What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
black bart wrote:Bleak House by Charles Dickens...in digital format no less.

What the Dickens would Dickens make of all this new technology?
The Boy was reading Moby Dick on the ferry to Ireland. I liked the irony of that, plus it is really good to get a science nerd teenager reading the classics under any circumstances. He was reading it on a Kindle, however, because a lot of that old out-of-copyright stuff is free in digital format.

Exactly...although it costs £500 to buy an ipad you can download lots of free books and stuff. It's best to avoid the free translations of classics such as Homer etc because they tend to be very, very old translations.

I loved Moby Dick apart from all the technical shite about Whales and stuff which interfered with the main tale. If I'd been around in Herman Melville's day I could have given him a few pointers about writing a long winded tale, but credit where credit's due, at least he could spell.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:02 pm

I haven't actually read them as I'm still on-again off-again reading the King James Bible (still on Genesis...) but today I went to Used Book Superstore in Salem, NH, with Ashley, and I bought the Book of Mormon, the Good News Bible (official Catholic bible), and a book featuring the Tao Te Ching (which I already have) and the Analects of Confucius (which I didn't have until today) plus a selection of the writings of some other Eastern philosopher in one book.

I still want the Jehovah's Witness bible as I believe that has some notable differences from other versions, but that wasn't there. I'd like some Buddhist and Hindu texts too, but the only Hindu text was the Kama Sutra. :lech: Ashley's 80-year-old uncle wouldn't have looked kindly upon my purchase of that book though. :idiot:
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:07 pm

The Bhagavad Gita is widely available, and it's a pretty easy read.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:43 am

PKMKII wrote:The Bhagavad Gita is widely available, and it's a pretty easy read.

There's not much sex in 'Bleak House'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Waterloo, about to get very gory. I get to follow all the diffrent commanders and their units as they walk around belgum on a map.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 am

gronank wrote:Waterloo, about to get very gory. I get to follow all the diffrent commanders and their units as they walk around belgum on a map.

The story of the battle of Waterloo is absolutely brilliant, especially the bit with the Kings German Legion at La Haye Sainte. Apparently La Haye Sainte has hardly changed at all since the battle (apart from the satellite dishes and the double glazing).

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 am

Just finished Johannes Cabal, Necromancer. I quite liked the writing, and the main character is awesome. One of those books where you're like "How did he manage to make a borderline psychopathic satanist necromantic scientist (he reminds me of daftbeaker in some respects) a sympathetic character?"

Turns out, a good sense of humor and intense sarcasm is a good place to start.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Neil Gaiman: Smoke and Mirrors

Recomend.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 am

Hi readin Moby Dick, by John Bonham.

Dis bloke hits drums an sech for ages an ages, an thee ress of thee band goes off an getss drunk
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Es rubbidge. Dun bovver.
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 am

Finished both A Dance with Dragons and Ghost Story today.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Just finished Johannes Cabal, Necromancer. I quite liked the writing, and the main character is awesome. One of those books where you're like "How did he manage to make a borderline psychopathic satanist necromantic scientist (he reminds me of daftbeaker in some respects) a sympathetic character?"

Turns out, a good sense of humor and intense sarcasm is a good place to start.

But I have a sense of humour and lots of sarcasm :confused: :moon:

Read Carpe Jugulum and just started Small Gods. They should both be required reading for any theology course.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 am

I am still reading Bleak House...it's full of amazing characters as you'd expect from Dickens.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi all

If someone hasn't recommended it already, then I suggest this:

http://www.goodreads.com/

It's a site where you can show and rate books you've read, and recommend books to others! It's pretty neat.

In other news I've finished reading The Complete Lyonesse by Jack Vance. I seriously recommend you anything written by Jack Vance if you're a fan of fiction/fantasy/science fiction, he's a master.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:00 pm

NPR's list of the top 100 sci-fi/fantasy works, as voted on by readers/listeners.

Let the nerd complaining begin!
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 am

PKMKII wrote:NPR's list of the top 100 sci-fi/fantasy works, as voted on by readers/listeners.

Let the nerd complaining begin!

Only two Discworld books and people chose Going Postal over Jingo or Night Watch? :idiot:

Nah, it looks like a pretty good list.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”