A New Front For Pastafarianism

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

A New Front For Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:49 am

Georgia appears to be on its way to government-sanctioned (and funded) Christianity in the public school classrooms.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/03/08 ... rss_latest

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Georgia is poised to introduce two literature classes on the Bible in public schools next year, a move analysts say would make the state the first to take an explicit stance endorsing -- and funding -- biblical teachings.

The Bible already is incorporated into some classes in Georgia and other states, but some critics say the board's move, which makes the Bible the classes' main text, treads into dangerous turf.

On a list of classes approved Thursday by the Georgia Board of Education are Literature and History of the Old Testament Era, and Literature and History of the New Testament Era. The classes, approved last year by the Legislature, will not be required, and the state's 180 school systems can decide for themselves whether to offer them.

"Bible literature" classes? Sounds like Sunday school to me. But I've got nothing against literature classes. But the question is, why don't we see Koran Literature classes, or Torah Literature classes, or Bhagavad Gita Literature Classes, or Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster Literature classes?

Why should public schools endorse and embrace the teachings in the religious book that is the Bible?

Why should they teach the Bible alone?

The conservatives claim that the Bible will be taught "in an objective and nondevotional manner with no attempt made to indoctrinate students." What I want to know is how you can teach a religious text nondenominationally and in a secular manner the way the Constitution demands. How can there exist a class within public schools solely for the study of a single dogmatic and religious text and still claim secularism?
Now, the motives of those pushing this bill are far from obscure. It's clear that they are for the teaching of religion in schools. But that's not allowed, so they must settle for a substitute, a thinly veiled horse for Christianity, "Bible Study" classes in public schools. But why do these people require their religious doctrines to be taught in the public schools, for the Flying Spaghetti Monster's sake? Can't they keep their religion in religious school?

No matter which way you look at it, teaching the Bible in public schools is by no means secular, as dictated by our Constitution. Pastafarians must react and demand that they teach our holy book in their public schools. I mean, it's literature, it's a good book, it's as based in fact as the Bible, why not teach it too?

Praise Pasta.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

E.Raser two
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Re: A New Front For Pastafarianism

Postby E.Raser two » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 am

Duke wrote: Pastafarians must react and demand that they teach our holy book in their public schools.

Tommie Williams, the Republican who sponsored the plan said: " It is not just The Good Book"Williams said " It is a good book "
I propose that Tommie Williams will go back at school of Georgia, next year, because Bible means "the books" and he ought to say " They are good books" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

flashfrozen
Ziti Zealot

Postby flashfrozen » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:19 am

sorry dobble click :(
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem! Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.

flashfrozen
Ziti Zealot

Postby flashfrozen » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:21 am

well

The bill approved overwhelmingly in the Legislature was tailored to make it clear the courses would not stray into religious teaching, Williams said.

The measure calls for the courses to be taught "in an objective and nondevotional manner with no attempt made to indoctrinate students."

+ it is only an elective (a odd one at that) but no one has to take it I don't see any major problem as long as they do what they say.

if I was in that school I probably wouldn't take it but hey what ever floats there boat just so long as they don't make them pray, and it is taught like a class not beat children with the bible for 45 minutes in class I am aright with it.
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem! Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:01 am

Bah. Another attempt to introduce religion and gradually step up the religiosity.

This should only be constitutional if they analyze other holy texts too. There is a basis in logic if one wants to teach the primary holy texts - Bible, Torah, Qur'an, Bhagavad Gita - because anything less is selective use of public funds for religious values.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

Duke

Postby Duke » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:08 pm

Agreed. I have nothing wrong with teaching about religion in public schools. I think they should have a "Comparative Religion" type class in order to teach about the different religions in the world, something that is increasingly prevalent.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

nacho
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby nacho » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:31 pm

The problem isn't that they're teaching about religion. They can have a dedicated class to the Bible. The problem lies in that they are studying the Bible itself, and not the history behind it or the psychology of why people believe it or any other academic subject. They aren't showing any legitimate reason for studying it that isn't religious.

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

contact

Postby blackeyedbutch » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 pm

would be nice to have some way to contact the school board other than finding an address somewhere else online.

anyone who really wanted a class about the bible would simply go to church. most likely anyone who is going to take this class will probably only take it as an easy credit.

Bobby Henderson if your reading this please write another letter but this time to georgia

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS

hexhunter
Ziti Zealot

Postby hexhunter » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:48 am

If students find Shakespeare boring how boring will the Bible be, also, its not the best of novels is it?

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:30 pm

It will be an elective, so I presume only the truly devout will be in this class... :roll:

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

kev3056
Conchigliette Convert

Postby kev3056 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:02 am

Or, some of those crazy kids will join it to try and convert people to pastafarianism! 8)

NeuroFreak
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby NeuroFreak » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:12 am

The schools should start with a religion class that teaches all religions then introduce the literature class on the Bible...but anyhow..

the Bible can be taught in a secular manner, I've had to read it for this classical scriptures class I took, though I doubt the Geogria schools will analyze the writing and show how many different people wrote and edited the different books of the Bible :D
"...the heavens are filled with rarefied, luminous spaghetti..." - Vonnegut

Lazycat
Ziti Zealot

Postby Lazycat » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:50 am

I find this fascinating. In my 9th grade english class, we read a couple stories from a book called The Bible As Literature. As I recall, we did not read any of the other sacred texts. I think a better choice for a class would be to include several of those books as literature, or as already mentioned, a comparitave religion class. This would be ok only as an elective. Although, they probably wouldn't want that. They probably want their kids to know only about the Bible.

Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Zankou » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:28 pm

EarthRise wrote:Bah. Another attempt to introduce religion and gradually step up the religiosity.

Religiosity!?!?!!?!? looks at my avatar man!!!! wth! Speak english!

hexhunter wrote:If students find Shakespeare boring how boring will the Bible be, also, its not the best of novels is it?

Have you ever read the bible?

Check the book of Job (pronounced "jobe"), or revalations....pretty good.

The bible are frequently better horror stories than stephen king's novels.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!

KC Observer
Mod

Postby KC Observer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:02 pm

I find that this is kinda much ado about nothing. When I was in HS, there was a class that I took that was about the bible and it was innocuous. They weren't trying to teach religion, it was just a class with the bible as the subject matter. I am not affiliated with any religion other than Pastifarianism (Being the Pope carries a lot of responsibilities, but with flimsy moral standards, I don't have to necessarily live up to them) and even so, can't think that if done right that the class could be held.
The Pope

Return to “All Things FSM”