What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby gronank » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Julius Aurora wrote:I read it for that very reason. Didn't really help, more the pity.

It depends on the game. For the principle to apply it really needs an extensive focus on movement and positioning.
It applies very well to grognard games such as The operational art of war and I put some of it to use in my Starcraft play.

May I inquire where you tried to apply the books advice?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm playing Shogun 2. It might help.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:46 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:I think Napoleon should have read it. Oh, and Hitler. [/size]

They should have listened to Vizzini: "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! "
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Just finished Dune Messiah, the sequel to Dune by Frank Herbert. Not as good as the first of course, but still magnificently written.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:26 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:I think Napoleon should have read it. Oh, and Hitler. [/size]

They should have listened to Vizzini: "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! "

The Carthaginians have just lost Sicily in the First Punic war...another lesson, never bring your huge Mercenary Army home to your city and leave them to seeth whilst you haven't paid them :facewall: .
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 pm

black bart wrote:The Carthaginians have just lost Sicily in the First Punic war

Dude, that was nearly 2300 year ago. Have you turned on the BBC lately?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:29 pm

PKMKII wrote:

He'll be even more surprised when the Carthaginians lose Carthage. Curse that Scipio pig.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:08 am

Julius Aurora wrote:
PKMKII wrote:

He'll be even more surprised when the Carthaginians lose Carthage. Curse that Scipio pig.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry: I was planning to go there on holiday again!*

*We went to Tunisia for our hols last year...shortly before the all North African shit hit the fan.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 am

Julius Aurora wrote:
PKMKII wrote:

Hey! No Spoilers!
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:04 am

Hannibal is on the march for Rome...with his Celtic shock troops he can't go wrong..just a few mountains in the way.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:37 pm

What's the old platitude about him, Hannibal could win a battle but couldn't use it? Something like that.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Finally finished Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. All about the cognitive psychology and neuroscience of music. (I think Roy would enjoy it very much). A few observations:

- The ability of the brain to cope and adjust to traumatic injury and loss is fascinating. The way other parts can take over for damaged sections, the flexibility, just makes you realize how far away our technology is from our biology.
- Music's staying power in our brain is epic. There were so many examples of people who had high levels of dysfunction, advanced Alzheimer's, inability to hold short-term memory, who could hear a tune and immediately be able to play along, note for note.
- He talked about an interesting disorder called William's Syndrome. It's like the reverse of autism. People are hypersocial, hold large and complex vocabularies, can craft narratives, and have a deep love and often talent for music. But they're incapable of setting a table for dinner or doing basic math.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 pm

"The Grand Idea" by Joel Achenbach. It's about George Washington's attempts to connect the Potomac to the Ohio. It's also the best biography of Washington I've read to date. Washington is a hard man to get to know, but Achenbach is doing an excellent job. Achenbach is one of my favorite writers, since he started as the Washington Post's science writer.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:55 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:"The Grand Idea" by Joel Achenbach. It's about George Washington's attempts to connect the Potomac to the Ohio. It's also the best biography of Washington I've read to date. Washington is a hard man to get to know, but Achenbach is doing an excellent job. Achenbach is one of my favorite writers, since he started as the Washington Post's science writer.

Did you see PK's post about the Boston Tea Party? I am also reading some stuff about the American Civil war at the moment. Apparently the majority of British politicians supported the South (not in any tangible way thank goodness) but Queen Victoria supported the North against slavery.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 am

Well if you look at the southern way of life, prior to the end of the end of the civil war, it was very similar to the English aristocracy. You had a small handful of wealthy, land-owning white males with a disproportionate amount of political influence. Most of the people working their land were poor, powerless, and earned slave wages (either figuratively or literally). Plus, these land owners had a general culture of foppishness and pretensions of high society.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”