What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Porco Rosso. It was really good. It's another Studio Ghibli production. Frankly, I wasn't expecting much. I don't know why, but I didn't think the idea of a seaplane-flying pig would do anything for me. (QOOC, of course). But I really liked it. The flying scenes are amazing. They're not dramatically overdone, and there are a bunch of funny scenes, as is Hayao Miyazaki's style.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Wawizzle » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Finally saw The Hangover two nights ago.

It was really enjoyable to watch but I didn't laugh that much. It might have been due to my body trying to force me to sleep. I'm no longer seeing any movies that begin past midnight.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:18 am

Ubi Dubium wrote: Oh, yes they managed to make it come out kind of positive in the end. But somehow a movie about a beehive that got off to a great start wound up with a courtroom scene, all the plants dying, a rose parade float being stolen, and a plane almost crashing. I don't think the writers really had a grip on where they should take a movie like this, so they went nuts and it came off as unfocused and random. It needed to stay mostly in the bee world, on a bee scale, to really be effective. They also had glaring scientific errors about bees and pollination, and by taking it into a realistic human world it made it hard to ignore those..... If a movie is going to go to all the trouble to create a complex alternate world, that is internally consistent and also fun, then it needs to stay there for most of the film. It is cute and fun. Rent it for the kids if they like bugs. Once. But I don't recommend buying the DVD.
Hmmmmm, i don't really see why the film had to stay in one place the whole time unless there was an archaicising attempt to adhere to the Aritotelian rules of the so-called unities of time, place, and action.
Nowadays we regularly violate the unity of time (which ideally limited the action to the duration of a single day) with flashbacks and non-chronological narration, etc. Even Shakespeare didn't bother with limiting his chronology to such a short time-span.
I suppose if you mess up the unity of action, involving a single set of incidents which are related as cause and effect, then the film can be a bit too wierd... but that's not necessarily so bad!
But since now we don't need to have the fifteen or so persons of the chorus moving about during the performance in either theatre or movie drama, or limit the action to one general locality, the "unity of place" was already violated by playwrights in the middle ages!
I quite liked the fact that the action moved around all over the place in Bee Movie... Variety is the spice of life! And the Bee worlds and human worlds were amusingly juxtaposed.
But if you wanna get all Aritotelian on me I will respectfully concede victory to your Grecian sense of aethetic purity!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote: I had the pleasure of viewing Little Miss Sunshine last night. It was consistently funny throughout the movie, but when it got to that final scene I was in hysterics. Maybe because I associate a little bit with Dwayne, the self-proscribed mute, and in that final scene he goes completely off-kilter, along with the rest of them.
I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but it is a truly fantastically tacky final scene.

I agree! I don't remember the final scene very well tho', unless you mean the sexy paedophilic strip tease dance?
Dwayne, the mute was fantastic (I identified with him too!) I wonder if the actor made any other movies?
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 pm

tris wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote: I had the pleasure of viewing Little Miss Sunshine last night. It was consistently funny throughout the movie, but when it got to that final scene I was in hysterics. Maybe because I associate a little bit with Dwayne, the self-proscribed mute, and in that final scene he goes completely off-kilter, along with the rest of them.
I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but it is a truly fantastically tacky final scene.

I agree! I don't remember the final scene very well tho', unless you mean the sexy paedophilic strip tease dance?
Dwayne, the mute was fantastic (I identified with him too!) I wonder if the actor made any other movies?
Well, according to IMDB, Paul Dano (Dwayne) has been in 19 other productions. He is also the executive producer on some movie called Gigantic, of which he also starred in.

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:36 am

Snakes On A Plane , they label that thing a thriller ?!
What a joke!
One of the worst things I've seen in a while .
It was so bad that it was funny , for a little while anyways , it was one of those films where I could multitask throughout and not miss anything important to the plot.
I actually gave it a good 15 minutes of undivided attention in total , perhaps 10 minutes more than necessary .
I cooked dinner , had a shower , cleaned the litter box , read the newspaper and didn't miss anything that mattered .
Yup , formula type movies with questionable acting and absurd situations etc. are so annoying to me .
Why does Hollywood insist upon creating these things ?

If they had promoted the film as a comedy I wouldn't be so angry with shelling out a perfectly good 8 bucks for a used copy . The DVD is an affront to my collection . I don't see any point in sitting through it again so the disk shall go where trash goes .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:43 am

The Sky Crawlers

Anime film, from Mamoru Oshii, guy who directed Ghost in the Shell. Had a rather good subtext about war and society, although the plot moved slowly.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Hey, I actually liked Snakes on a Plane.

It was pretty much the most honest movie I've seen in... well... a while.

And it didn't put me to sleep.

That is a definite plus.

But no, it's not very good.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Watched Eurotrip again, if anyone hasn't seen it it's like American Pie crossed with Road Trip. Personally I find it hysterical but other people have had divided opinions on it :grumpy:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:00 am

daftbeaker wrote:Watched Eurotrip again, if anyone hasn't seen it it's like American Pie crossed with Road Trip. Personally I find it hysterical but other people have had divided opinions on it :grumpy:
I have that on DVD. It is pretty good, but I can see why people would have "divided opinions" concerning it.

And Snakes on a Plane is everything it intends to be. It intends to be a parody of action B-movies, and it does it well. It's satire, I guess.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:And Snakes on a Plane is everything it intends to be. It intends to be a parody of action B-movies, and it does it well. It's satire, I guess.

true - should be labeled as a comedy
when i saw the option 'snake' was on the microwave it verified for me that they are making fun of b-horror movies

i just watched My Bloody Valentine - more brutal than i thought it would be and the villain is definitely creepy
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Wawizzle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:24 pm

Just saw Transformers, the new one.

Wow was it shitty. Really impressive special effects and such. But I was shaking my head the entire time at how corny/cheesy/stupid the whole movie was.

The crowded theatre I was in loved it but it turned me off almost the whole time.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Almost everyone I know has been saying; "OMFG TRANSFORMERZ WOOT!" pretty much exclusively for this entire week.

I hate to dump on yet another movie, but I'm not expecting much. (It only came out today over here, I think) It'll be another special-effects driven brain-melter, really. That's what the first one was.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:53 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
Wawizzle wrote:Wow was it shitty. Really impressive special effects and such. But I was shaking my head the entire time at how corny/cheesy/stupid the whole movie was.
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote: It'll be another special-effects driven brain-melter, really.
I suppose the Transformers movie is really just a promotional tool to sell the video game That will be another £40 it will cost me then...

I was listening to the Adam and Jo Podcast last week and they reviewed the Transformer Movie...Adam said he started to think about anoraks half way through the film. :oops:

I saw 'Blades of Glory' on DVD...another hilarious Will Ferrel film.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:15 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
black bart wrote:I was listening to the Adam and Jo Podcast last week
How do you put your earbuds in with a hook without puncturing your eardrum?

Arrr, good questshun...I has it broadcast ta me shippe by semaphore matey...isemaphore o course...none o yer Pirated stuff.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”