What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:33 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Ubi Dubius wrote:I'm reading Faith Based Estate Planning. Ubi Dubium made a face when I showed it to her. It's written by an acquaintence of mine. It compares the beliefs of many different religions, focusing on issues such as tithing, investment decisions, end of life decisions, and burial decisions.

I'm with her on the facemaking thing. Bad enough that the <insert religious group here> messes with you all through your life, then they have to screw up your heirs' lives too.

Her reaction was merely to the title. The contents are very useful.

I don't see how this is screwing up heirs' lives.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 am

Yes, its the "Faith-Based" phrase in the title that makes this book sound awful. Sounds like Dub's horrible farce of using tax money to fund religions.

It's really - "What Estate-Planning attorneys need to know about religions and cultural expectations about end of life, funeral, and inheritance decisions" But that's a lousy name. I looked over the book, and it actually looks pretty good.

For instance, if a client wants to be and organ donor, then cremated, and wants to leave everything to a daughter, but their cultural background and religion forbade organ donation or cremation and only allowed money to be left to sons, it would help a lot if the attorney was aware of this stuff before he had to deal with bereaved family members. Doesn't mean that he would be telling his client to change his plans, but he would be advising him to talk those decisions over with the family that would be left behind.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:I'm reading Faith Based Estate Planning. Ubi Dubium made a face when I showed it to her. It's written by an acquaintence of mine. It compares the beliefs of many different religions, focusing on issues such as tithing, investment decisions, end of life decisions, and burial decisions.

Funny story about that, faith-based Islamic investment funds have been performing relatively well compared to the market at large, as those funds don't put any investments in real estate-related companies.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 am

Just waiting for PON to come back to help me understand the awesome mind of Mr Stephen Hawkings. :scientist:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 am

butt
butt
butt misser hakin areddy wited tha booke fer dummys .
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:28 am

started to read The Third Policeman last night
one of the best opening chapters i've read in a long time - nice to read real literature again
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Hippie Pirate » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Just finished the V for Vendetta graphic novel and found it better than the movie. I still enjoy the movie and will be watching it every November 5th as usual.
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4

S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby S'presso » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night.

Brilliant depiction of an ASD, and yet he comes across as a likeable character (and his parents are appalling people).

I remembered I had a copy of that, and started reading it when I saw your post!
I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Currently New Scientist, Private Eye, The Times and Chemistry World. I like to buy all my magazines on one day.

Also started reading Thief Of Time last week, enjoying the third time through. Unfortunately the bit I thought was in there isn't. I was sure there was a bit where Clodpool asks Wen what the sound of one hand clapping is and Wen just slaps him, apparently my memory is playing tricks on me.

Roy Hunter wrote:The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night.

Brilliant depiction of an ASD, and yet he comes across as a likeable character (and his parents are appalling people).

I've been meaning to read that for a while, a couple of friends said it was really good. What's ASD though, Asperger's Syndrome D? or Autistic Syndrome D?
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am

Hippie Pirate wrote:Just finished the V for Vendetta graphic novel and found it better than the movie. I still enjoy the movie and will be watching it every November 5th as usual.
Oh wow, we do the same thing!
At least I'm not the only one.

I'm planning to read Watchmen every October 12, as well.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:59 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
Hippie Pirate wrote:Just finished the V for Vendetta graphic novel and found it better than the movie. I still enjoy the movie and will be watching it every November 5th as usual.
Oh wow, we do the same thing!
At least I'm not the only one.

I'm planning to read Watchmen every October 12, as well.

That's a good idea, you can read those books quite quickly. I must read "League of Gentleman' again as well to exorsise the memory of the dreadful film.

I think I'm the only person who didn't like 'The Curious Incident'...I don't know why I just didn't enjoy it.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:08 am

Hi readen The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.

Es diffrint frum the uvver books abowt pooh. Dares dis bloke wot sits and finks and rites and sech, an sum tymes the bear toks to im, an sum tymes ee toks to the bare, but Hi not reeeeely shoor if the bare is reeeeeely dare.

So dis Benjamin feller is a bit lyke Unkle Mad, yer no?

The Great Way is universal,
It can apply to the left or the right,
All beings depend for life on it,
And it does not refuse.

Fank ye, ye welkum.
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:04 am

:cry:

Tao of Pooh...

:cry:

Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Wawizzle » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 am

Got my hands on 1984 so I paused Candide.

I'm loving 1984 a lot (as I thought I would). It's so eery how realistic the book is and how it's not hard to imagine it happening.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:02 pm

(things in italic are "whiny, snotty tone)

I didn't get a chance to do much reading this week. Damn kids...always wanting stuff like food and juice and love....And they always want to go to the park and launch rockets and hug their dad. Sheesh.

:smile:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”