Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby PKMKII » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Bug
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Bug » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Error: Clever pun and random quote not found

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Dropkick Murphys - The Auld Triangle
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Bug
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Bug » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 am

The Amplifetes - When the music died

Excuse the horrible quality youtube video
Error: Clever pun and random quote not found

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Well, I'm a huge Gorillaz fan, so I'd suggest Plastic Beach.

Currently listening to MC Chris right now, for some reason. "Tractor Beam" It's an odd track mostly about sex, but it involves some of my favorite lyrics: "All this sex affects my syntax." Not sure if it's brilliant or not, but I just like that sentence. :haha:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:17 am

Here's an amusing tribute to Fictional Bands from Movie's (can you spot how many times the guys from spinal tap appear?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/fake_bands_in_movies.html
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:36 am

Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Stream of Conciousness by Dream Theater, Live in Boudokan
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 pm

I've been listening to "The Dance" by Fleetwood Mac. It's a live album, the live reunion album. It was a short reunion, as Christine McVie left the band again shortly thereafter, and I love her songs and her singing, but still, The Dance is excellent. Notably, it features Lindsey Buckingham not singing falsetto like he usually does on their studio albums, and his voice is POWERFUL. I don't know why he doesn't sing that way all the time, instead of his womanly falsetto. He sounds great when he sings like a man. Stevie, on the other hand, didn't really extend herself as much as she's known too. This is especially noticeable in "Rhiannon", where at points where she'd hit a high, shrill shriek in other recorded live versions, her voice drops in pitch instead on this recording. It's still an excellent recording though, featuring the so-called "lost verse".

Highlights are "The Chain", "Everywhere", "Silver Springs", "Go Your Own Way", and "Don't Stop". "Landslide" is the most popular track, along with Silver Springs, but it doesn't interest me much, compared to the studio version.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:34 am

Fairport Convention are coming to Twickenham :bounce:

No Richard Thompson but you can't have everything (only 400 tickets).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:52 am

The Black Keys album "Brothers." SO GOOD TO HEAR IT.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 pm

A mashup of Smack My Bitch Up with The Hotstepper. It's actually really good :bounce:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Finally getting around to seeing what's up with The Real McKenzies and the Pogues. Starting with Loch'd n' Loaded.

I wonder if I could do a section of the pirate show dedicated to piratey/mythical water beasts?

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:18 pm

On my way home from work last night, I listened to WASH FM's Disco Saturday night. Kept me awake on that late-night drive!
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 am

Captain Kidd, by Great Big Sea. It came up on my Pandora station.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”