What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
Posts: 9917
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Here

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:45 am

black bart wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:
Ubi Dubius wrote:I just want to be sure - you're asking us to demand more from you?
Sweet.
Yeah, read a book after you've finished your shift down the coal mine.


..and don't forget to clean out the Pit Pony's stable!

:cry: It reminds me of my youth.

"You were lucky! We had to get up half an hour before we went to bed, pay for the privilege of working down the mill and when we got home Dad would murder us and dance on our graves!"
"And you try telling that to the young people today and will they believe you?" :haha:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

User avatar
ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:31 pm
Location: one computer down from ubidubium

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 am

a common point people are making that I would like to address:
1: you're going to need grammar to impress people!
yeah, I know. I do check my actual school papers carefully for errors. (and usualy still get graded down for the one or two that I miss) however, here I don't think it's realy that nessesary. I shouldn't have to impress you people. these forums are casual. they're intened to be fun. I'm not going to have fun if I have to scrutinize every post for errors. if anyone is honestly having problems reading my posts. please give an example of the post in question and tell me why you had trouble interpreting what I was trying to say. if the errors are not actualy obscureing the content, then leave me alone. if you think honestly think that what I say is not far more important than how I say it, then I have no reason to be talking to you. it's just that simple. if you don't think my posts are interesting enough to make up for having to deal with lower case letters, then just ignore them, they're not hurting you.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

Image

User avatar
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart
Posts: 4099
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: The State of Denial

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Capellini » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 am

ubidubikid #1 wrote:a common point people are making that I would like to address:
1: you're going to need grammar to impress people!
yeah, I know. I do check my actual school papers carefully for errors. (and usualy still get graded down for the one or two that I miss) however, here I don't think it's realy that nessesary. I shouldn't have to impress you people. these forums are casual. they're intened to be fun. I'm not going to have fun if I have to scrutinize every post for errors. if anyone is honestly having problems reading my posts. please give an example of the post in question and tell me why you had trouble interpreting what I was trying to say. if the errors are not actualy obscureing the content, then leave me alone. if you think honestly think that what I say is not far more important than how I say it, then I have no reason to be talking to you. it's just that simple. if you don't think my posts are interesting enough to make up for having to deal with lower case letters, then just ignore them, they're not hurting you.


Amen to that.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

User avatar
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty
Posts: 12884
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:38 pm
Location: Wouldn't you like to know
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 am

Okay guys, settle down. She'll figure it out eventually, and most likely come to the same conclusion we have.

In the meantime though, she's right, we can understand what she's saying for the most part.

As for examples.. the one in "Your Banned" about your avatar took me a while to get, but that might've been more context problems. And not capitalizing beginnings of sentences does slow down my reading of your posts. Not a big deal, but yeah.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:


Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

User avatar
Edd
Stripmeister
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Edd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:55 pm

ubidubikid #1 wrote:a common point people are making that I would like to address:
1: you're going to need grammar to impress people!

I think the point is actually that people will judge you based on your grammar. Not pretty, but true.


ubidubikid #1 wrote:I do check my actual school papers carefully for errors. (and usualy still get graded down for the one or two that I miss) however, here I don't think it's realy that nessesary. I shouldn't have to impress you people. these forums are casual. they're intened to be fun. I'm not going to have fun if I have to scrutinize every post for errors.

We have fun but most of us have learned the benefits of being as clear and concise as possible when trying to communicate serious information.

ubidubikid #1 wrote:if anyone is honestly having problems reading my posts. please give an example of the post in question and tell me why you had trouble interpreting what I was trying to say. if the errors are not actualy obscureing the content, then leave me alone.
The first two phrases are inappropriately seperated by a period which caused me to pause, lose the rhythm of your intended sentence, and go back to reread it, this time mentally removing the period. Also, the absence of the second 'l' from 'actualy' did, in fact prevent me from recognizing it as a familiar word upon first glance and force me to slow my reading pace, as did the missing commas from this phrase:
ubidubikid #1 wrote:if you think honestly think that what I say is not far more important than how I say it




ubidubikid #1 wrote:if you don't think my posts are interesting enough to make up for having to deal with lower case letters, then just ignore them, they're not hurting you.
I believe that, for the last few posts, at least, we have been pointing out the weak points in your argument, not the errors in your spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.; uninteresting posts are, for the most part, ignored. Or are you asking for those of us who disagree with your philosophy toward conventional writing etiquette to also ignore the meaning behind your posts?
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

User avatar
ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:31 pm
Location: one computer down from ubidubium

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Edd wrote:
ubidubikid #1 wrote:a common point people are making that I would like to address:
1: you're going to need grammar to impress people!

I think the point is actually that people will judge you based on your grammar. Not pretty, but true.

Yes. I am well aware that people will judge by appearances, whether that applies to posts or to someone's face. However, in real life, I've kind of gotten used to it. I look horrible. I'm fat, people assume I'm stupid. I've had to deal with that since fourth grade. I don't see any reason why it should bother me now.
Edd wrote:
ubidubikid #1 wrote:if anyone is honestly having problems reading my posts. please give an example of the post in question and tell me why you had trouble interpreting what I was trying to say. if the errors are not actualy obscuring the content, then leave me alone.
The first two phrases are inappropriately separated by a period which caused me to pause, lose the rhythm of your intended sentence, and go back to reread it, this time mentally removing the period. Also, the absence of the second 'l' from 'actualy' did, in fact prevent me from recognizing it as a familiar word upon first glance and force me to slow my reading pace, as did the missing commas from this phrase:
ubidubikid #1 wrote:if you think honestly think that what I say is not far more important than how I say it

Yes, I notice the unnecessary period now, usually I do try to avoid those sorts of mistakes. As for the thing about the second "l," there has been a study with the results that in most cases it doesn't matter exactly how the word is spelled as long as the first and last letter are located correctly and the rest of the letters are present. I think the reason these sorts of errors slow you down is the human programming to spot differences. We're so used to seeing words spelled correctly that we take notice when one is wrong. Which is what slows us down. A lot of my misspelling are not typos, but simply how I usually spell the word in question. I'm used writing it that way, so I don't notice that it's wrong. I suppose that is what spell check is for, but I don't have one on my browser, and I'd really rather not boot up Word for every post.
And in that last phrase, I don't see any missing commas, I do however see and extra "think" in there, which was not intended. This is a result of replacing bits of sentences and not fully deleting what was there already. It shows that I do proof read, just not enough apparently.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

Image

User avatar
Edd
Stripmeister
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Edd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm

You've mentioned spell check a couple of times so I feel compelled to say that I do not encourage using spell check instead of learning a proper vocabulary, just as I don't encourage using a calculator for simple math. Spell check is a handy tool for verifying the knowledge you already have and correcting the occasional mistake, just as a calculator is. I use Word for posts longer than a couple of sentences in order to avoid cross-posting when I want to spend a significant amount of time putting my thoughts in order and for catching those typos that invariably creep in, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to written communication and I spend much more time searching for just the right word compared to correcting errors. And I find it easier to edit in Word, but that's just me. And I usually already have it open for other reasons by the time I get around to visiting here. The preview button I only use when my post contains []'s.

if you think honestly think that what I say

I thought you meant to write:
if you think, honestly think, that what I say
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

User avatar
Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen
Posts: 2794
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Wawizzle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Reading "Funny in Farsi" by Firoozeh Dumas. Assigned to read this for my upcoming "Freshmen Orientation" class *sigh*.

The book is stellar though. I've laughed out loud quite a few times while reading. It's a memoir of Firoozeh's father. Firoozeh's family are Iranian immigrants tot he United States and the book focuses on the culture difference and adaptation the family goes through. Really good for "light reading" and for an interesting perspective on American culture, ethics, and politics.

And I have to side with Edd and Daftbeaker. "In business, reputation is everything." Practicing good habits will help you in your career, an aspect many of us will have to deal with (since we are not all given million-dollar baskets at our doorsteps).
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

User avatar
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent
Posts: 9629
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Where the Sun don't shine

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby PKMKII » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Just picked up "Simple Justice" by Richard Kluger from the library (on recommendation from Ubi Dubius)
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

User avatar
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege
Posts: 7990
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Francemouth

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Predator's Gold, Phillip Reeve.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
Posts: 24540
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 am

daftbeaker wrote:"You were lucky! We had to get up half an hour before we went to bed, pay for the privilege of working down the mill and when we got home Dad would murder us and dance on our graves!"
"And you try telling that to the young people today and will they believe you?" :haha:


You lucky bastard...we lived in a paper bag an we had to lick road clean with tongue.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
Posts: 24540
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 am

I am reading 'Super-Cannes' by JG Ballard.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
Posts: 7664
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Scott the Pirate » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 am

Finally finishing Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Damned kids getting in the way of my reading!! :grin:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

User avatar
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk
Posts: 4301
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm
Location: off me leesh
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi reeden Missus Bovery by Gusty Flubbert. Dis laydee Emmer gits marry an den she hez lots uv boy-frens an sech, an den she dyes. It ent got no pyrits, or hanimuls, nor nuffink. Ets rubbish, dun bovver.
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

User avatar
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege
Posts: 7990
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Francemouth

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:51 pm

black bart wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:"You were lucky! We had to get up half an hour before we went to bed, pay for the privilege of working down the mill and when we got home Dad would murder us and dance on our graves!"
"And you try telling that to the young people today and will they believe you?" :haha:


You lucky bastard...we lived in a paper bag an we had to lick road clean with tongue.
Luxury! We lived at the bottom of a lake, and every day we'd get horsewhipped for drowning! We didn't even get to eat!
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.


Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests