What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Rainswept » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:38 am

I noticed I had a copy of Freak the Mighty on my shelf, and I still don't remember buying it. Anyway it was very enjoyable.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:27 am

Pythonist wrote:I have recently read "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. It is an amazing, funny, satiric, and very sad book. Unbeatable.
I have also just read "JPod" by Douglas Coupland. Very funny.

My favourite author has to be Christopher Brookmyre a Scottish satiricist but if you are not Scottish you may miss some of the jokes, political stuff and slang.

After a few attempts i once got all the way through "The Fellowship" and "The Two Towers" but couldn't get into the third one - it starts off with something like 50 pages describing Minas Tirith. :sleep:

You fool...you missed the bit where Tolkien describes the Minas Tirith Red Light district:

...and lo Merry had wandered into the sector of Minas Tirith known as Finrod's Cross where Elf and Troll Maiden wandered the dimly lit streets at night, plying their wares. Luckily for Merry it was two for one night at 'Spearmint Troll Maidens' and the tiny Halfling lad's hairy toes twinkled with delight as a Buxom Troll maiden led him off to an Elf Grotto for a Private dance...
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:27 am

Merle's Door-Ted Kerasote
About a man and the stray dog that he found out in the Utah desert.
Very good so far.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 pm

black bart wrote:You fool...you missed the bit where Tolkien describes the Minas Tirith Red Light district:

...and lo Merry had wandered into the sector of Minas Tirith known as Finrod's Cross where Elf and Troll Maiden wandered the dimly lit streets at night, plying their wares. Luckily for Merry it was two for one night at 'Spearmint Troll Maidens' and the tiny Halfling lad's hairy toes twinkled with delight as a Buxom Troll maiden led him off to an Elf Grotto for a Private dance...

For Gollum's sake, Bart! Don't quote the bit about the orcs -- anyone could be reading! :paranoid:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:18 pm

I read the authors note for Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver... have yet to read more, but I will, as it's the last part of my summer reading.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Grey » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:20 pm

The Art of Memetics by Edward Wilson and Wes Unruh. Dense reading - I have to keep notes and reread things - but very, very interesting.
The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene.
And The Darkness that Comes Before by Scott Bakker

The beauties of having an eReader. :D
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.

pieces o'nine

Postby pieces o'nine » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Kobo Abe: The Box Man

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:17 pm

The Panda's Thumb by Stephen J. Gould.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Wawizzle » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Just finished the first chapter of "The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve."

Extremely though provoking and scary. The Federal Reserve bill was written in a top-secret retreat owned by J.P. Morgan by 7 of the world's richest and most powerful bankers (and 1 senator Aldrich).
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:35 am

pieces o'nine wrote:
black bart wrote:You fool...you missed the bit where Tolkien describes the Minas Tirith Red Light district:

For Gollum's sake, Bart! Don't quote the bit about the orcs -- anyone could be reading! :paranoid:

They don't call it 'Lord of the RINGS' for nothing...now you've made me think of that drinking song again:
See the little Goblin, see see his little feet, And his little nosy-wose -- isn't the goblin sweet?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:41 am

black bart wrote:See the little Goblin, see see his little feet, And his little nosy-wose -- isn't the goblin sweet?

YES! It reminds me of the time Blackadder was found wandering Hampton Court singing 'Merlin the Happy Pig'.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:13 am

daftbeaker wrote:
black bart wrote:See the little Goblin, see see his little feet, And his little nosy-wose -- isn't the goblin sweet?

YES! It reminds me of the time Blackadder was found wandering Hampton Court singing 'Merlin the Happy Pig'.

I have often wandered around Hampton Court (it's just down the road) and I have NEVER seen Merlin the Happy pig! :furious:

He's probably been made into a Tudor Pork Pie. :cry:

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:38 am

Well, at least he wasn't explaining to the world at large that, compared to an unbelievable variety of other animals, the hedgehog was quite fortunate.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:11 am

ubidubikid #1 wrote:Well, at least he wasn't explaining to the world at large that, compared to an unbelievable variety of other animals, the hedgehog was quite fortunate.

Hedgehog??????...You've been spending too much time with Nef Yoo BB again haven't you?...stop making them into crisps at once!!!

pieces o'nine

Postby pieces o'nine » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 am

black bart wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:For Gollum's sake, Bart! Don't quote the bit about the orcs -- anyone could be reading! :paranoid:

They don't call it 'Lord of the RINGS' for nothing...now you've made me think of that drinking song again:
See the little Goblin, see see his little feet, And his little nosy-wose -- isn't the goblin sweet?

“Lie close,” Merry said,
Lifting up his hobbit head:
“We must not look at goblin orcs,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?”
“Come buy,” call the goblins
Hobbling down the glen.
“Oh,” cried Pippin, “Merry, Merry,
You should not peep at goblin orcs.”
Pippin covered up his eyes,
Covered close lest they should look;

I cannot quote the rest of it; 'tis too explicit, even written in Orkish, Rohirric, or the original Queyna.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”