Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:06 pm

I heard Your Love by the Outfield at the cafeteria, so now I've got Jessie's Girl stuck in my head. Or rather, because of that, I'm listening to it on youtube.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Great, now I'm listening to Beethoven again, but thinking about Rick "don't call me Bruce" Springfield. Hilarious guy.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Johnny Cash - One.

So much better when Bono is nowhere near it :smile:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:33 am

Justin Bieber. Just had an interview in the new Rolling Stone. Seemed like a douche. I decided to check out his shit anyway, just to keep up on current trends. His music is standard pop fare. Why the ridiculous, cultish love?
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Justin Bieber. Just had an interview in the new Rolling Stone. Seemed like a douche. I decided to check out his shit anyway, just to keep up on current trends. His music is standard pop fare. Why the ridiculous, cultish love?

He has that look that works for tweens and early teens just hitting their age of sexuality. They want an idol to fantasize about that is male, but lacks the intimidating, adult masculinity. Nothing new, really:

BTW, why do you say he seems like a douche? The abortion comments?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 am

The general cocky tone of his conversation, his "Wangsta" attitude, and his incessant use of the word "Swag".

He seems arrogant, though that's to be expected from an incredibly famous teenager. The abortion comments were one thing that I LIKED, simply because he actually admitted that he can't judge someone in a situation he's not experienced.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:42 am

PKMKII wrote:He has that look that works for tweens and early teens just hitting their age of sexuality. They want an idol to fantasize about that is male, but lacks the intimidating, adult masculinity.

Which should get interesting as soon as his balls drop.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 am

Beethoven's 7th symphony, then "Surfin Bird" by the Safaris.

If that doesn't make your brain explode, nothing will.

PS:
I've never seen a picture of Bieber before. Looks like River Phoenix did, and similar to Mark Hamill in the first Star Wars, too. By weird phenotypical accident, I temporarily looked quite a bit like that between age 10 and 15 as well, which had an "unusual" effect on older american girls. That picture explains a lot. It's a USA thing. That's actually what Michael Jackson was TRYING to look like, too.
PSS:
Re: Bieber/Osmond similarity. Whatever one thinks of mormon religion or philosophy, the "ethnic" mormons are a handsome people in an anglo-dutch-germanic kind of way, eh? (I've known a lot of them.)
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 am

looking at their hair, Biebers looks a lot more combed or processed or something. Well, just as much care was probably put into Donny's for that picture, but for a different effect. I was wondering what Donny's hair might look like if the photo was taken with the same quality level of the modern Bieber picture, and I'm not sure it would. Dunno if we just don't like the style as much anymore, or if maybe the quality level of our picture taking abilities affect how celebrities have to prepare themselves? I'm sure there are ways of preparing hair that look fine in real life, but on a high quality still photo, look really weird. So now we have a hairstyle on Bieber that is designed not to actually be worn, but to be photographed.

Listening to Great Big Sea, thanks to Zank and El getting them in my head again (Had "Ol Black Rum" stuck in my head since I woke up).

Currently: Berry Picking Time.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 am

Foreigner's "Long Long Way From Home" (first album).

That Donny Osmond pic is probably from the early 1970's. Yes, people looked like that on purpose back then. Dinosaur attacks were still common then, so a huge mop of hair was good camouflage. I covered this era somewhere in RR&M section of the forum recently. edit: (Random Thoughts p 459)

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 am

Listening to the Alan Parsons Project "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" album, the first one of glorious many. Because of a serious allergy to the cannibus genus, I am one of the few people to listen to this album while NOT stoned.

I remember the casual violence of the 1970's the same way, Roy. Since everyone was about 90 minutes from nuclear annihilation anyway, a few bumps and bruises didn't amount to much, apparently. I don't think anyone who grew up after the fall of the Berlin Wall can quite appreciate the level of cynical doom that hung over the planet in those last sarcastic years of the Cold War. Better for them, really, as it was the end of a very ugly time.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
PKMKII wrote:He has that look that works for tweens and early teens just hitting their age of sexuality. They want an idol to fantasize about that is male, but lacks the intimidating, adult masculinity.

Which should get interesting as soon as his balls drop.

As far as I can see it, he's got three options. He either falls into obscurity like so many tiger beat stars before him. He can pull a Justin Timberlake and rebrand himself as a more mature, sophisticated musical sex icon. Or he can do something with his drum skills.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm listening to Bohemian Rhapsody on a cassette tape I bought in 1982.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 pm

The album The Brotherhood by Running Wild, the oldest pirate metal band around.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:18 am

I put together a mix CD that isn't burned onto a CD yet. I call it "Ether Mix", and the CD art will feature the Ether item from Pokemon. It has many of my recent favorite songs, which I noticed today had a sort of ethereal theme running through them. The biggest outlier is the TMBG trip hop song, which I stuck in the middle and arranged the rest of the tracks around it, I think to good effect. We'll see how I like it when I listen straight through with headphones tomorrow morning. I may tweak it further.

1. Alanis Morissette - Thank U
2. Pink Floyd - Take It Back
3. Fleetwood Mac - Seven Wonders [Cover]
4. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
5. The Fuzz - Me And The Sea
6. Dire Straits - Ride Across The River
7. The Beatles - A Day In The Life
8. They Might Be Giants - Am I Awake?
9. Radiohead - Reckoner
10. Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
11. Death Cab For Cutie - Soul Meets Body
12. Oingo Boingo - Stay
13. Paul Simon - Graceland
14. Crosby Stills & Nash - Southern Cross
15. Led Zeppelin - The Battle of Evermore
16. Pamela Wyn Shannon - Netherworld
17. Nobuo Uematsu - Lifestream (from Final Fantasy VII soundtrack)

Most of those can probably be listened to on YouTube, if only in low-quality, soon to be removed or live versions, except for Me And The Sea, which the band posted along with the rest of the album on their message board at thefuzz.net but which I don't know if the files and their links are still there, and Netherworld, which is available to listen to on Pamela Wyn Shannon's Myspace page.

My sister turned me on to Fleet Foxes today, and I immediately fell in love with White Winter Hymnal. The band's lyrics are a little too suicidal for my liking, but the music is just so beautiful I can probably forgive it and buy their records when I have money to spend.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”