What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Robbobrob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:18 pm

I just finished "Why is God Laughing?" and just started "The Bible According to Mark Twain."

We who really love satire could learn alot from Mr. Twain. He was definitely touched by His Noodly Appendage.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:Ah, see, I like that. I'll have to check it out. Any recommendations?

I'm stumbling through Notes of a Dirty Old Man right now.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:56 pm

Almost here! Ohboyohboyohboyohboy....

http://www.amazon.com/Anathem-Neal-Step ... 0061474096

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:25 am

Sorry Bart, but 'Pickwick Papers' will have to wait. It's not in my school library, and it'll take me a few weeks to get out of the house and to the local library.

Starting the 'Wheel of Time' series instead. The author died before finishing the last book, but he left very detailed notes, and the person that has previously aided him with the series is going to finish it. I hope it's done before I get to the 11th book.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

sky lukewarmer
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby sky lukewarmer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:12 am

I am currently reading Blind Faith by Ben Elton and I felt compelled to say that when Trafford is enlightened by discovering the Humanists it so closely mirrored my own wonderment and euphoria at finding FSM.
solve the worlds problems make the hungry eat the homeless: just call me Godfree.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:10 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Starting the 'Wheel of Time' series instead. The author died before finishing the last book, but he left very detailed notes, and the person that has previously aided him with the series is going to finish it. I hope it's done before I get to the 11th book.

Oh Good FSM. I hope you have some free time on your hands. I've been waiting for that series to wrap up since 1996. Don't miss the prequel novel as well.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 am

I finished And The Band Played On... It was very good, keeps you interested. The only problem I found was that the author did have a very slanted bias, but I happen to agree with that bias, so all's cool.

I've now picked up Strangers in Paradise, by Terry Moore. I've read a few issues before, and OMFG this is an incredible comic. He has some of the best characters in the industry. I urge all of you, even those who don't read comics to read it.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Sorry Bart, but 'Pickwick Papers' will have to wait. It's not in my school library, and it'll take me a few weeks to get out of the house and to the local library.

Starting the 'Wheel of Time' series instead. The author died before finishing the last book, but he left very detailed notes, and the person that has previously aided him with the series is going to finish it. I hope it's done before I get to the 11th book.

Dearest DTH -

Please consult en.wikisource.org for all your public realm literature needs.

Yours -

~E.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:58 am

Rainswept wrote:Oh Good FSM. I hope you have some free time on your hands. I've been waiting for that series to wrap up since 1996. Don't miss the prequel novel as well.

There's a prequel? Cool. And yes, I have plenty of free time, at the moment.

sky lukewarmer wrote:I am currently reading Blind Faith by Ben Elton and I felt compelled to say that when Trafford is enlightened by discovering the Humanists it so closely mirrored my own wonderment and euphoria at finding FSM.

Make sure you tell us what you think! I love that book.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:56 am

Finished "Memnoch the Devil".

I liked it. It wasn't the best of the four, but that's probably because it was very much a different story. I found the theological interpretation interesting, and the writing was excellent as usual.

Now I'm reading "Rebecca".
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:46 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:I finished And The Band Played On... It was very good, keeps you interested. The only problem I found was that the author did have a very slanted bias, but I happen to agree with that bias, so all's cool.

I've now picked up Strangers in Paradise, by Terry Moore. I've read a few issues before, and OMFG this is an incredible comic. He has some of the best characters in the industry. I urge all of you, even those who don't read comics to read it.

Twas on thee telly not too long ago , excellent job .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:34 pm

Rainswept wrote:Picked up Royal Assassin this afternoon.

Finished Royal Assassin, next up is Assassin's Quest. Really enjoying this story.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:07 am

Almost done with a re-read of American Gods, and a conversation with my Mom tonight has me wanting to re-read On Human Bondage so I can talk about it with her without the pauses to remember the story. Yeah, I know that Rainswept hates it, but I like it a lot. Especially when I read a little more about Maugham's life, and realized that the kid with a club foot was, in real life, a kid with a terrible stutter, and while Maugham was homosexual and the lead of the book was not, it was damn near an autobiography. What I like about Maugham is his characters - the dialog can be shaky, and his prose is sometimes (well, often) overly wordy, but his characters are amazing. All things being equal, I'll probably just read All Tomorrow's Parties again, and wait for Stephenson's next to be released.

~E.

Phlebas
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Phlebas » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:23 am

Ahoy the shore!!!

I'm reading The Algebraist by Iain M Banks (again). Now there's a guy with imagination.
Wake me at the zenith of the moon.

Phlebas The Phoenician

Ramen

Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Moral Minority » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 am

I am reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath now.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”