CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby Rainswept » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:19 pm

PKMKII wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Although, I am smitten with the Mellie character (Miracle Laurie). Heh, third Joss Whedon series in which I find one of the secondary female characters whose not presented as being as hot as the lead, the hot one.

I got into a bit of an argument when someone insisted to me that Christina Hendricks was the most attractive woman on Firefly. It's obviously Jewel Staite :confused:

I think she's hotter now on Mad Men then she was on Firefly. Not sure if she's changed physically, or if it's just the role.

She's one of those women who can go from crazy hot to simply not. Personally I found her very appealing in Firefly, and not bad in Mad Men, but when u see her not in diet mode with TV lighting.. http://cdn02.cdn.thesuperficial.com/wp- ... 80x720.jpg
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Rainswept

Postby Rainswept » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:24 pm

oh and for the record, while Jewel Staite is hot and plays a sexier character, (did u know Joss made her gain weight to play Kaylee?) You cannot talk about hot girls from firefly and leave out the incredible Summer Glau.

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Rainswept wrote:She's one of those women who can go from crazy hot to simply not. Personally I found her very appealing in Firefly, and not bad in Mad Men, but when u see her not in diet mode with TV lighting.. http://cdn02.cdn.thesuperficial.com/wp- ... 80x720.jpg

Actually, I have no problem with her appearance or weight in that photo. The smoking, on the other hand...

Rainswept wrote:oh and for the record, while Jewel Staite is hot and plays a sexier character, (did u know Joss made her gain weight to play Kaylee?) You cannot talk about hot girls from firefly and leave out the incredible Summer Glau.

Eh, Summer's alright, but she doesn't do too much for me personally. Lacks a certain sense of maturity, and I find her forehead distracting.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Rainswept

Postby Rainswept » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 am

The maturity thing comes from the roles she plays. Summer is older than Jewel. Don't get me wrong, Jewel is also smoking hot.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 pm

This actually sounds rather familiar :whistle:

Edit - Sweet FSM, it's worse than I thought. There's this idea that if people refuse to do any work and fail all of their exams that's somehow the fault of the system rather than the morons that throw away an opportunity :furious:

Edit again - Fixed the link, sorry about that. I somehow mixed up the link to my google inbox with the actual article :blush: That was entirely my fault rather than anything to do with google. Also, the TV show is available for limeys here.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:17 pm

daftbeaker wrote:This actually sounds rather familiar :whistle:

Edit - Sweet FSM, it's worse than I thought. There's this idea that if people refuse to do any work and fail all of their exams that's somehow the fault of the system rather than the morons that throw away an opportunity :furious:

It won't let me look at it unless I sign up for Google Reader, and I don't feel like bothering. Another link/expansion on your complaint?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I may have been a bit presumptuous. There's still a lot of blaming self-destructive behaviour on the system rather than the child but they're actually getting through to the kids.

Starkey's first lesson reminded me of the first time I tried to get children to shut up :whistle:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 am

daftbeaker wrote:I may have been a bit presumptuous. There's still a lot of blaming self-destructive behaviour on the system rather than the child but they're actually getting through to the kids.

Starkey's first lesson reminded me of the first time I tried to get children to shut up :whistle:

I usually avoid anything with Jamey Oliver in anyway but thanks for pointing this out. There were lots of good quotes in the Guardian article but I plumped for this one:

The entire programme should have been billed not as a crusading mission documentary, but as a chilling warning about how technology will inevitably destroy human civilisation by distracting it into stupidity and madness.

They're not actually school kids though, they are young people who have left school to become as one with their mobile phone. I wonder what real teachers think of the programme.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Nigel Farage is a smug twat. That is all.

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Wonders of the Universe on the BBC. I'm not liking it much so far. Brian Cox is very good at communicating ideas but I find his delivery slow. I think I'll stick with his books.

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:02 am

does anyone know if another series of Walking Dead is imminent? I really enjoyed the first "season" and I was hoping that it would be quickly followed by more.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Horza wrote:does anyone know if another series of Walking Dead is imminent? I really enjoyed the first "season" and I was hoping that it would be quickly followed by more.

Do you mean 'Waking the Dead'?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Uh uh, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/

It's got Egg from This Life in it.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Horza wrote:does anyone know if another series of Walking Dead is imminent? I really enjoyed the first "season" and I was hoping that it would be quickly followed by more.

Not until fall of this year............. :cry: I was hoping season two would also quickly follow. That show is addictive.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:29 am

Oh poo, it could be 2012 before we get it then. I may have to buy the book (books as it turns out :( )

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”