The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

alexi
Conchigliette Convert

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby alexi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:56 am

has anyone played the third professor layton?
for you who doesnt know about it, its a clue-and quizgame, from japan originally, i think. its professor layton and his little child-friend... :bounce:

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:29 pm

I got Assassins Creed II for Christmas. I probably won't start it until next week when I'm back at school, and we'll see how long it takes to complete. Should be fun though. I just can't wait to see what the crazy nonsensical ending is in this one. XD
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:26 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I got Assassins Creed II for Christmas. I probably won't start it until next week when I'm back at school, and we'll see how long it takes to complete. Should be fun though. I just can't wait to see what the crazy nonsensical ending is in this one. XD

At last someone has the same game as me. :bounce:

I like climbing all over the rooftops of 15th century Florence.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Are they easier than 11th century Arabia? I'd hope they're more uniform, and less huge freaking towers for no good reason. :twisted:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Are they easier than 11th century Arabia? I'd hope they're more uniform, and less huge freaking towers for no good reason. :twisted:

I had to climb an enormous tower just to speak to my dad, so it doesn't look good. I can hire concubines to wander round with me and use them to distract guards.

(I might as well put that in the QOOC thread myself :facepalm: )
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Anyone ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl? A goldmine of game play for sure, although it's less in depth than a Bethesda/Bioware game.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Clifford wrote:Anyone ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl? A goldmine of game play for sure, although it's less in depth than a Bethesda/Bioware game.

Yep, played it through several times. Loads of bugs and glitches but still great fun :smile:

If you're going to get another one I'd suggest Call of Pripyat over Clear Sky, both are much more free roaming than the first but Clear Sky can be almost unplayable from the bugs, Call of Pripyat is much more stable :wink:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 am

Assassins Creed II is an extraordinary game. Not only is it a beautiful game to play, at the moment I'm in Venice, but it teaches you little bits about Renaissance Italy and the Medici family etc. One of my favourite games of all time.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Agreed. I'm almost done with it. It does a lot of very interesting things. I even think it has enough value to be counted as art. I'm most intrigued by the parallels between the player and Desmond/Ezio with Desmond and Ezio. The whole animus machine is basically a videogame itself.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:13 am

I had an hilarious time playing Red Dead Redemption online last night. I joined a posse with a couple of Scousers (lads from Liverpool) and we had the task to clear The Bollard Gang out of a an old ghost town called Tumbleweed. We'd killed all of the gang apart from the leader and as I approached the big old house where he was hiding I could hear the Liverpudlians arguing, you have to imagine their strong Liverpool accents like the Beatles:
"I can't find him...he's upstairs...no, he's on the roof...

I could see where he was on the mini map so I shouted "He's in the basement you daft scouse gits!"

Relations in the posse became tense after that but somehow we stayed together and went on to enjoy some very good knife and fist fights.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am

nationalism is fun in online games, especially ones with voice chat so you can make fun of their accents. I'm still trying to get my one British friend to do an American accent. I don't remember precisely where he is, somewhere outside London I think, but he's got some specific accent I've never heard of.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:22 am

Spike Milligan / Peter Sellers, India

:lol:

I used to work with an Indian guy and he hated me...people said it was because the Welsh accent sounds a bit Indian and he thought I was taking the piss.

I was in a Texan Posse last night but I didn't have my microphone on...it would have ruined the atmos to have one Welsh cowboy and also when I was part of a Mexican Posse (perhaps they were Spanish) they took the piss out of me relentlessly. I hope the Scousers come back they had me in stitches.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Just started playing Champions Online. It's actually not bad, though I've barely started actually playing. I'm having to much fun in the character creator. I think I've settled, though. Here's his backstory. I only did it because I imagine everyone's too busy making their ninjas and Goku rip-offs that nobody's even thought of this one yet:

Pritchard Hawkins was a quiet, relatively unassuming Biology professor, at least for someone with six bestselling science books on the shelf. With the publication of "The God Hallucination", he became the world's most famous atheist.

Simultaniously, somewhere in the Bible Belt, a secretive cult performed dark rituals on a young boy, seeking to recreate him, not in God's image, but with God's powers. Dubbed "The Creationist", this villain began a murderous rampage, hunting down athiests and scientists from America to Indonesia.

Summoning the courage to defend his people, Dr. Hawkins has faced off with The Creationist again and again. Countering blind faith with reason, the supernatural with science, and pure malice with a very large gun, The Darwinian fights his shadow war. Can he succeed? Well, I don't know, I don't have enough empirical evidence to make a projection. But I can tell you, I don't have faith, and that's a very good sign.

Completely original, I know. I can't imagine who inspired this one.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:24 am

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

A friend of mine in the old book and paper days invented Meteorman! Very heavy, very fast, and he can run into things very hard.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm

I just played several hours of Bad Company 2. It's an odd game, when it goes badly it's rage inducing like no other game I've played (apart from Call of Duty games but they're just irritating generally) but when it goes well it's great fun.

I think part of it is the need to work well with the rest of your team, unlike most multiplayer shooters where the team with the best average skill will win.

Plus I found a sever that's not populated with whining morons :bounce:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”