Is this true about the US?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

TheSwede
Conchigliette Convert

Is this true about the US?

Postby TheSwede » Wed May 09, 2007 6:57 pm

I have some questions for you.

First of all let me say that I'm from sweden (duh!) and my spelling may not allways be top-of-the-line. Anyway this site was the most refreshing thing I have stumbled on for a very long time. I hade no idea that this kind of movement existed.

The picture we get here in Sweden is that USA is mostly made up of ignorant christian's who actually believe in most the the bible says. Is this true? do you have any numbers on % that are fundamentalists? who believe in a 2000 year old book? (I mean, believe in the things it say except the common sense it provides in some areas).

I respect ppl who are religious, don't get me wrong but when I read some post on this site, like "you are going to burn in hell" are those ppl kidding or what?

I don't know anyone who are religious, there where a couple in school but they where for the most part consider to be a bit odd(crazy like). I have heard tough that Sweden is the least religious country in the world! so I guess that explains that.

Woho, long first post, but I have a lot of feelings about the subject. :mrgreen: . It's funt to contact the other side of the Atlantic.

btw. I like pasta.

Stockwell Day
Ziti Zealot

Postby Stockwell Day » Wed May 09, 2007 7:25 pm

That's not true, it's a stereotype. Roughly 25% of Americans are evangelical Christians (So about 80 million- a huge number but it's a minority). Most of the evangelicals live in the southern states, what is sometimes referred to as the "Bible Belt". Don't let the crazies fool you though, America is a very diverse nation with lots of perfectly nice, tolerant, moderate people.

The trouble is that these Christian fundamentalists are getting into power disproportionately and forcing their beliefs on others at the expense of real science.
Bitches don't know about my strict Christian values and anti-gay views.

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Wed May 09, 2007 7:34 pm

You need to post first in the "The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE" thread. Thanks.

As to your question, the estimates on literal Biblical belief are extremely varied, running from around a quarter of all Americans to nearly 7 in every 10, depending on which survey you look at. That being said, the Gallup poll is usually fairly reliable in these matters, and it reported in 2006 that 28% of the population actually held the Bible to be the literal truth, with 49% holding that it is inspired.

While still a depressingly high number (IMHO), literal interpretation is down 10% from the 1970s. In any case, the point still stands that the US is particularly religious, compared to other developed countries. You just have to know where to look for the religiously liberal, or religiously disinclined.

The people who post on the main site are - we hope - a very vocal minority, who have no perception of satire whatsoever. We usually ignore them and help ourselves to the pasta.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

Land Shark
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Land Shark » Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 am

None of my family is really hard-core religious.

Well, there is Uncle Floyd, but he doesn't really get mentioned that much, and he was always so different from the rest of the family. My dad's uncle, really.

Most of the people I know that are religous either are not Christian (Muslim, Jewish, etc.), or take the Bible metaphorically, I think.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -Edgar Allan Poe

TheSwede
Conchigliette Convert

Postby TheSwede » Thu May 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Ok, thanx I will make a post there!

Nice to get some facts, I don't know why it has become a part of the picture here if it isn't that many hardcore believers. There was a lot of talk about it when there is election time in the US. The right-wing christians has a lot of voting power I believe it's called.

ID has got some attention as well, not to mention all of the US shows and movies. I wathed a Bullshit sho about ID, very intresting.

I'am afriad that the ID theory has got some followers here as well =(, but that's only a few nut jobs so far. My teacher told me yesterday that he would give us a F if we mentioned ID, :D

Perhaps I should present the FSM to them ;)

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Thu May 10, 2007 4:57 pm

So do you look down on any kind of religious person, like for example...Roman Catholics or is it only those who take their religion to an extream?

Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Occam » Thu May 10, 2007 5:17 pm

TheSwede wrote:Ok, thanx I will make a post there!

Nice to get some facts, I don't know why it has become a part of the picture here if it isn't that many hardcore believers. There was a lot of talk about it when there is election time in the US. The right-wing christians has a lot of voting power I believe it's called.

ID has got some attention as well, not to mention all of the US shows and movies. I wathed a Bullshit sho about ID, very intresting.

I'am afriad that the ID theory has got some followers here as well =(, but that's only a few nut jobs so far. My teacher told me yesterday that he would give us a F if we mentioned ID, :D

Perhaps I should present the FSM to them ;)

Fair is fair, if you present the FSM then you should also get an F. We believe that pasta-related science is at least as likely as the god stuff so as long as they both get the same grade I'm happy.
Pastafarianism - The Religion Most Likely To Be True TM

scottvd1
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby scottvd1 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:07 pm

76.5% christian
13.2% Nonreligious/Secular
see below link for rest;
http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#religions
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries
Thou shalt not pimp my ride
Thou shalt not quote me happy
Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture
Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you
Thou shalt think for yourselves

Cuddly_Carpy
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Cuddly_Carpy » Thu May 10, 2007 7:26 pm

That's 2001. Dumb arse. Read the bloody site.

And just because it's on the inernet doesn't make it true.

Apparently those figures that you say from 2001, even though 2002 is on that page are from the city of New York University, who did a random digit-dialed survey of 50,281 american residential house holds.

Which for such a large country is obviously a big enough selection, with no garuntee of the spread of states or anything which any real data collecter would have done.

Stop trying to comment on things you know nothing about, you're just an arrogant arsehole. Grow up.

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Thu May 10, 2007 8:05 pm

scottvd1 wrote:76.5% christian
13.2% Nonreligious/Secular
see below link for rest;
http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#religions

He asked percent fundamentalists, not Christians. Sorry.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

scottvd1

Postby scottvd1 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:26 pm

Cuddly wtf is your problem. stop being pretentious. who are you to claim i no nothing about it? and just because it is on the iternet does not make it false. as to growing up i am not the one bending to the childish lows of name calling.
2001 is the latest one i could find here is another one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... ted_States
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries

Thou shalt not pimp my ride

Thou shalt not quote me happy

Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture

Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me

Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you

Thou shalt think for yourselves

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Fri May 11, 2007 6:42 pm

What do those findings prove?

Ziti Zealot

Postby Avatar of Nothing » Fri May 11, 2007 10:05 pm

There are some fundies that often lobby and make a bunch of noise every time a scientific breakthrough that chops away at the bibles standing. (I.E. Evolution, stem cells repairing your brain etc.)
I, in fact, have no relation to Avatar of Reason. My name developed several years ago on its own.

bubz_the_troll

Postby bubz_the_troll » Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 pm

Technically the fundamentalists aren't even practicing Christianity. Their brand of Biblical literalism is focused primarily on Old Testament scriptural law and not on the teachings of Jesus. No where does Jesus say in the Bible that his followers should infiltrate Caesars court and force the conversion of the entire empire to the word of God. This is exactly what the fundamentalists having been trying to do to our country. And the Golden Rule that Jesus taught... You can forget about fundies doing onto you unless you're one of them or promise to join their cult. And a cult they are because with their infiltration of key government positions and the U.S. military they are pushing the world ever closer to the Armageddon they hope to achieve. They are truly the ultimate Doomsday cult. Even the "Muslim" terrorists don't have nearly such grandiose designs.

newyork-pastafarian

Postby newyork-pastafarian » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:24 am

its not really true
i (as is evident) live in NY, but i live in te state not the city we have someredneck fundies up here but mostly just stoners

most fundies hide in the bible belt which is a stronghold for KKK members, skinheads, rednecks and rascists of all kinds

you can say the N word but not "oh my god"

that be sad aint it mates?
-may you be blessed by he who is known as the FLying Spaghetti Monster with his noodly goodness so you can experiance the heaven of beer volcanoes and strippers
http://arena-wars.net/register.php?REF=410
(please click that link)
don't click this link...

Return to “All Things FSM”