous but I completely buy that the military would have been trying this." Clooney, particularly, was perfect as the scary serious disciple. However, the plot was rather weak and simplistic. It's really the paranormal/psychic bits that make the movie work.

I felt that the movie was true to the book (so rare these days), and I love that book.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:31 am

The Adjustment Bureau. Pinched 'the Observer' character from Fringe and made a movie... only without shaved heads. It's OK but wouldn't rave.

^^ Loved Men who stare at Goats... prolly agree with you guys that the characterizations pull it off.

I've seen and enjoyed some time ago The girl with the Dragon Tatoo... [revenge is sweet :D]... must get around to watching the other two in the series now!
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:34 am

The best part of The Men Who Stare At Goats is when George Clooney tells Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi) that he is a Jedi. :lol:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:The best part of The Men Who Stare At Goats is when George Clooney tells Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi) that he is a Jedi. :lol:

That was the greatest moment, up there with Vadar telling Lukey that he was his father.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:57 am

^I liked the bit when the general tried to run through the wall.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain
Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Over vacation I saw Salt, The Other Guys, and Dinner For Schmucks. None of them were all that great. Luckily, I watched them late at night, so it didn't interfere with anything important.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:45 am

Battle: Los Angeles... I heard it wasn't too bad, but by the end I was cheering for the Aliens to win. Why do aliens have a bipedal, humanoid form in their battle armour but are just like Mr Blobby when cut open? Only watch it if you have time to waste and can for free.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:00 am

Becuase they learned the lesson from the Daleks?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 am

Might be Mr Blobby inside but externally biped/humanoid he ain't.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:20 am

Yes, and movement on cobblestone roads proved difficult very difficult for them. Something future invaders would like to avoid, I'd imagine.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:09 am

I saw Rocky Horror Picture Show on Friday, with a large audience. Luckily one person in particular knew a lot of the things to say, and there was a larger contingent who didn't know as many, but were still supporting him. It makes me want to go see it done "professionally" again.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:40 pm

It's just a jump to the left... And then a step to the riiiiiiight...
Classic. Good to see 'another generation'^ caught in the time warp. Rather see Rocky than Sound of Music!
[goes off to find copy of RHPS]

FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain
Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:19 pm

I saw Grown Ups. It was decent, but nothing too special. I also watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which I rather liked. As an added benefit, it has given me some ideas for a project for my theater class.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”