What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Julius Aurora » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:00 pm

You should be finished by lunch Bart.

In between studying for my imminent exams, I am not reading anything. Because my textbooks have turned me off reading for at least a week. Never thought I would say that.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:10 am

The Quantum & The Lotus, by Mattheiu Ricard & Trinh Xuan Thuan. Interesting.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:40 am

Francis Pryor's new book on the Middle Ages. Not great so far, but I'll finish it.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 am

Ae they weren't great The MIDDLE Ages...not so much rapin an pillagin as the EARLY ages way smellier than the LATER ages.

I was encouraged to hear Herodotus saying 'there were too many chiefs and not enough indians in the Greek Army...some things never change.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:22 am

Yup. They were lower than the Upper Ages, but higher than the Lower Ages. Also nearer than the Far Ages, but ..... Oh FSM! What am I doing? Quick, someone, throw a bucket of water over me.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 am

Karen Armstrong's Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life. She's a religious historian, and that's what most of her books are about, but this one is slightly different, focusing more on compassion and how it's good for you/everyone etc, and how it's the basis of every religion (going so far as to say if compassion is not the foundation of it, then it isn't a religion). It's related to her TED wish, which resulted in the Charter for Compassion.

Anyway, she's giving a lecture at the big national convention of UUs in two weeks on the subject, so she's asked everyone to read the book beforehand. I need to get around to reading her histories of Islam, Christianity, and her biographies of people like Siddhartha Gautama and Muhammad.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:29 pm

The Talented Mr Ripley. So far it's quite slow going but I'm only a few chapters in.

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Karen Armstrong's Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life. She's a religious historian, and that's what most of her books are about, but this one is slightly different, focusing more on compassion and how it's good for you/everyone etc, and how it's the basis of every religion (going so far as to say if compassion is not the foundation of it, then it isn't a religion).[/url]

Hippy :moon:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Hippy :moon:

Oh good, you finally noticed. :wink:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:28 am

Finally finished The Histories...

spoiler alert...

The Greeks won! Hurrah! Break out the Retsina!

fat lot of good it's done them. :cry:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Bug
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Bug » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 am

I'm reading Bill Moyers Journal - The Conversation Continues

Haven't got very far, but it seems very interesting. I'm currently reading the interview with Michael Pollan.

Error: Clever pun and random quote not found

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 am

I'm reading George Orwells memoirs from the spanish civil war. It is very interesting.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 am

gronank wrote:I'm reading George Orwells memoirs from the spanish civil war. It is very interesting.

I'm thinking of reading 'Ghosts of Spain' by Giles Tremlett which concerns the same subject.

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Argh , oi red kwite a fayew bookes sins me lass vizit in dis heer form werkin on me spillin an sech . Oi pertikalary wuz apauld wid wot Samantha Power dug ep in A Problem From Hell , dare be sum folkes oi yoost to hilee respick , but nay eny moors .
Thee rest ove thee bookes weer a wast ove tyme , sept for The Old Man And THe Sea .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Just finished Freedom by Johnathan Franzen.

I definitely get the feeling that it's not meant to just be taken at face value. The story's a bit too pedestrian, and it kept dropping hints, about being about something bigger. There's obviously the commentary on the American upper-middle class in the last 40 years, but I think there's also something with economics in there as well.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:22 am

Bleak House by Charles Dickens...in digital format no less.

What the Dickens would Dickens make of all this new technology?

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”