I like magic numbers!

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Plunder

Postby black bart » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:42 am

Aye aye me hearties. I like to plunder biscuits of all sorts but I do have a liking for the chocolate sort. Years of eating weevil infested ships biscuits ave driven me to this dastardly act. :lol:

Yo ho ho and a bourbon for me!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Snakeon
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Great

Postby Snakeon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:42 pm

While consuming Pho with friends, a discussion of Him came up and several new converts are in the making. Unfortunately not having had the forthought to don the trappings of the pirate, I was deservedly smitten (gently) by His appendage. When I came to me senses I knew the truth.

I am from this point adopting the number 8 as the holiest. Not only does it set infinity on its ear and define our currency, but it is the past tense of eat.
May His eternal Starch bind you and keep you

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Re: Great

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:46 pm

Snakeon wrote:I am from this point adopting the number 8 as the holiest. Not only does it set infinity on its ear and define our currency, but it is the past tense of eat.

Avast! True wisdom on the holiness of the number 8!

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fusiontortellini » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:06 pm

Integers are boring.

Pi could work, since there've been efforts (probably apocryphal) to set it to 3. It would certainly fit with our quest.

I like i. Making all our lucky numbers imaginary would be fun.

And e (=2.71828. . .) because it's just soo handy. And it's natural!

I also think we should come up with an official transformation -- a way to convert all numbers into FSM form.
Who really might actually be back this time . . .

May the Fiori be with you. And may It have Meatballs.

Snakeon

Postby Snakeon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Given we are all about diversity, isn't there room for both a rational number (i.e., the most holy and luminous number 8), and, for example the Divine Ratio (Phi)?

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fusiontortellini » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Oh, I suppose. But we need to work the Divine Ratio into our transformation.

If we've gotta do integers could we skip the primes? I just don't like them. They're like the brussels sprouts of numbers.

Perfects? 36 is one of my favorite numbers -- square of perfect.

Snakeon

Postby Snakeon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:23 pm

I have to agree about primes. Although they are useful, they seem rather conceited.

My memory is dyslexic, however. Phi is the Divine Proportion (aka Golden Ratio), which actually works even better in a culinary context.

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fusiontortellini » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:45 pm

I really think we need to adopt pi since it's already been the victim of legislative interference:

http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

I know it says the urban legend that pi was actually set to 3.0 is false, but if you look toward the end of the article the Indiana Legislature tried to reset it.

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fusiontortellini » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:41 pm

Actually, I've never seen Indiana myself. Perhaps we should declare that it does not, infact, exist.

If I hadn't grown up there, I wouldn't believe in Idaho myself. It's the only state in the union with a completely made-up name. "Idaho" was originally suggested as a name for Colorado. Which is a pretty lame name anyway. Who names a state "Brown"?

Anyway, when Idaho came up for naming a few years later, nobody wanted to remember that the name was bogus. So they used it. I was taught that it came from an Indian* phrase ("ee-da-how") which meant "Sun coming over the mountains" and thus was translated as "Gem of the Mountains". All bull. But thus are legends born.

*I refuse to use "Native American". As I am part Indian myself I reserve the right to choose my moniker. Plus "Native American" ranks far too high on the Polysyllabic-Bullshit-o-Meter. People from the country called India have to be satisfied with "subcontinental Indians" in ambiguous cases.

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fusiontortellini » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:44 pm

Shoulda seen my Grandma. Could be absolutely paralyzing. Even if her family'd been Catholic for generations (well, two or three). Some people should not be angered.

Probably where I get it from. :wink:

PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:39 am

8. Eight. *. Ate.

I'm going the Law of Eights.

Law of Eights would be: Eight and all multiples of eight. This gives us several other numbers other people mentioned. Of course, there are some numbers (like primes) that it doesn't give us, but so what? Those numbers are already heavily overloaded with real and imagined (numerological, astrological) significancies.

Eight is the number of chaos. (Note: I'm a hardcore skeptic, but it's fun to play, and anyway the page has pretty colors.)

Eight is the Lemniscate/infinity symbol, but sideways (warning--site has smelly pop-ups). Note the eight-pointed chaos sign again.

Chaos is an Erisian/Discordian thing. Evolution, while certainly not random is at least a little bit chaotic, at least when looked at in the simplist possible terms. And, isn't part of the whole point of this religion to stir things up with a little "constructive chaos"? :D

I heard FSM speaking to me the other day in a dream when I was eating spaghetti. As the sauce tried to come back up my throat, and my stomache gurgled, I heard FSM in the noises my tummy made. He said, "Why the f*** * did you eat all that pasta!?" Then He said, "You Ate Eight Times Too Much Pasta My Young-Midget-Noodling. Study the Law of Eights to see your Folly."

So I took some pepto bismol, didn't eat anything for Eight hours, and drank nothing but Eighty oz. of water. Now I'm all better. FSM cured me!
:)

* wrote:A question--do you think it's possible that FSM might "curse like a sailor"? At least when the tiny tots are not around?
--
Furry cows moo and decompress.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:31 pm

My choice, I would vote for 42.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:23 pm

or 84 , as it is 42 times two, and has an 8. but 336 is 42 times eight I think 38 was attempting to symbolise the FSM, as 3 is noodles and 8 is meatballs and infinity

I'd say all these are possible candidates.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:40 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:or 84 , as it is 42 times two, and has an 8. but 336 is 42 times eight I think 38 was attempting to symbolise the FSM, as 3 is noodles and 8 is meatballs and infinity

I'd say all these are possible candidates.

Interesting deductions there, Qwerty.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:44 pm

It's those study-at-home Deduction lessons he's been getting from Griffin. They'll sharpen you up in a jiffy!

Return to “Scripture and Lore”