What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby tris » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 pm

"Moon" with Sam Rockwell and directed by David Bowies's son... I thought it might be a downer, being directed by the offspring of a celeb, but actually it was shot-hot... alot of tension and interest, all sustained by Sam alone... well, I say alone in the sense that he was the only actor but... well you'll have to see the movie to understand that he wasn't really alone in the film! Sam Rockwell is such a great actor... I love his desperate smile which makes you want to pat him and give him a dog biscuit!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:51 am

watching "dawn of the dead" again right now!!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Watching TNT's annual broadcast of The Wizard of Oz. It's a fun film, but I do like the book(s) better.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Office Space. Some hilarious moments, on the whole mediocre.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Just bought The Naked Gun: From The Files Of Police Squad, The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell Of Fear, and Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult on DVD for £5 in a bin at the supermarket checkout. Nice beaver...

Thanks! I just had it stuffed.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:07 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:Office Space. Some hilarious moments, on the whole mediocre.

We also saw Kiki's Delivery Service. Cute and fun. Not Miyazaki's best, but worthwhile all the same. I still prefer the wild sense of imagination we saw in Totoro and Spirited Away.

Office Space is better for memorable quotes and individual great moments than it is for the storyline.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Just bought The Naked Gun: From The Files Of Police Squad, The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell Of Fear, and Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult on DVD for £5 in a bin at the supermarket checkout. Nice beaver...

The third one is a bit rubbish but the first two are great.

"I've got a message for you from Vincent Ludwig!"
*fires gun*
"Stop firing the gun, I can't hear what you're saying!"
:haha:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:
We also saw Kiki's Delivery Service. Cute and fun. Not Miyazaki's best, but worthwhile all the same. I still prefer the wild sense of imagination we saw in Totoro and Spirited Away.

I prefer Princess Mononoke myself. Very different from the others. More violence, a slightly less rambleing plot, and instead of nearly everyone being helpful allies exept for a few very clear villans, everyone seem to fall into a shade of grey, everyone on their own side, which was not good or evil, but simply may have had some goals that conflicted with that of others.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Saw Avatar the other night. I really wanted to like it, but I am just sick of movies where mankind, technology, and corporations are all evil. There were hundreds of humans in the film, and maybe 5 or 6 were represented with anything remotely resembling a single moral characteristic. Seriously, 99% of them were written as pure, cliched evil. The aliens, of course, were multilayered, thoughtful, honorable, charitable, knew far more about how everything really works than the people, and had not a single noticeable flaw other than not being able to judge just how evil mankind was.

If that stuff doesn't bug you like it does me, it was an ok movie. All the standard over-the-top writing they put in action movies is included... (Why the hell would giant robot exoskeletons come equipped with oversized, close quarters Rambo-knives?!?)
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:13 am

Saw the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol on AMC the other night. I think it's the first one I saw, so it tends to be near and dear to my heart.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:36 am

Valanthe wrote:Saw the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol on AMC the other night. I think it's the first one I saw, so it tends to be near and dear to my heart.

I've seen so many versions of that, but George C. Scott's version is by far the best. It's about the only one where Scrooge is played as a person and not a caricature. Michael Caine also did a good job with it, but buried in the Muppet version it's hard to notice.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Watched "Music From Another Room". One of the best love stories ever.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:48 am

Watched "Inglourious Basterds." I think it's a good film if you view as what most of Tarantino's films are: a meta-film making commentary about film genres. In that frame of mind, it hit all the points about how WWII has come to be depicted in popular culture. The Jew/Nazi role reversal, in particular, had a depth of meaning that was impressive.
I also found the whole bit where the nazi officer makes the comparison of King Kong to the experience of the African slave coming to America spot on, and showed Tarantino's voice coming through the script (he likes to find these things in movies).
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Have any of you watched Avatar yet? As ever there are mixed reviews, but the general picture I'm getting is it's great but rather tree-huggy.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:03 am

I just got done with The Hangover. After all the hype, it was good, but not great. I liked it but the good bits were seperated by some annoyingly wide stretches of.....nothing.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”