The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:56 am

Plants...that reminds me of Resident Evil in which to restore your health you had to find different kinds of plants and mix them together. You'd be in the middle of a Mass Zombie Attack and you'd be going: I've got the red plant but not the green plant...oh crap!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Finished Portal 2. I was definitely not expecting that ending.

Although, [spoilers]I think we should make "a Wheatley boss" part of the English lexicon: an incompetent buffoon who kind of fell into the position due to the sudden exit of the old boss, as opposed to earning it, and proceeded to completely FUBAR the department/business/etc.[/spoilers]
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:28 am

PKMKII wrote:Finished Portal 2. I was definitely not expecting that ending.

Although, [spoilers]I think we should make "a Wheatley boss" part of the English lexicon: an incompetent buffoon who kind of fell into the position due to the sudden exit of the old boss, as opposed to earning it, and proceeded to completely FUBAR the department/business/etc.[/spoilers]

I must get back to finishing Portal One!

I've heard portal 2 is excellent.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am

black bart wrote:I've heard portal 2 is expensive.

Fixed :idiot:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 am

daftbeaker wrote:
black bart wrote:I've heard portal 2 is expensive.

Fixed :idiot:

Not if you do as I do and buy it off your mate for a few quid when he's got fed up of it.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Stranded II is amazing. It's a desert island survival scenario, and you have to combine items to make tools, build shelter, hunt food, avoid lions, etc. Also, it's free. Fantastic way of killing some time.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:37 am

OMG, I have to work early tomorrow... but Minecraft... must finish excavating my subterranean base of operations before delving even deepe...zzz
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:42 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Stranded II is amazing. It's a desert island survival scenario, and you have to combine items to make tools, build shelter, hunt food, avoid lions, etc. Also, it's free. Fantastic way of killing some time.

It sounds like going on holiday in Tunisia...or Sweden if you exchange the Lions for Polar Bears.

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:09 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:OMG, I have to work early tomorrow... but Minecraft... must finish excavating my subterranean base of operations before delving even deepe...zzz

UDKid#1 has been playing Minecraft. I don't know what's going on, except that Creepers are bad.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:OMG, I have to work early tomorrow... but Minecraft... must finish excavating my subterranean base of operations before delving even deepe...zzz

UDKid#1 has been playing Minecraft. I don't know what's going on, except that Creepers are bad.

Creepers, are you kidding me? They are the Devil Incarnate.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:52 am

I've been doing a bit of retro 'Doom' and 'Castle Wolfenstein'.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
black bart wrote:I've been doing a bit of retro 'Doom' and 'Castle Wolfenstein'.
For you, Black Bart, ze ban is over.

:lol:

Still the Germans were such a well balanced lot before video games were invented weren't they?

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:18 am

Video games were invented in the middle of World War II. It was a one-dimensional Pong-like game.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:31 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Video games were invented in the middle of World War II. It was a one-dimensional Pong-like game.

Who the hell had time for video games during World War Two?

Hitler in his bunker?

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:05 am

Ashley's been obsessing over an RPG lately: Persona 3. It's an obscure title that's part of an offshoot series from an equally obscure series that's been around about as long as Final Fantasy. I think there's a reason the series is obscure.

***SPOILER ALERT DON'T LOOK IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THIS TERRIBLE GAME***
You pay $50 for the game, and then you play through it, and although your choices in the game affect how the game plays out, your character dies at the end, in the exact same manner, no matter what. You don't get to see the ending to the story, what happens to the villain or your fellow party members or anything, unless you pay another $50 for the special edition that has the final battle and the ending.

Of course, nowadays you can just buy the special edition used and avoid the problem. But what if you unwittingly bought the original game, new, when it came out? That's insulting and disrespectful to the player in the extreme. I would never support the company that released that released that shit. Ashley of course bought the original version ported to the PSP, used, and then found out the "ending" problem and bought the special edition for the PS2. She's still playing the PSP version and wants me to play it, but I absolutely refuse.
***END SPOILER***
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”