What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:I'VE GOT XENOCIDE WOOHOO

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/nighttime_stories.jpg

Oh dear. That woman is retarded.
This is completely unrelated, but I just heard 'Oh dear' in a Canadian accent, and it was hilarious.

So how's Xenocide anyway? I thought the sequels were never as good as Ender's Game.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:So how's Xenocide anyway? I thought the sequels were never as good as Ender's Game.

Lies. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide are both spectacular. Orson Scott Card is a god among the already mighty pantheon of Sci-Fi and Fantasy writers.

Neither sequel will ever surpass Ender's Game, but both so far are filled to the brim with philosophy, theology, speculative physics and raw emotion. It's like a religious experience for bookworms.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Ah-huh. I haven't read those two, I might have to pick them up.

I wouldn't advise reading the one I can't remember the name of. Damn. (Example of my thought train there) But it was about Bean's life. It was mind-numbingly dull, but it did show that Bean was really a genius. Smarter than Ender, even.

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Ah-huh. I haven't read those two, I might have to pick them up.

I wouldn't advise reading the one I can't remember the name of. Damn. (Example of my thought train there) But it was about Bean's life. It was mind-numbingly dull, but it did show that Bean was really a genius. Smarter than Ender, even.

Ender's Shadow. Good book, for the writing and depth of understanding it provides, but, come to think of it, yeah, terribly dull. I didn't notice, because I was enjoying it too much. Does that make sense?
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Yes, because it was still part of the same world, they were characters you liked, and yeah, the skill with writing and depth.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Re-reading the God Delusion. I don't know what happened to my original copy but Amazon were selling it for a fiver so I got another copy with Dawkin's new book. I forgot just how obvious some of the points Dawkins makes are that people often don't think of.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:10 am

Ubi Dubium wrote: Back in my sunday school days, I was sent to classes for "bible study" and all we did was read a verse or two and were then asked to analyze "what it meant to our lives" or some such nonsense. When I heard "bible study" I expected that we would actually study the book, how it got to us, opinions about translations, historical manuscripts. whether there had been later additions, etc. Of course, no such interesting information ever found its way into the rubbish taught to kids...... (And I've learned the word "parablepsis", which is a really fun-sounding word to know.)

I had much the same shock when I started doing R E lessons at socondary school in England 30 years ago (!)
I had already delved into the "good" book and I was kinda wondering what the background was... I wondered who the authors were and why they were so hung up on god etc. and was looking forward to some genuine "bible bashing" and textual analysis, a bit like an English Lit class, the way you do with Shakespeare... but all we got was wishy washy moralistic nonesense and the actual text of the Bible was hardly considered at all.
I guess the "powers that be" thought that the text should be untouchable and just "given".... but the experience gave me (or reinforced in me) a deep seated mistrust of authority and "teachers" which I've never quite freed myself from... I'm sure it fatally hindered my intellectual development!
PS... for those who can't be bothered to google it:
parablepsis = From Ancient Greek παρά (para-), “‘beside’”) and βλέπω (blepō), “‘to look at’”)
1. A circumstance in which a scribe miscopies text due to inadvertently looking to the side while copying, or accidentally skips over some of it.
(if you want more wierd Textual Criticism type words: http://www.tetragrammaton.org/tcglossary.htm)
parablepsis is a nice word! Dawkins talks about it too, in the Selfish Gene, as regards the "virginity" of mary and the whole almah - bethulah - parthenos - virgin - maiden debate. The fundies would never accept that an article of their faith is based on a mistranslation or a parablepsis... altho' I dont think Protestant fundies really consider the virginity (or role) of Mary to be very important... right?
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:14 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:I'm starting Mein Kampf. I can't say it's something I'm looking forward to, but I really should read the evil man's own words. Well, translations of them anyway.

Good luck! I never got beyond the 4th page... it's pone of the most boring books I ever tried to read... you don't get any kind of insight into his psychology.... he just seems like a frustrated petit bureaucrat ranting about the organisation of the party... of course he wrote it in prison long before the Nazi party got its act together....
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:27 am

tris wrote:parablepsis is a nice word! Dawkins talks about it too, in the Selfish Gene, as regards the "virginity" of mary and the whole almah - bethulah - parthenos - virgin - maiden debate. The fundies would never accept that an article of their faith is based on a mistranslation or a parablepsis... altho' I dont think Protestant fundies really consider the virginity (or role) of Mary to be very important... right?

My understanding of the origin of "virgin" reading is that the NT authors were working from the Septuagint, a Greek translation of the Hebrew OT available at the time, and the Septuagint had the mistranslation of "virgin". Coupled with the tendancy for all the mystery religions of that era to ascribe a miraculous birth to their savior-figure, it all fits together rather predictably.

The Fundies I know don't really focus on the whole virginity thing, but they really focus on the infallibility of the text. For them, every word has got to be 100% literally true. If it weren't, then they would have to decide which bits were true, and any part of it could turn out to be false, and their faith might collapse. It's amazing to what lenghths they will go to in order to rationalize all the contradictions and inconsistencies in their precious book. I'm pretty sure that the bulk of them have no idea about all the huge uncertainties about what the text of their book actually originally was.

I've been reading the part of Ehrman's book that discusses several of the different factions among the early xians, and the differences in what each one believed. Then he looks at scribal changes to the texts that would make them more consistent with the beliefs of the faction that finally won, and insertions that appear to have been put in there specifically to counter beliefs from some other faction. There were lots of changes apparently made to ensure that the text could not be read as adoptionist, gnostic, or any of the others, and of course those revised versions, written by the winning faction, are what made it into the final "new testament". I'm enjoying Ehrman's book quite a lot.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:37 am

A friend loaned me I hear you paint houses today. It's a non-fiction account of one of the mafias top assassins.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 am

Ubi Dubium wrote: I've been reading the part of Ehrman's book that discusses several of the different factions among the early xians, and the differences in what each one believed. Then he looks at scribal changes to the texts that would make them more consistent with the beliefs of the faction that finally won, and insertions that appear to have been put in there specifically to counter beliefs from some other faction. There were lots of changes apparently made to ensure that the text could not be read as adoptionist, gnostic, or any of the others, and of course those revised versions, written by the winning faction, are what made it into the final "new testament". I'm enjoying Ehrman's book quite a lot.
I guess that's why Jesus never wrote anything down... he was smart enough (or illiterate enough!) to realise that it would all be fucked up beyond recognition (oopps, sorry DB, I mean f**ked up!) soon after he died (or ascended or whatever!), with everyone penning their own wacky version of his teachings. For that reason I guess modern christianity should by all rights be called "FUBARism!"

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:27 am

tris wrote:(oopps, sorry DB, I mean f**ked up!)

Thanks Tris, now if you can just get the hang of doing that rather than typing both it would be perfect :moon:

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Still on my Xanth kick, but the puns are getting a bit old.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:40 am

daftbeaker wrote:
Thanks Tris, now if you can just get the hang of doing that rather than typing both it would be perfect :moon:

I'm glad you appreciate my efforts... I'm still in the f*cking transitional phase so it won't be easy... at least I know where the f*cking asterisk is on my f*cking keyboard... actually this is fun substituting the vowels with asterisks!
N*w I'm g*nna pl*y t*nnis with my *ld p*rtner and h*pef*lly be*t th* sh*t *ut of him! (H*w's th*t? I'm g*tting th*re ain't I!)

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:52 pm

tris wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:

I'm glad you appreciate my efforts... I'm still in the f*cking transitional phase so it won't be easy... at least I know where the f*cking asterisk is on my f*cking keyboard... actually this is fun substituting the vowels with asterisks!
N*w I'm g*nna pl*y t*nnis with my *ld p*rtner and h*pef*lly be*t th* sh*t *ut of him! (H*w's th*t? I'm g*tting th*re ain't I!)

Very nice, that took a fair bit of mental processing to work out what you were saying. Ta :smile:

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”