What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby black bart » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:54 am

That's what I meant I think...suddenly they became actors or rather Tarantino brought that out of them.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:11 am

Roy Hunter wrote: So what's more important? The story, or all the gubbins that goes with it?

In the case of Kill Bill, I think it's the gubbins. The story only needed to be enough to hold the rest of it together. As Ubi Dubius just said "Girl dumps guy, guy overreacts, girl gets revenge". That's enough. Now bring on the martial arts, hip cultural references, witty one-liners, and soundtrack. That's what really carries this film, anyway.

(BB+12)
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Roy Hunter wrote: Funnily enough, Michael Mann, the guy who brought us the hateful Miami Vice, is very good at that. Just have a look at Will Smith in Ali, or Tom Cruise in Collateral. Two film stars, doing a proper job of acting, and not appearing like themselves at all.

Funnily enough, Michael Mann did more or less the opposite thing in Public Enemies, in which he managed to get an actor (Johnny Depp - who I think is rather good, when he's not being a daft ponzy pirate) to turn in a very average and non-charismatic performance... I almost fell asleep in that movie (which is pretty rare for me to do!). Has he lost his magic touch, thanks to the curse of the "hateful" Miami Vice of 2006? (the last film he made before Public Enemies)

PS I just noticed you wrote "IMHO Jackie Brown is an almost perfect movie.... something tells me our tastes in movies are rather opposite... when I saw Jackie Brown at the cinema I was sort of glad when the projector broke down halfway thru and they gave us all our money back (it was the version dubbed into Italian tho', which oftne destroys a good movie... unfortunately it's often the only version you can see at the cinema over here!)
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:20 pm

My bf wants to go see 2012 this weekend. I really don't care one way or the other, but I'm reminded of the fact that Roland Emmerich is attached to it, and he's the same genius who handed us the American Godzilla film and Independence Day, neither of which impressed me much. The one thing I can say about 2012 at this point is that it looks pretty from an fx standpoint.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Valanthe wrote:My bf wants to go see 2012 this weekend. I really don't care one way or the other, but I'm reminded of the fact that Roland Emmerich is attached to it, and he's the same genius who handed us the American Godzilla film and Independence Day, neither of which impressed me much. The one thing I can say about 2012 at this point is that it looks pretty from an fx standpoint.

Not to mention the scientifically bunk, poorly written "The Day After Tomorrow."

We had this joke about that movie, that the political leaders in it were so worried about how to get people out of the northern half of America, but there was absolutely no mention of Canada. So we joked that the Canadians' reaction to the disaster was "Ya Aye, that blizzard was pretty nippy, eh?"
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:17 am

watched i am legend the other night
i thought it was a pretty good movie
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:58 pm

That's funny because i bought that the other day!!!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:08 pm

I Am Legend wasn't bad. Richard Matheson wrote the original novel, the same person who wrote What Dreams May Come. Good read, if a bit different than the movie, but what else is new?
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:11 pm

PKMKII wrote:
Valanthe wrote:My bf wants to go see 2012 this weekend. I really don't care one way or the other, but I'm reminded of the fact that Roland Emmerich is attached to it, and he's the same genius who handed us the American Godzilla film and Independence Day, neither of which impressed me much. The one thing I can say about 2012 at this point is that it looks pretty from an fx standpoint.

Not to mention the scientifically bunk, poorly written "The Day After Tomorrow."

I saw 2012 yesterday and enjoyed it immensely... it's incredibly stereotyped and predictable with lots of explosions and corny tear-jerking moments... but aren't 99% of US films like that? And yet somehow they manage to be very entertaining.
PS I agree that Independence Day was pretty crap, maybe Roland Emmerich was just learning how to do that kind of movie... but I thought The Day After Tomorrow was brilliant as a nail-biting movie-ride with plenty of amusing irony... who cares if it aint scientific... it wasnt supposed to be... was it?
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:26 pm

Just watched UP. All I can say is: how in the name of all that is noodly did this make it past the bean counters? [SPOILER]The wife dying (and that they kept bringing it up), the kid's estranged father, the hero turned psychotic killer, the dog that just wants a master that loves him.[/SPOILER] That doesn't sound like a set-up to a typical kid's film, it sounds like the set-up to a Ingmar Bergman film! I spent about a third of the film in tears; my girlfriend was crying starting at about the 20 minute mark and then for the rest of the film, and a half hour afterward. Lasseter must have some serious dirt on the Disney executives or something.

It was incredible, I must say. The way they rendered the light interacting with the balloons was genius. I could definitely see the Miyazaki influence on it, especially if you compare the elements of Castle in the Sky with UP; the airship motif, lost land of promise, the ruthless figure going after it for his own selfish wants. Good film, but keep some kleenex handy.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Went to see 2012, and was not disappointed. I was able to start logging things to complain about within the first 5 minutes. While I may not insist on perfect science, there still needs to be a certain level of believability, which I thought was missing from the film. No doubt it's going to be box office gold. What scares me is that there might actually be people out there who believe that it could actually happen.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Valanthe wrote:Went to see 2012, and was not disappointed. I was able to start logging things to complain about within the first 5 minutes. While I may not insist on perfect science, there still needs to be a certain level of believability, which I thought was missing from the film. No doubt it's going to be box office gold. What scares me is that there might actually be people out there who believe that it could actually happen.

people "out there" (if only they really were "out there" on a truly doomed planet!) have been believing that it could actually happen for centuries, and committing the worst atrocities in the name of creating a perfect pre-apocalyptic world... it's something about Christianity and monotheistic faiths that seems to attract these freaks... (read Ian McEwan's "the end of the world blues" for a better account than I can give in this space!)
Anyway I thought that film was great, who cares if it's scientifically flawed!... I also read "the fingerprints of the gods" by Graham Hancock which seems to have inspired much of the pseudo science in the film... it too is a very amusing book. Wiki says:
Hancock suggests that in 10,450 B.C., a major poleshift took place, before which Antarctica was further from the South Pole than it is today, and after which it was moved to its present location. This civilization was supposedly centered around Antarctica, and later survivors initiated the Olmec, Aztec, Maya, and Egyptian cultures.
The pole shift hypothesis hinges on Charles Hapgood's theory of Earth Crustal Displacement which has few supporters in the geological community compared to the more accepted model of plate tectonics.

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:53 pm

The flawed science isn't the only reason I don't care for 2012. The sheer predictability drives me nuts, too. It's the same reason I can't stand Wrong Turn. I like to be able to turn my brain off while I'm watching a movie, so I figure I should not see certain events coming a mile away.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Star Trek. Pretty good, the film felt like an actual story rather than something churned out for trekkies or an excuse for Nimoy to get out the pointy ears again. I'd have liked a bit more of Pegg but you can't have everything.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Maybe you'll get your wish in the sequel. I was impressed by the film (my bf just bought the dvd) enough to see it 3 times in the theater. I didn't spot the tribble until the third time I saw it.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”