What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Even if it was Douglas writing it, I'd probably still feel the same. I thought Mostly Harmless was mostly dumb.

I have acquired a copy of Life of Pi, but I have yet to start it. I've been meaning to read it for quite some time now.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote: I have acquired a copy of Life of Pi, but I have yet to start it. I've been meaning to read it for quite some time now.
Get on with it! I really enjoyed that book! And it only takes a day or two to read!
I'm kinda stuck halfway thru- Fight Club... I think I prefer the film (that's the first time I ever said that about a book!)
And I started a thing called "Caesar's Druid" by a frog called Claude Cueni... I'm not getting on that well with it either... I thought it was gonna be about Vercingetorige (the Celtic warrior guy who rebelled against Caesar)

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Rainswept wrote:...And Another Thing.

book six of the Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy

I enjoyed that one. It wasn't as good as the first three (is there anything that good?), but I thought it was about as good as the last couple.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 am

Ubi Dubius liked it more than I did. I found ...And Another Thing reminded me more of fanfiction than of the next installment in the story. Pretty good fanfiction, but fanfiction nonetheless. Colfer seemed more worried about making sure he got most of Adams's original characters and invented words and such in there, and not so much about making it an original good story. I should go back and count the number of times he used "frood" or "froody", instead of coming up with something new. And the story really focused on Wowbagger and Thor. I think Adams would have been coining new words and creating new characters, not just rehashing the existing ones.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 am

I like reading short Ghost Stories...just read some good ones (over Halloween) from The Giant Book of Ghost stories, including one entitled 'The Secret of Macarger's Gulch' by Ambrose Bierce.

I am going to get hold of 'Ancient Sorceries And Other Weird Stories' by Algernon Blackwood.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:58 am

Catch 22! I found it rather eratic at first, but it's brilliantly written and very funny.

kaioshin00
Agnolini Admiral

Postby kaioshin00 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm currently reading the W3C working draft for CSS3 (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/)

Its SUPER exciting. :sleep:

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Princess Bride. It's very, post-modern as compared to the movie; all the layers of "real world" vs "original novel" vs "abridged novel." Goldman wasn't just writing a story; he was making commentary on novels themselves. Plus, setting up the narrative as not his own work is a subtle post-modern acknowledgment that even original works are always derivative.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 am

I love the book and the novel. Hope u got one of the later ones that include the first chapter of the sequel.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:15 am

Algernon Blackwood's 'Ancient Sorceries and other Weird Stories' is brilliant. It is well known that 'Ancient Sorceries' was the inspiration for the film 'Cat people'. I am wondering whether 'The Willows' inspired 'The Blair Witch project'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:33 am

Just finished the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. The first book made me a bit nervous that it was going to turn into Narnia, start hiding Christian themes in it b/c it seemed like the only ethical people in the book were the ones that believed in the "One God" but thankfully that never came to pass and instead I got a nice entertaining story about assassins with a subplot of how they really want to get laid. Of course since it's a traditional fantasy, a couple books in the main character is in his 20's, has dozens of kills to his name, was partially raised in a brothel... and is still a virgin.
:lol:
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Shadowside - The Long Sun, by Gene Wolfe. Good thus far, but it's only been the first few chapters. Gene Wolfe is a good writer, so I look forward to the rest of the book/series.

I've just finished Catch-22 and certainly agree with it's status as a brilliant novel.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:32 pm

I"m starting "The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:59 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:I"m starting "The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine.

Should be a good read. I read some stuff about his English roots recently.

Algernon Blackwood's 'Ancient Sorceries and other Weird Stories' includes a story called 'The Wendigo'. Blackwood's description of the Canadian forests and lakes is quite brilliant, bringing home the vastness of the landscape, and it reminded me of ET and his canoe.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 am

I always get Wendigo and Winnebago mixed up...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”