What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Atlas Shruged.

At least I will when I have time to read a fricken 800 page book.

Finrod
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Finrod » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Warlord of Elephants wrote:Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell
Sin WoE.

One of my favorite series of books, might I recommend The Archer's Tale by Cornwell as well.
"The avalanche has begun, the pebbles do not get a vote." Ambassador Kosh of the Vorlon Empire

"The universe is made up of three elements, matter, energy, and enlightened self interest."

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:15 pm

Finrod wrote:One of my favorite series of books, might I recommend The Archer's Tale by Cornwell as well.

It liked the Grail Quest a lot... I'm mostly bouncing up and down waiting for "Lord of the North" (book three in the Saxon stories)..... hurry,,, hurry... <sigh> :( Sin.WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm getting a copy of that as soon as I get back home. The only bookstore on this island is too far away....

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:44 pm

a Midsummers Night Dream by Shakespeare.

for class, but my aunt coincidentally sent me the complete works of shakespeare, so I'll be reading mostly Shakespeare for a while.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:49 pm

Oooh, the Folio. Fun.

I'm also reading The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White, of course, as well as Othello.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:05 am

1812 The Rivers of War. Eric Flint. Sin.WoE.

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Kris1991
Ziti Zealot

Postby Kris1991 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:19 am

We're reading "Romeo and Juliet" in English I.
Today we had to translate scene 1 into 'modern speak'. I actually understand it quite well compared to others in my class, but when I try to 'translate' it, it becomes a bit harder. To me it actually makes more sense and sounds better in the archaic speak. I geuss my mind is just weird.
-€h®i$ the Ninja/Pirate/Hippie

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help the bunny gain world domination. C&P him into your signature.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:57 am

it's like any translation. an translation from spanish to english is likely going to have the same bare minimum meaning, but the art of writing is extremely hard, if not impossible to translate across language.

yeah, elizabethean english and modern day english are still 'english', but I'd say they're languages different enough to be.... different languages.

I have a czech friend who speak fluent czech, and he told me once how he would sometimes over hear a couple of russian people talking. he could understand and figure out enough words to know what they meant because the languages were simmilar enough.

also, the iambic pentameter and occasional rhyming probably helps.

it's art; best viewed in its orginal format. I would imagine most scuptures and statues wouldn't be quite as artful if seen in the fourth dimension or the second. something like that.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

deadgenome
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby deadgenome » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:46 pm

About to start Albert Camus' 'The Fall'
-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-.,.-*`*-
+ don't get hung up on symbols +

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Skinkefar
Ziti Zealot

What im reading

Postby Skinkefar » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:24 am

Yaaarrharrr! Im reading this post! Yarrrh!
And on the day before the 1st, the spaghetti monster created god

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:43 am

Hell's Gate David Weber & Linda Evans
Sin.WoE.

Veritas
Ziti Zealot

Postby Veritas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Stranger Than Fiction - Chuck Palahniuk

This is the 6th book of his that I've read. And I'll be honest, they are all great reads.
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

"Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions."

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:46 am

I should read that, the movie looks great.

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:20 am

"Our Inner Ape" by Frans de Waal like it a lot so far... Sin.WoE.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”