What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby tris » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Just watched "Contact" for the third time..... I can't help feeling the tears come to my eyes in sympathy with Jodie Foster and her long lost dad... it's a trifle corny, but it works a treat!
I love that film.... the book is cool too!

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:21 pm

tris wrote:Just watched "Contact" for the third time..... I can't help feeling the tears come to my eyes in sympathy with Jodie Foster and her long lost dad... it's a trifle corny, but it works a treat!
I love that film.... the book is cool too!
I love that film. I must have seen it at least 20 times. Really need to re-read the book as not read it since...well, a while anyways lol.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:40 am

We watched that movie at the end of the year in World Religions, of all classes. I think it's mostly because Jodie Foster's character reminds people of the World Religions Teacher... :wink:

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:15 am

speaking of movies about money, i have a memory of a film from the 70's or 80's about the journey of a single $| bill. it ultimately winds up in the hands of a homeless woman who trades it in for a new one at the end. Anyone remember such a movie?

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:30 am

TwistedSister wrote:
black bart wrote:
TwistedSister wrote:I think Bart would really enjoy Cramer. Might remind him of someone...... :whistle:

I'm not familiar with this personnage...please enlighten me.

Enjoy!
http://vodpod.com/watch/2915849-seinfeld-kramer-cooking

:haha: I recognise him now...I saw them all on Curb's latest series when they had a hilarious/disastrous Seinfeld reunion.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 am

tris wrote:
black bart wrote: I watched the film 'Moon' last night, brilliant but rather sad...definitely recommend it though.
Moon was fantastic.... with Sam Rockwell, right? Real futuristic exitentialism! It had a (sort of) happy ending though..... didn't it?

It was a sort of Happy ending but by then you'd almost died from the pathos of it all. I need to watch it again it's great.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:We watched that movie at the end of the year in World Religions, of all classes. I think it's mostly because Jodie Foster's character reminds people of the World Religions Teacher... :wink:
Having a teacher that looked like Jodie Foster would have been cool. She's a nice looking young lady... :lech:

You could argue that due to the differing attitudes of religion portrayed in the film, it was showing that there is good and bad in all things. This is also brought into play with the scientists as well:-

Religion Bad/Manipulative - Joseph (the fundamentalist)
Religion Neutral - Richard Rank (could arguably interchange with Palmer Joss)
Religion Good/Moral - Palmer Joss

Science Bad/Manipulative - David Drumlin
Science Neutral - S.R Hadden/Michael Kitz
Science Good/Moral - Eleanor Arroway

Back to last films, I only just watched Titan A.E this morning. How could I not have seen this before? I remember it coming out at the cinema. I would highly recommend this to you all. It's a shame it sunk at the box office and the studio shut down. Joss Whedon (1 of 3 screenplay writers for the film) hasn't had a lot of luck since Buffy...

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:IMHO, Millions was really about the contrast between the younger brother's morality, which sees money as a tool to achieve something with; and the older brother's morality, which sees money as an end and not a means.

Very similar to Slumdog Millionaire, no?

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Just finished watching Date Movie. It's made in the same vein as the Scary Movie series, but instead takes on love/dating movies. It's a (sometimes childishly) funny film that allows you to take off your thinking cap and sit back for 83 minutes. I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen it, so don't worry. As a big Alyson Hannigan fan (she's a redhead, so this is instant win for me!), the first 13 minutes kinda freaked me out :shocked:. There is an all-too-brief scene 17 minutes in that is made of win though :lech: . Shame about the graphics during it :furious:.

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Saw the latest Alice in Wonderland. It wasn't bad, but I don't see myself rushing out to buy the dvd the day it's released. My bf said he thought the effects were too obviously cg, but I counter that Wonderland tends to have a feeling of unreality anyway, so it kinda works.

Tried to see Shutter Island last night, but the tickets sold out! Kinda disappointed; I love a good psychological thriller, which it seems to be, judging from the previews.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Valanthe wrote:Saw the latest Alice in Wonderland. It wasn't bad......
Everyone I know who's seen it says it's very disappointing, and I'm not a GREAT Tim Burton fan (except when it comes to "Sleepy Hollow") So I think I'll be giving that one a miss!
Valanthe wrote: Tried to see Shutter Island last night, but the tickets sold out! Kinda disappointed; I love a good psychological thriller, which it seems to be, judging from the previews.
It's had rather terrible reviews in Italy, and I think Scorsese Might be getting a bit old and doddery if The Departed (2006) and Gangs of New York (2002) are anything to go by..... altho' I enjoyed The Aviator (2004) and Shine a Light (2008) was OK, altho' that was thanks to the Rolling Stones rather than him. My well-founded fear is that he makes a crap film every 4 or 5 years (in fact Kundun (1997) was disappointing too) with good ones in between, such as Bringing Out the Dead (1999), so this year is right on cue for a downer... and a 2 and a half hour downer at that! But I guess I'll check it out anyway... it's on at the local cinema for only €4, but sadly it'll all be dubbed into Wop-speak!
I saw "Wolfman" last night and enjoyed it a lot, altho' my friends didnt.
I guess all I need to really enjoy myself is to see a savage hairy mythological beast running thru' the woods howling and dismembering or devouring the hapless fools who try to f**k with him...... it's a childish kind of primitive satisfaction, but I guess I'm just a simple kind of guy when it comes down to it

2 negative Italian reviews:

Scorsese, costretto a «inscatolare» il proprio talento in film meno coraggiosi, quale è appunto Shutter Island, un thriller psicologico di ineccepibile fattura, teso e inquietante per almeno due terzi, interpretato da un sempre ottimo DiCaprio, ma lontano dal coraggio di sperimentare e di rischiare che contraddistingueva il regista almeno fino a Al di là della vita.

da qualche anno Martin Scorsese fa film sempre più sfarzosi e sempre meno belli. La vibrante necessità dei vecchi capolavori (da Toro scatenato in giù) sembra scomparsa. Come spesso accade a Hollywood, il regista ha finalmente vinto l'Oscar per un lavoro a tutti gli effetti minore (The Departed, remake-fotocopia di un film hongkonghese)

2 positive Italian review:

Una seconda visione di Shutter Island si renderà necessaria, per ripercorrere la storia nei suoi punti cruciali ma ancor di più per apprezzarne fantasia e isterismo. Il gioco vale la candela, solo pochi euro e avrete in tasca un biglietto di sola andata per un'isola da brividi. 138 minuti di viaggio senza certezze sul ritorno.!

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Hmmm. I thought that Alice in Wonderland looked interesting. The story has always had a really dark element to me, and with Tim Burton at the helm, I thought he would accentuate that darkness. I've liked Tim Burton's films since I first saw Edward Scissorhands when it was first released. I shall have to see for myself.

I saw Ridley Scott's film A Good Year with Russell Crowe and Albert Finney the other night. It's a story of a stockbroker who inherits a vineyard in Provence, something that would be awesome imo. Spending your days being forced to sample your crop must be hell :haha:. I find that i'm always pleasantly surprised with Russell Crowe's films. His characters are always portrayed in such a believable way, you'd think he was the actual person he was portraying. I'd also recommend A Beautiful Mind and The Insider if you like him.

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:58 pm

We (Ubi Dubium and me) watched Platoon this afternoon. We had forgotten Johnny Depp was in it.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:26 am

Well, that makes me want to see that movie more. Though I've had a hankering for Armageddon since I caught a bit of it on FX and remembered who all was in it.

I thought Alice in Wonderland was very good. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually "Through the Looking Glass," which is a darker, more adult book anyway. I agree with the idea of it being a weird unreality, so some special effect obviousness is allowed. I mean, take the Red Queen, for instance. Clearly CGI, but that's the point.

Also some things about the plot, at least early on. There's a point where she's just walking with Tweedledee and Tweedledum, and then they get snatched up, and she keeps going in some direction for no well explained reason. But it's quick, and it works. I quickly decided it was part of the dream-like nature of it all, like when you're walking in a dream, and you don't know where you're going, but you're just going there because that's what you do in the dream. Most of it makes more sense and has a good pace, though.

The Academy Awards was fun to watch. w00t for women, I suppose. :grin:

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:27 pm

We watched Full Metal Jacket the other day for the first time. I was surprised by how much I loved it! It will definitely go up as one of my favorite movies.

Last night, I tried to watch the original Cape Fear, but I fell asleep :annoyed: .

Oh yeah, I also watched a very good documentary on Enron. I had forgotten a lot of the key players in the scandal, and learned so much more. Let's just say the list of banks that I won't do business with anymore has increased.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”