What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:24 pm

I found a reasonable sized novel: The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:51 pm

That's the last book we read in English! What do you think of it?

It was certainly a relief to read that after Jane Frickin' Eyre. And now Jekyll and Hyde. I could get used to this whole novella thing.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:That's the last book we read in English! What do you think of it?
It was certainly a relief to read that after Jane Frickin' Eyre. And now Jekyll and Hyde. I could get used to this whole novella thing.

I must say I preferred Jane Frickin' Eyre to Dorian Grey.... altho' I don't remember much of either of 'em now!
I do remember that there's an incredibly long, complicated and tedious descriptive section in the middle of Dorian Grey all about the cultured pursuits and refined pleasures that Dorian Grey indulged in. I kept falling alseep in that bit, but I don't remember being bored at all by Jane Frickin' Eyre..... I actually prefer long novels that you can get your teeth and mind into. In fact Dorian Grey is more like a short story than a novel.... altho' I guesss it's the closest Wilde came to writing a proper novel. The best thing about it is the funny decadent epithets that Dorian's mentor (?Lord Henry) comes out with.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:I finally finished that book on Sumerian culture that I had been working on. It really was too rambling. Reading it was kind of like listening to an absent-minded professor who had dropped his notes and gotten them all out of order.
You did well to finish it... A lot of "erudite" tomes are like that... I'm trying to deal with one about Etruscan culture. It has some nice gems of information, but it's terribly repetitive when the author waxes poetical.... I don't know if I'll make it to the end... i'm only at page 60 or so and thinking of giving up.
Ubi Dubium wrote: Then I think I'll read Tacitus for a while.
Which are you reading, the Annals or the Histories? Which is the "best" bit..... Nero in the Annals I suppose? (what a shame he never got round to writing about Trajan! We know next to nothing about the Dacian wars)

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Well yes, there is chapter 11... But I just never got into Jane Eyre, and it was 500 pages, so that was sort of a damper.

For the most part, excluding chapter 11, I like Wilde's writing style, because it's dialog heavy, or at least if not dialog heavy, doesn't spend too much time on things that aren't dialog. It reminded me of a play, where it's mostly lines, and a little bit of stage direction, but a lot of the action is implied from speech, which I'm always a fan of. As opposed to Jane Eyre, which is much more in the vein of longer passages that don't necessarily move the action along. Not that they aren't important, but it just didn't grab me. Also, it's just long in general. Probably the longest book I've had to read in high school.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote: ..... I like Wilde's writing style, because it's dialog heavy, or at least if not dialog heavy, doesn't spend too much time on things that aren't dialog. It reminded me of a play, where it's mostly lines, and a little bit of stage direction, but a lot of the action is implied from speech, which I'm always a fan of. As opposed to Jane Eyre, which is much more in the vein of longer passages that don't necessarily move the action along. Not that they aren't important, but it just didn't grab me. Also, it's just long in general. Probably the longest book I've had to read in high school.
Those "longer passages that don't necessarily move the action along" create ATMOSPHERE and moments for reflection! And anyway, I prefer long things!! :lech: :lech: :lech:
Yes, it's true that Wilde is full of dialog... he was a playwright above all.

PS Ubi Dubius I just found the passage from Book 15 of the Annals regarding the 64AD fire of Rome that people thought Nero had started:

... Nero fastened the guilt (for the fire) and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired.......
Nero offered his gardens for the spectacle, and put on a show in the circus, while he mingled with the people in the dress of a charioteer or stood aloft on a car. Hence, even for criminals who deserved extreme and exemplary punishment, there arose a feeling of compassion; for it was not, as it seemed, for the public good, but to glut one man's cruelty, that they were being destroyed.

Tacitus clearly hated the Christians as much as his contemporaries, but I never understood that last passage.... why would the people feel more sympathy for the hated Christians just because Nero turned their deaths into a spectacle? It doesn't make sense in a people who were used to witnessing the "munera". Why would they care if it was for the public good? That sounds like an anachronistic republican sentiment!

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:27 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:
Emily "Em Dash" Dickinson wrote:Go manacle your icicle
Against your Tropic Bride.

Ha! I guess she should have been called Dick-in-soon, the randy wee nymphette!

That has to be one of her most enigmatic poems:

Twas here my summer paused
What ripeness after then
To other scene or other soul
My sentence had begun.

To winter to remove
With winter to abide
Go manacle your icicle
Against your Tropic Bride

It seems the question mark is missing after "What ripeness after then"?
Why not To other scene AND other soul ??
The protagonist seems to be Persephone, and Hades is equated with Winter... but is she speaking to him when she says "Go manacle your icicle - Against your Tropic Bride" and is the Tropic (of Cancer) Bride herself?
In that case why not "COME manacle your icicle"??

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:That's the last book we read in English! What do you think of it?

I'm enjoying it...it's Oscar Wilde's only novel.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm currently re-reading Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth. I'm thinking of re-reading either The Dark Tower septology or The Lord of the Rings trilogy next. I suppose i'll figure out which one when I get there. Talking of Tacitus' Annals, in my first (and only) year of uni (college), me and a friend typed up an essay on his annals for a friend of ours. We were really drunk and started misspelling the word Annals :evilgrin:. Oh to be 18 again lol.

Cricket
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Cricket » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 pm

"Worldviews: Crosscultural Explorations of Human Beliefs", Ninian Smart.

Haven't gotten far enough in to say what I think of it. A friend who teaches comparative religions says it's good.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:25 am

The Picture of Dorian Gray is wonderful. It reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe's writing...anyone ever made that comparison before?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:29 pm

People freaking out about paintings? Yes. :haha:

Actually, not really. But I wouldn't be surprised. Not too familiar with Poe, anyway. :guilty:

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:41 pm

The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favourite novels. I'm currently reading some textbook or another on human brain function. Did you know there is an entire part of your brain dedicated to recognising and interpreting human facial expressions and posture.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 pm

I am currently making a list of all the books that I have (and can find).
This does not include several boxes of books I no longer wish to keep, which have been sitting in the "yard sale" pile for about 2 years now.

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:12 pm

I actually just started "A Game of Thrones", which I picked up near Christmas because I remembered that Cap recommended it. It seems good so far.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”