I like magic numbers!

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:01 am

no, the answer is NOT everything, it is merely the answer to everything.

don't you see the difference?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:12 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:no, the answer is NOT everything, it is merely the answer to everything.

Yeah, but it sounds good. You are such a kill-joy.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:53 am

Duke wrote:
Qwertyuiopasd wrote:no, the answer is NOT everything, it is merely the answer to everything.

Duke

and you are just making life harder for everyone by arguing the point no one else takes up (not useful, but somehow important). but we like you anyway.

...probably

...not...

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:07 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:
Duke wrote:

Duke

and you are just making life harder for everyone by arguing the point no one else takes up (not useful, but somehow important). but we like you anyway.

...probably

...not...

~Qwerty

Do you think I mind if not a soul in the world agrees with me? Does that change a thing, in any way, shape, or form?

Duke

P.S. Log onto AIM! :fsm_crazy:
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:36 pm

"We apologize for the inconvenience."
--
Furry cows moo and decompress.

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Alpaca wrote:But 42 is the answer to everything, not everything itself.

Now, thanks to theoretical math, we know that whatever gets added to infinity, the result is still equal to infinity. That means, we could add everything to infinity, and still have infinity.

Since infinity is obviously 47, we arrive at a shocking conclusion: Everything is 0.

This can lead to some meaningless proverb about everything being nothing, from which we can get all sorts of delightful wisdom.

Sounds like start of the False Prophecies.... go check Proposed Scriptures.

morcaradhras
Conchigliette Convert

Postby morcaradhras » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:39 pm

I believe 42 is the answer and must be the holy number (or at least one of them), my argument?

6 <- devil's number
7 <- god's number

6*7=42

42 <- FSM number

and i also like 8 (i have read a little bit of terry pratchet so you can call it 7-b instead of 8)

PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

to 42 or not 42

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:43 pm

:fsm_sad: The reason I'm not endorsing 42 is it's been done so much. There are so many other cool things in the HHGG. There are so many other magic numbers in numerology, Discordianism and other places. Let's try and broaden the search, 'kay? Maybe even (gasp!) making up some new ones. :fsm_cool:
--

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:56 pm

What's the symbol for the inverse of infinity?

New #'s are all good, but we need reasons... will try to math-shoot anything we come up with. Intergers are recommended. 8 works as the single-digit, but we could use something grand and mathematical as well...

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:16 pm

what is the significance of these numbers? let me try something random...

10+16+16+10

ho ho ho! what have we here?

interesting...

Doc, how far off am I?

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:37 pm

You tell me... I don't know the mathematical significance yet.

Very crude pic of the FSM if you look at the 99's as eyestalks, the 00's as meatballs, and the rest as noodles..... better hand drawn than typed.

Galapagosian
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Galapagosian » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:53 pm

Seven full pages and I can't believe no one has suggested 4.

4 is perfect. All numbers become 4. Heck, all words become 4 (unless they're Chinese characters.... no, wait, those become 4, too).

Spaghetti becomes 4 in two steps. Coincidence? I don't think so...
"Oh yeah, 'ooh!' 'aah!', that's how it always starts, but then later there's running. And then screaming..."

PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:What's the symbol for the inverse of infinity?

New #'s are all good, but we need reasons... will try to math-shoot anything we come up with. Intergers are recommended. 8 works as the single-digit, but we could use something grand and mathematical as well...

Ok. (In direct contradiction of what I wrote above) let me mention the following: October 10th, 2010 will be Universal Spaghettification Day. How do I know this? Easy. :compute:

* October is the 10th month.

* the two-digit year is '10.

* so we have a date of 10-10-10.

* now we *waves hands* reinterpret this as the binary number 101010

* converting (101010)b to decimal gives (you guessed it): 42.

Oh, there's an idea--we could use 42, but represent it in hexadecimal instead: 2A.

Or, dropping 42 and just going for longer magic numbers, we could go with the "magical" hexadecimal number: DEAD BEEF. :compute: I like that one. :fsm_smile:

Or we could go for "magic numbers" that equate to alphabetical letters in ASCII. :compute: Yeah, we've got options.
--

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Galapagosian, please explain

Doc, did you know that each when you add the math like me, its very symetrical, mathematicaly? like, both ends add up to ten, and the middles add up to 16 (which divided by FOUR, is FOUR)

top row: 25
mid row: 6
low row: 21

all added up its... 52!!!!!!

are you sure you just made that up on the spot????

o.O

Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Alpaca » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:15 pm

PragmaticallyWyrd wrote:* now we *waves hands* reinterpret this as the binary number 101010

* converting (101010)b to decimal gives (you guessed it): 42.

Oh, there's an idea--we could use 42, but represent it in hexadecimal instead: 2A.

Base 2 (binary) and base 6 (hex) are so overrated.

Here's an inane thought - since many, many others have proposed eight, let's write 42 in base 8. What's that? 52

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:what is the significance of these numbers? let me try something random...

10+16+16+10

ho ho ho! what have we here?

interesting...

Coincidence? I think not.

Return to “Scripture and Lore”