What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby PKMKII » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:03 am

Crazy Heart. Bridges was, as usual, great, and they did a very good job of depicting the country music world. But the plot was rather straightforward and cookie-cutter.

Ubi Dubius wrote:Why do so many Americans care about the British Royals?

Ugh, tell me about it. It's going to be a pain avoiding the media coverage on Friday.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:39 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:The King's Speech.

I tried, I really did, but I could not get myself to care about any of these characters, especially Bertie/George VI (sorry if that's a spoiler). OK, maybe I cheered for Lionel a little, but that's it. Why do so many Americans care about the British Royals? What a bunch of whiners.

I liked it rather better than Ubi Dubius did. For most people, if they find themselves in a job that their talents leave them completely unsuited for, they would go find a different job. For Bertie that was impossible, or at least he tought it was. What he was good at was being a Navy Officer, which apparently did not involve public speaking in front of crowds. Not only did Bertie have a stammer, but the pressure of making a speech would make it much worse.

The one thing I would have liked to see more of in the film is what was pressuring Bertie to take the job after his brother had stepped down. What would have been so awful about Bertie claiming he was unqualified and stepping aside for the next heir? They really didn't go into that. Perhaps we should have met the next in line and found out that he was awful and would have been a disaster. Or had his Mother leaning on him a bit more. Something more than just the general "Keep Calm and Carry On" and "Stiff Upper Lip" sort of thing.

Oh, and Churchill was miscast. Timothy Spall may be a good actor, but I could not suspend my disbelief enough to see him as Churchill. I just saw Wormtail talking like Churchill
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 pm

My friends have informed me that the Atlas Shrugged movie is unwatchable. I'm sad. :cry:
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Rainswept wrote:My friends have informed me that the Atlas Shrugged movie is unwatchable. I'm sad. :cry:

I'm not surprised. I found the book close to unreadable.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:46 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:
Rainswept wrote:My friends have informed me that the Atlas Shrugged movie is unwatchable. I'm sad. :cry:

The book did have some interesting ideas at least. And the story wasn't totally a disaster. Not that I would ever read it twice.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 am

¿Por que?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:55 pm

"¿Por que?" is Spanish for "What is Canadian bacon made of?" right? :moon:
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Just got done watching Mongol. I can see the validity of some of the criticisms, such as mostly unchanging, one-dimensional characters, and how you can always predict how they will respond to any situation, but the fight scenes were ridiculously awesome, and I like the fact that it looked a little more into Genghis Khan's character than the usual "raving, frothing-at-the-mouth barbarian at the head of a mighty horde." It actually portrays him as a tactician with a slightly more developed playbook than simply "CHARGE!!!"

I'd recommend it.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:

It's actually my favorite book, but it'd be a verrry tough film to make a good movie on.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Despicable Me. Cute, but the story was largely predictable, the rivalry with Vector felt forced, and outside of Gru, the characters felt one-dimensional. Still though, the Minions were genius. I'm surprised they haven't gotten their own Saturday morning cartoon spin-off yet.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sun May 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Waiting for "Superman"

I think what was interesting about the problem with education in America, is that the solutions aren't that far-fetched or unmanageable. Like so many other problems (agriculture, health care), there are just vested interest standing in the way who's self-interest does not align with what is best for the American people. Although I wished it dealt more with the problem that the standards at universities for the education departments are often low or non-existent for potential majors.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue May 03, 2011 10:01 am

Disney nature's African Cats, actually. Fun movie, not too long, lots of amazing shots of mostly the Lions and Cheetahs, but some other gems too (There's some hilarious aardvarks, I think, fighting). Samuel L Jackson narrates, and it's obvious he had a good time doing it.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Started to watch Brooklyns Finest last night and couldn't finish it. Did the movie have a point?
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Wed May 11, 2011 5:09 am

"I Love You Phillip Morris"

I'm sure it wasn't popular with some but I enjoyed it. I quite like Carrey when he's not trying too hard with his madcap ways.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed May 11, 2011 11:02 am

I watched a bit of 'Aliens' last night (I'll catch up with the rest of the movie soon). I'd forgotten how good that film is, I love Bill Paxton's performance as a Pvt Hudson, he's completely hysterically terrified and you can't really blame him.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”