What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:01 am

Canned tomato paste mixed with honey.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:10 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Canned tomato paste mixed with honey.

Like, from a spoon. Just honeyed tomato paste? Is that a thing?
I guess I'm not doing much better, Spicy Popeye's® Chicken Strips. :fsm_rock:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:49 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Canned tomato paste mixed with honey.

Ok, I admit I came up with a few doozies back in my teens, and I've had my share of condiment-only-meals, but that's a new one on me.

{pops party favor}

+1 for ... well ... just because. :lol:
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 am

Well, it's "a thing" as far as I'm concerned. The tomato paste's only ingredient is "tomatoes" so it's sorta like getting in my fruits and veggies, right? :haha:
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote: The tomato paste's only ingredient is "tomatoes" so it's sorta like getting in my fruits and veggies, right? :haha:

True that, loophole found. Suck it dietitians! :moon:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Leftovers from last night, which was a 'refrigerator bouillibaise' (clean out the fridge/freezer affair). This particular version included an onion, a few tired and overly skinny carrots, a lonely lime-sized purple yam whose siblings had all died of neglect, and a minced clove of garlic, sauteed in chicken fat (aka 'schmaltz' in Yiddish) from the fridge, followed by a heaping spoon of chicken base and 3-4 pints of water for the broth ... simmer 5 mins ... followed by the remains of a package of frozen cheeze ravioli from the freezer (about 8 oz) ... simmer 10 mins ... followed by the remains of a bag of peeled & deveined 26-30ct frozen shrimp (approx 8 oz), and cup of diced zucchini ... simmer 4 mins ... taste broth and adjust for salt/umami with a few dashes of thai fish sauce ... followed by 2 raw beaten eggs shirred slowly into the broth for 30 sec. Shut off heat, let stand a few mins to cool, and good to go. Optional garnish: crushed saltines and perhaps a splash of half and half ... it turns an otherwise pretty soup fugly, but tasty. Yeilded 4 hearty servings.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Instant ramen cooked with the contents of the included chicken flavor packet, whole black peppercorns, a chicken egg, and a tin of smoked oysters in cottonseed oil.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:35 am

Niiiiiiiiice ... I love tinned smoked oysters. :love:

This is one of my favorite tinned smoked seafood snacks, and it's dirt easy: earlier today I had a tin of smoked kippers, straight of the tin, undrained. The best way to enjoy the tasty oil/juz remaining in the tin ? Toast an English Muffin, then tear it up (still warm) into small chunks and press them toasted side down into the jus, until the tin is full, and then enjoy. No muss, no fuss, no waste.

Dinner tonite involved a hot date with pre-cooked ham shoulder, which I trimmed and deboned. The big lobes of meat went into a tupperware in the back of the fridge for several upcoming meals (ham steaks with apple compote, sandwiches, etc), and the shoulder bone and all the inedible trim went into a pot of water with a sliced onion and a pair of bay leaves, and simmered for a few hours til the bone dropped clean. The resulting filtered and defatted stock I used to make split pea soup. I didn't have green split peas on hand, so I used Egyptian red lentils (about 1/4th the amount of stock, which in this case was a pint) ... simmer 30 mins, stick blend til smooth, and adjust for salt. In a separate pan, I had a pint of diced ham (mostly cut from the edible trim) and a cup of chopped carrot simmering in just enough water to cover, and which I promptly dumped straight into the freshly blended soup. I didn't have any potatos handy, so I substituted a pint of large pearl cous cous, which I stirred in, then let the pot stand covered off the heat for 10 mins. Not as pretty as classic green split pea, but just as tasty.

ChowMein
Stripmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:20 am

Peanuts , poor quality though , many unsightly nuts in that bag .
The squrills are getting the rest .

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:54 am

Ummmm.......

i gunna ketch Buggz Bunny an' den .......

...... an' den i gunna kook ím hup 4 suppurr tyme ......

oar mebbee i fine sum ole peenuts an' ketch a cute littel sqwiwwell , rrrrr .
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:19 pm

Maruchan Instant Holy Noodles. Salt flavored. (chicken) :lurk:

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:49 pm

I tried brussel sprouts a slightly new way today ... shredded and sauteed instead of split and roasted.

Stir Fried Shredded Brussel Sprouts:

Basically it goes like this. Mince up a little bacon, pancetta or sausage (whatever's handy), and render it until browned, then reserve, leaving the fat in the pan. While the meat renders, tail n peel & halve the sprouts, then shred using the shredding wheel of your food processor (or a chef knife, if you prefer). Reserve. Thinly slice some onions and add to the fat, and sweat until al dente, then add a sliced clove of garlic, stir briefly, then add the shredded sprouts and several generous dashes of thai fish sauce, a pair of generous pinches of brown sugar, and a splash of lemon juice (just enough to brighten and add a faint tang but not sour the dish), toss well over high heat, apply cover, and sweat covered 3 mins, then toss and stir fry 1 min more until desired bite is reached ( I like al dente). Serve.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 pm

PASTA!!!!!!!!!!!
Diced me up some onions, little bit of olive oil/butter combo, sweat 'em. BRING ON THE MEAT... ground beef/turkey mix, garlic, red chili flakes, salt, pepper. Splish of red wine... then tomato sauce, basil, oregano, MORE pepper ( gotta love the pepper ), pinch of sugar, and let 'er sit.
We have some whole wheat spaghetti... so it's goin' on that. I usually like to use shells or some kind of pasta with a pocket in order to use it as a second spoon to double my sauce intake. :lol:

:fsm:

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:25 pm

I just broke down a 3-rib beef ribeye roast that's been sitting in cryovac in my fridge for almost 2 weeks (awaiting the arrival of my wife's birthday). I deboned it, removed the tail/chain (terminology varies), and cut the resulting eye roast into 5 steaks I belted with twine. The steaks will get grilled tomorrow and last us all most of the week. The ribs I froze, for future use (either something simple like korean kalbitang, or something fancy like pot au feau, depending on how ambitious I'm feeling). The tail trimmings will get used for lunch tomorrow ... either a quick pseudo stroganoff, or sliced into little medallions for stirfry as is or use in ramen.

We dont often eat beef, much less a prime cut like ribeye, but this is an occasion, and I cashed in a rain check a ways back to bring the price within reach.

ChowMein
Stripmeister

Postby ChowMein » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:54 am

Roving Punster wrote:I just broke down a 3-rib beef ribeye roast that's been sitting in cryovac in my fridge for almost 2 weeks (awaiting the arrival of my wife's birthday). I deboned it, removed the tail/chain (terminology varies), and cut the resulting eye roast into 5 steaks I belted with twine. The steaks will get grilled tomorrow and last us all most of the week. The ribs I froze, for future use (either something simple like korean kalbitang, or something fancy like pot au feau, depending on how ambitious I'm feeling). The tail trimmings will get used for lunch tomorrow ... either a quick pseudo stroganoff, or sliced into little medallions for stirfry as is or use in ramen.

We dont often eat beef, much less a prime cut like ribeye, but this is an occasion, and I cashed in a rain check a ways back to bring the price within reach.

That sounds good , very good , i'll try what you done did after i get the braised beef with asian 5 spice correct .
My first try was awful , the second most recent attempt wasn't quite right , too much cinnamon , not enough star anise , and some daikon ( turnip is close enough ) was needed .
I did nail the braising and simmering though and the flank i used tasted just like the brisket i was accoustomed to ( i think the blade cut would work fine as well ) .
I spoke to sis- in - law #1 for her recipe which has the flavour profile which is very close to what i am after .
I am not giving up until i discover the recipe , yarr .

Return to “Food”