What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:24 pm

Six Armies in Normandy:
by John Keegan
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby St John the Blasphemist » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:24 am

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (again)

This, and Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! Trilogy are the reason why I refuse to read that Dan Brown book cos I know it'll be shite in comparison.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Spitefulness

Intelligence: What stupid people think they have lots of.
Stupidity: What intelligent people wish they had less of.

I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my country.
- Pol Pot

Check out St JtB's MySpace page here!!

Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Dan(da haole guy) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Aloha..St_JtB, you are my hero..it took me a week to wade thru the first 100 p. of "Pendulum"..if i ever find an unwary semioticist wandering & mumbling about memes, i'm gonna smack 'em upside the head..
KAULANA NA PUA A'O FSM..HANO HANO..FSM NO KA OI..

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:08 am

Inkheart: Strnage, and wonderful story. Recommended. There is a sequel, and also a conclusion coming out soon.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:33 am

Read in the past 2 days:

Island of Dr Moreau
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Calena » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:50 am

And how did you like the final chapter of HP? (That`s an invitation to come and post in the Spoiler-Thread for HP)

I`m reading a book about Dante`s Inferno. Wisely when I ordered Dante`s Inferno on amazon I ordered two books which will hopefully explain the whole thing to me with it.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:01 pm

Calena wrote:And how did you like the final chapter of HP? (That`s an invitation to come and post in the Spoiler-Thread for HP)

I`m reading a book about Dante`s Inferno. Wisely when I ordered Dante`s Inferno on amazon I ordered two books which will hopefully explain the whole thing to me with it.

How did you enjoy Inferno?

I read Inferno, and Purgatorio, but I just couldn't read Paradiso...too boring, I'm sad to say.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein

Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Calena » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:04 pm

I started reading it twice, but I really have trouble getting used to the verse. But I read the Odysee (is it called something else in English?) and quite liked it, so I´m confident I will finally manage to get through Inferno (and maybe the other two, too.) But I thought maybe it will be easier if I read one of the "explanation"-books first.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"

http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:10 pm

Calena wrote:I started reading it twice, but I really have trouble getting used to the verse. But I read the Odysee (is it called something else in English?) and quite liked it, so I´m confident I will finally manage to get through Inferno (and maybe the other two, too.) But I thought maybe it will be easier if I read one of the "explanation"-books first.

Inferno is the better of the three.
It's much more violent.

The Odyssey, by the way.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:38 pm

Any time you read verse translated from another language, look for a translation that doesn't rhyme. Unless you just want to be entertained by the crappy translation.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:57 am

Read:
The Perigrine, by Poul Anderson

Starting:
The First Men in the Moon, by H.G. Wells

Rapscallion
Ziti Zealot

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm reading Alchemy and Alchemists by Sean Martin. I love a good mystery and the world of alchemy is certainly that.
Thar'll be no more rum 'til we reach Portabellorrr!

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:09 am

The Legacy of Gird: by Elizabeth Moon
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Max_Painful
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Max_Painful » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:36 am

Macquarie Revision Guide - HSC PDHPE - by Darryl Buchanon and Michelle Nemec
"I do believe, I do I do I DO believe in god... Therefore god exists..." - The God Delusion

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:07 am

Still reading
The First Men in the Moon, by H.G. Wells

But finished
The Clone Republic by Steven L. Kent
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”