What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Dan (dat haole dude)
Stripmeister

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Dan (dat haole dude) » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:37 am

The Wrong Case-James Crumley
'Oli no au i na pono FSM e
E hau'oli na 'opio o FSM nei
'Oli e! 'Oli e!
Mau ke aloha, no FSM

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:24 am

I read Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card over the day or so. It was very good. I'm not usually a huge fan of sci-fi, but this changed my entire perspective.

Highly recommended. ***** (Five stars)

I'm either going to read Ender's Shadow now, or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Or maybe I'll read Mostly Harmless, by Adams.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:20 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I'm either going to read Ender's Shadow now, or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Or maybe I'll read Mostly Harmless, by Adams.

I reccomend Ender's Shadow as the next Ender novel, it comes the closest in quality to Ender's Game itself IMO. After that the series splits. Chronologically, (and in my opinion quality-wise) next comes the Shadow series, which details the life of Bean, Peter, and some of the other Battle School kids, and picks up immediately after EG. The remaining novels which follow Ender's life are of a very different style and theme. I didn't enjoy them quite as much, but others have told me they really liked them, at any rate expect big changes in that they are about adults, and have much more hardcore sci-fi content.

If you can find a copy, there exists a collection of short stories entitled "First Meetings in the Enderverse" which I think is outstanding.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:43 am

And, so, I have read The Mists of Avalon, and, I think I've have never read a more emotionally moving, or enlightening, story. It was a very good book.

Before that, i read The Book Thief, which was also amazingly good.

Next up, Brisingr.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:36 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:And, so, I have read The Mists of Avalon, and, I think I've have never read a more emotionally moving, or enlightening, story. It was a very good book.

Yeah, that book was something most are not. I think the best word for it is 'poignant'.

Currently re-reading all 7 'Arry Pottahs. In order, back to back to back etc.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:10 am

Rainswept wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I'm either going to read Ender's Shadow now, or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Or maybe I'll read Mostly Harmless, by Adams.

I reccomend Ender's Shadow as the next Ender novel, it comes the closest in quality to Ender's Game itself IMO. After that the series splits. Chronologically, (and in my opinion quality-wise) next comes the Shadow series, which details the life of Bean, Peter, and some of the other Battle School kids, and picks up immediately after EG. The remaining novels which follow Ender's life are of a very different style and theme. I didn't enjoy them quite as much, but others have told me they really liked them, at any rate expect big changes in that they are about adults, and have much more hardcore sci-fi content.

If you can find a copy, there exists a collection of short stories entitled "First Meetings in the Enderverse" which I think is outstanding.

I think I might have seen that, I'm not sure. I could only find Ender's Game and the first two books in the Shadow series.
I like Bean. I'm reading his book now.

And remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:And, so, I have read The Mists of Avalon, and, I think I've have never read a more emotionally moving, or enlightening, story. It was a very good book.

Oh, excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's one of my favorites. I liked the sequels, but they are not up to the same level.

I'm just finishing up Dawkins' Climbing Mount Improbable. It's a good book, with Dawkins' usual eloquence and humour. (British spelling in his honor. Drat it, "honour".) If you have already read The Selfish Gene and The Blind Watchmaker, then it's a little repetitive, with a lot of material he has already covered. But he does a good job of tackling the creationists' misunderstanding of the origins of complexity. And there's lots of pictures drawn by his wife, the Time Lady, so that's always a plus.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:57 am

Wawizzle wrote:
black bart wrote:
Wawizzle wrote:I just finished "The Theory of Almost Everything" this morning. I will now being "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins.

"The Theory of Almost Everything" will be the ruin of me because after reading it I want to know more about the stuff covered in it. I am attempting to read 'Quantum - A guide for the Perplexed' by Jim Al-Khalili...not a fitting book for a Pirate I hear you say but I disagree, I often feel I've taken two paths at the same time when I come out of The Admiral Benbow.

I'm also extremely interested in quantum physics and mechanics. Would you recommend "Quantum - A Guide for the Perplexed"? Is it not for the average reader?

Yes I recommend it. I am not finding it easy to take in but as Neils Bohr said:

"Anyone who is not shocked by Quantum Theory has not understood it"

Jim Al-Khalili also did a series called 'Atom' on the BBC which was superb.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Cricket
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Cricket » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 pm

An old Ambrose Bierce collection of ghost stories - "The Hanging and Other Tales"
Empusa's crew, so naked-new they may not face the fire,
But weep that they bin too small to sin to the height of their desire,
(Kipling)

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:58 pm

Just picked up 1634: The Baltic War, by Eric Flint and David Weber. Since I'm a rabid fan of the series, I, of course, have high hopes.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Rainswept

Postby Rainswept » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:52 am

After reccomending it to DTH, I went to the library and found a copy of First Meetings in the Enderverse. It's even better than I remember, and includes the actual short story of Ender's Game, which was later made into the novel.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:38 pm

Rainswept wrote:After reccomending it to DTH, I went to the library and found a copy of First Meetings in the Enderverse. It's even better than I remember, and includes the actual short story of Ender's Game, which was later made into the novel.

I read that short story on the internet yesterday!

It's quite good!

Oh, and I found this picture on the interwebs also... apparently Ender's Game is being made into both a film and a comic book. This is the battlesuit.

http://cache.io9.com/assets/images/io9/ ... suit-A.jpg

Rainswept

Postby Rainswept » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Actually, I think some of the comics are already out. I wouldn't hold my breath on the movie, however. He'd already been trying for years when I asked him about it in 1999.

lordpunkmonk
Mystic of Meatball

Postby lordpunkmonk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:40 am

I just finished reading His Dark Materials
golden compass, subtle knife, ect.

and I plan on reading either Enders Game or Armor next
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:22 pm

I've got ahold of a copy of Jurassic Park, and a few Stephen King novels.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”