What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby PKMKII » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 pm

black bart wrote:I found a recipe for Irish Stew the other day which had 12 cloves of garlic in it!!!!!!!

I still haven't attempted the gyant pretzel baking yet.

The Filipino chicken adobo I make calls for an entire bulb of garlic.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Dinner was pork chop with a blueberry-nutmeg sauce, smashed turnips, and fried cabbage.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Properly northern European dinner. The leftover cabbage and turnips, plus smoked Medisterpølse (Norwegian sausage).

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:27 am

That sounds really good. I just had some deviled eggs, and it's not enough. Off to forage!

Gonna go make up some pancakes (hot cakes, griddle cakes, flapjacks, etc).

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 am

We had the standard corned beef and cabbage. It was pretty salty, maybe from sitting in the crock pot all day.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:We had the standard corned beef and cabbage. It was pretty salty, maybe from sitting in the crock pot all day.

I did corned beef in the crock pot also, but it didn't come out salty.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:51 am

For deeply practical reasons we acquired a pasta rolling machine and one of those trays you make ravioli on (my GF is a vegetarian but she doesn't do cooked cheese :rolleyes:) so we had home made fresh pasta with onion and mushroom stuff in it. Way tastier than I assumed and entirely worth the effort even with prep time running to around 3+ hours.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am

Ok, I'll bite (metaphorically): what could she possibly have against cooked cheese? There isn't even an increased carbon-concentrate content unless you char it... even mild browning (like pizza) doesn't do more than caramelize the carbohydrates in cheese, equivalent to eating toast. Unbrowned cheese is just melted and recongealed.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 am

I'm not sure TBH what the issue is. These days I pretty much equate "Vegetarian" with "Fussy Eater" so it could just be that :)

There is something going on with cooked cheese though, denatured proteins possibly, separation of fats, almost curdling. In my book cooked cheese is all good but the sight of some cheese on toast can send Jen running for the vomitarium. She has some food issues cause by a deficiency in her sense of smell (something to do with inappropriate use of a nasal spray as a child) whereby she seems to miss a lot of subtlety in aroma, I suppose if all you get from grilled Caerphilly is slightly burned, curdled fat it may be a little off putting.

I feel dead sorry for her, apart from the obvious missing out on so much olfactory pleasure do you know how hard it is to eat out as a vegetarian that can't eat cooked cheese?

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am

^ consider yourelf lucky she's not Vegan.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Arkaeon wrote:Ok, I'll bite (metaphorically): what could she possibly have against cooked cheese? There isn't even an increased carbon-concentrate content unless you char it... even mild browning (like pizza) doesn't do more than caramelize the carbohydrates in cheese, equivalent to eating toast. Unbrowned cheese is just melted and recongealed.

I don't like 'cooked' cheese either. I don't mind it on pizza but I'm not keen on cheese in burgers or on toast and I cannot stand the smell when my brother makes a melted cheese sandwich.

It's not anything rational, just something I don't like. Same with sweetcorn comapred to peas or my brother liking raw carrots but not if they're cooked.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:36 am

Onion Bajis, from the oven. I'm fairly sure the frying is very important to the whole Baji experience and regardless of health advantages you shouldn't mess.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:23 am

I'd like to try to make my own Bhajis, shop ones are rubbish.

I followed my colleague/friends advice and went to the doc for an MOT: Blood Pressure, Cholesterol etc (having the cholesterol test on Monday) and the doc says I am a bit over weight. :facewall:

Blood Pressure slightly high but not worrying...I may need to diet!!!!! :cry:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:26 am

NEW “MAYO CLINIC CARDIAC” DIET
Breakfast:
1/2 grapefruit, raw & unsugared
2 eggs, any style
2 slices of bacon
Lunch:
mixed salad with any dressing
meat, any style and amount (not breaded)
Dinner:
meat, any style and amount (not breaded)
any green or red vegetables cooked in butter or any seasonings

Bedtime snack: glass of tomato juice or skim milk

Instructions:
• Diet for 12 days and then stop dieting for 2 days, then repeat the 2-week cycle. Eat whatever you want on your two days off.
• AT ANY MEAL, YOU MAY EAT UNTIL FULL. This is NOT a starvation/hunger diet. Around day 2 or 3 of your first cycle, you may experience sugar/carb withdrawals similar to opium addiction (but milder). This is not hunger, it is a drug/oxide-radical withdrawal reaction, and it will pass shortly if you stay on the regime.
• Don’t skip the grapefruit, bacon or salads; they are important to making the fat-burning combinations.
• Limit coffee to 3 cups/day at MOST, as it hinders insulin balance and interferes with fat-burning. Less is better. None is best. No milk or sugar.
• Don’t eat between meals -- the above should prevent hunger.
• Don’t eat desserts, breads, white veggies, or sweet potatoes; just eat more of the proper combinations. No milk -- it’s lipid rich.
Notes:
• This diet completely eliminates starches/sugars. These are lipids and form fat. Fat does not form fat; it helps burn it. You can fry in butter and use it on veggies.
• You can lose 10 pounds in 12 days. There will be no weight loss for 4 days, but you will lose 5 pounds on the 5th day, presumably from water adjustments. Thereafter you will average losing 1.5 pounds per two days.
• All soft drinks must be diet and caffeine free.
• You may not have white/yellow onions, potatoes, or celery. No grains or breads.
• You may have red/green onions, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, bell peppers, radishes, spinach, carrots, green beans, sprouts, etc.
•Check any other ingredients for carbohydrates -- it must be zero.
• This diet is given to heart patients needing to lose weight quickly for bypass surgery.
• This diet is for losing weight quickly. You don’t stay on it forever.
• Check with your physician/pharmacist if you are on any prescription medicines. Some MOA inhibitors and blood pressure medicines (among others) do not get along well with eating grapefruit.
••• IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER •••
The above description is how we received this diet. We don’t know if Mayo Clinic is the true origin of this program, or whether they have updated any of the details. This formula works for us pretty much as described above. We lose an average of 3-4 pounds per week by using this. If you alter this diet or eat foods you aren’t supposed to, you will prevent it from working.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 pm

^ black coffee? blech.

Return to “Food”