What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I always get Wendigo and Winnebago mixed up...

That could be a costly mistake!

You happen to be on holiday/vacation in Canuckistan and you turn up at a camp asking "is it alright if I park my Wendigo in your lot?' :shocked:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 am

And then tell scary campfire stories to the canuck-lettes about the mysterious and fearsome Winnebago that stalks the forest at night. XD
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:25 am

2001: A space odyssey. Which came first? The book or the film?
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:51 pm

i weedin dis laybill
et sez
keep ampoules away from of the reach of children

????????????????????
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
woy kine ove langige iz dat ?!

i coman sumwun ta tell wot et meenz!
fank ye ye welkum
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:05 am

I've recenty finished Ayaan Hirsi Ali's book Infidel. It makes me very angry and sad, and at the same time very hopeful. She tells, in great detail, the story of her horrible upbringing in Somalia, with a growing oppressive fundamentalist islam adding to the oppressive tribalism they already had. Yet she was able to escape, dump all of the religious and tribal baggage, serve in the Dutch Parliament, and become a noted writer and a voice for oppresed women.

I'm working on two books now. America's Four Gods which should be very interesting, and which I am reading at home. At work I have Unseen Academicals for lunchtime reading. Pratchett's take on soccer hooligans and Romeo & Juliet. Much fun!
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:07 am

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:28 pm

I just reread "Finding the Fountain of Youth", an essay I wrote back in February of 2007 for my Freshman English II course at UMass Boston. I think it was a good decision, because I've definitely been feeling stressed out lately, and it sort of brought me down to Earth a little bit. I'm very proud of it.

Some people read it and get angry and/or incredulous that I would dare write an essay that says they'll be happier if they live below their means, because they believe they can't do that. Some people can, some people can't, but I like to think the essay is deeper than just financial woes. I don't know if I've posted it here before or not, but I hope some of you get something out of it.

:shrug:
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:18 am

jerk dently holy defective agentsee. Es reely good - thare's a horse inner baffroom, an lots of puddy tats wot gets lorst.
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 am

Shipwrecked, by Charles Logan, sadly less pirate more deep space ship explosion and survival on an alien world. It's a good yarn to while the time away while I'm waiting for the Lake of the Long Sun to arrive through the POST. Ahem.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:12 am

Just started reading 'Post Office' by Charles Bukowski...

First sentence:

It wasn't so much the work itself that was getting to me as the people I had to work alongside...

Went on to talk about Her Majesty's Royal Mail????

Then I realised that is the first sentence of the introduction by a British guy who also suffered the trials of working for the Post Office.

Bukowski talks about delivering the mail to a catholic church where he helps himself to the communion wine, discovers a shower block in the basement and says:

I found out later that the mail for the church was delivered to the parish house around the corner. But now, of course, I'll know where to shit and shower when I'm down and out.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Descrates: Meditations. I've just finished the 4th, with two more to go. So about ten pages left of font size 10. XD

Then I begin The Iliad.

I remember having the Narnia series read to me when I was little, and then re-reading some of them when I was a bit older. Silly christian over-tones aside, they're not terrible. I rather like A Horse and His Boy (I'd actually go see the movie version of that one). Less sure about the later ones, iirc, they get rather strange.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I'll tell you something, though: The Boy has a head start in his critical thinking skills. He can't decide between Pure Chemistry and Applied Chemistry for University; he is a mathematical prodigy;

:bounce:

How old is he? I know you've mentioned it but I forgot it's my birthday next week, the chance of me remembering his age is almost zero :wink: If he's got more than two years to go before Uni I'd suggest he doesn't even bother thinking about it yet, deciding if he wants to do a science is more than enough :wink:

Although if he does want to do chemistry or physics or chemical physics or some variation, get him learning calculus now. Nothing too fancy but get him to understand simple differentiation, integration, the one that uses sigmas rather than 'd's for the differential (you can see how much calculus I understood :facepalm: ), that stuff will be an absolute FSMsend for a huge amount of Physics, Physical Chemistry and Theoretical Chemistry. He won't need to be able to show any of the derivations to give the rules, just able to apply it. Having that hard-wired into his brain before he starts will be really useful, the stuff crops up everywhere, pure and applied.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Sounds like an excellent start :bounce:

If he's doing Higher Maths he should already the level of calculus he'll need for almost all chemistry (unless he's mad and does research work with the theoretical people :paranoid: ). In that case I thoroughly recommend In Search of Schrodinger's Cat, it's an excellent introduction to quantum that covers all the theory and background behind it without any of the maths. I've bought it twice after losing my first copy :whistle:

Oh, if he's sure he wants to do chemistry and wants a good textbook get Clayden, it's primarily Organic but has several chapters on quantum theory, spectra etc. It's the only book I used in my first year (excluding my Physical textbook which was a handy doorstop, paperweight and TV stand) and the main one I used after that. In fact my copy of Clayden is currently being used to prop up my monitor :haha: Seriously, if he wants to do chemistry and you find a copy of Clayden cheap (it's pretty good on Amazon at the moment) get it, if he dips into it half-a-dozen times a year he'll learn something :wink:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 am

Did you see the 'Horizon' episode with Ben Miller 'What is one degree?' Fascinating stuff with a really whacky Absolute zero experiment.

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Clash of Chariots: The Great Tank Battles. I like reading military history.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”