Richard Dawkins References FSM on CNN

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

User avatar
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 am
Location: West Michigan U.S.A.
Contact:

Postby thefunkyone » Fri May 04, 2007 9:18 pm

MPTrooper wrote:
thefunkyone wrote:
MPTrooper wrote:Bah.

Dawkins...Harris...

Intolerance dressed up as logic. I have no time for people who claim that teaching my child about religion is tantamount to child abuse.




But it IS child abuse. Indoctrination of children is a horrible thing.


That's your opinion and to be quit honest I could care less what an Atheist (or anyone else for that matter) thinks about how I will raise my Child.

I will endevor to ensure my Child has a better religious education then I did.



Did anyone pick up on that? He couldn't care less about what an ATHEIST thinks about how he raises his child. Why did you choose to put the word atheist into your response? I see you followed it with "or anyone else for that matter" but the emphasis was still put on atheism. Which would lead me to believe that you think an atheist is more of an unfit parent than a theist. If thats true I find that intriguing.
"If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?" --George Carlin

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Fri May 04, 2007 9:24 pm

thefunkyone wrote:
MPTrooper wrote:
thefunkyone wrote:
MPTrooper wrote:Bah.

Dawkins...Harris...

Intolerance dressed up as logic. I have no time for people who claim that teaching my child about religion is tantamount to child abuse.




But it IS child abuse. Indoctrination of children is a horrible thing.


That's your opinion and to be quit honest I could care less what an Atheist (or anyone else for that matter) thinks about how I will raise my Child.

I will endevor to ensure my Child has a better religious education then I did.



Did anyone pick up on that? He couldn't care less about what an ATHEIST thinks about how he raises his child. Why did you choose to put the word atheist into your response? I see you followed it with "or anyone else for that matter" but the emphasis was still put on atheism. Which would lead me to believe that you think an atheist is more of an unfit parent than a theist. If thats true I find that intriguing.



Because as a Catholic I believe that an Atheist's view-point about God is wrong and could be dangerous to the soul of my Child.

What did you expect me to say? I can "respect" your opinion but that doesn't mean I would want my child to follow it.

User avatar
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 am
Location: West Michigan U.S.A.
Contact:

Postby thefunkyone » Fri May 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Zankou wrote:No, it's not child abuse.


Forcing your child to be religously devout is child abuse, and by FSM, I hope you don't do that.




I agree. But I think the overwhelming majority of theists would flip their wigs if their child said they did not want to go to church anymore. Even more if they said they were atheist or agnostic. This would probably cause a backlash from the parents to try and force their child back into church.

In fact I have proof... at least of the first point I made.

I feel bad for this kid....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Aq00yJSxo
"If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?" --George Carlin

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Fri May 04, 2007 10:05 pm

thefunkyone wrote:
Zankou wrote:No, it's not child abuse.


Forcing your child to be religously devout is child abuse, and by FSM, I hope you don't do that.




I agree. But I think the overwhelming majority of theists would flip their wigs if their child said they did not want to go to church anymore. Even more if they said they were atheist or agnostic. This would probably cause a backlash from the parents to try and force their child back into church.

In fact I have proof... at least of the first point I made.

I feel bad for this kid....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Aq00yJSxo


No, You have proof of what ONE family will do. Not of Christians as a whole.

And I also feel bad for the whole family.

Zankou
Brewmeister
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Postby Zankou » Fri May 04, 2007 10:06 pm

I didn't click the link, but if that's the vid I am thinking of, give me a f*cking break. Any Christian who is truly a Christian would be TOLERANT of the fact that someone chooses to be Atheistic.

They would "know" the person was wrong, but they would accept it, and pray for their soul.

No, a religous upbringing is benifitial, if desired.

Had I not wanted a religous upbringing, and my mother had demanded it, then it would be child abuse.

And if you are a Christian, then you should bring your child up Christian. IN your eyes, it would be wrong not to.

If MPT wants to raise his kid as a Christian, don't interfere.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters


"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.


"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean


Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!

User avatar
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 am
Location: West Michigan U.S.A.
Contact:

Postby thefunkyone » Fri May 04, 2007 10:30 pm

MPTrooper wrote:
thefunkyone wrote:
MPTrooper wrote:
thefunkyone wrote:
MPTrooper wrote:Bah.

Dawkins...Harris...

Intolerance dressed up as logic. I have no time for people who claim that teaching my child about religion is tantamount to child abuse.




But it IS child abuse. Indoctrination of children is a horrible thing.


That's your opinion and to be quit honest I could care less what an Atheist (or anyone else for that matter) thinks about how I will raise my Child.

I will endevor to ensure my Child has a better religious education then I did.



Did anyone pick up on that? He couldn't care less about what an ATHEIST thinks about how he raises his child. Why did you choose to put the word atheist into your response? I see you followed it with "or anyone else for that matter" but the emphasis was still put on atheism. Which would lead me to believe that you think an atheist is more of an unfit parent than a theist. If thats true I find that intriguing.



Because as a Catholic I believe that an Atheist's view-point about God is wrong and could be dangerous to the soul of my Child.

What did you expect me to say? I can "respect" your opinion but that doesn't mean I would want my child to follow it.



That is the genius of religon and how it can hook you when you are young. They make the parents feel that their child is in danger if they dont' instill their particular viewpoint in them from an early age. Although i'm probably on the other side of the same coin.
"If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?" --George Carlin

User avatar
supercheetah
Maccheroncelli Missionary
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:48 pm
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Contact:

Postby supercheetah » Sat May 05, 2007 12:47 am

Zankou wrote:Forcing your child to be religously devout is child abuse, and by FSM, I hope you don't do that.

That's what defines indoctrination! :roll:
I have benifited froma religous education, and my parents have never forced me to make a sacrament or anything.

Religious education is one thing. Indoctrination is quite another.
Do you really have to be confirmed in order to et married to someone in a Catholic Chirch, even if the other person is a Catholic?
If you're marrying a Catholic, the Church does not require you to be Catholic. It only requires you to baptize your children in to Catholicism (i.e. continue the tradition of indoctrination). The Church does not even compromise on this part.

Zankou
Brewmeister
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Postby Zankou » Sat May 05, 2007 9:24 am

That's what I thought.

Thanks for the clarification.

The idea the Catholic Chirch has with Confirmation at such a young age is to get us while we are young, so that there will be more money in the collection plate.

IMO, a religion should not be run like a business.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters




"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.




"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean




Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.



Click here!

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Sat May 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Zankou wrote:That's what I thought.

Thanks for the clarification.

The idea the Catholic Chirch has with Confirmation at such a young age is to get us while we are young, so that there will be more money in the collection plate.

IMO, a religion should not be run like a business.



No. Being baptised doesn't force you to give money to a collection plate.

Also, that money, unless used as a special collection, is used to maintain the upkeep and expensis of that Church

User avatar
scottvd1
Maccheroncelli Missionary
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:11 pm
Location: The wonderful city of oxford (england)

Postby scottvd1 » Sat May 05, 2007 5:48 pm

MPTrooper wrote
Bah.

Dawkins...Harris...

Intolerance dressed up as logic. I have no time for people who claim that teaching my child about religion is tantamount to child abuse.



religion is flawed and none more so than the Catholic church. i think it is a dam cheek for you to claim that telling children the truth brought forward by the most cutting edge of technology is intolerance that is one of the most simply ignorant statements i have heard in years (this coming from a guy who goes to boarding school the home of ignorance). i would be tempted top claim that forcing a child to endure some of the horrors and gore of bible and Kaaren is abuse.
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries
Thou shalt not pimp my ride
Thou shalt not quote me happy
Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture
Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you
Thou shalt think for yourselves

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Sat May 05, 2007 6:25 pm

scottvd1 wrote:MPTrooper wrote
Bah.

Dawkins...Harris...

Intolerance dressed up as logic. I have no time for people who claim that teaching my child about religion is tantamount to child abuse.



religion is flawed and none more so than the Catholic church. i think it is a dam cheek for you to claim that telling children the truth brought forward by the most cutting edge of technology is intolerance that is one of the most simply ignorant statements i have heard in years (this coming from a guy who goes to boarding school the home of ignorance). i would be tempted top claim that forcing a child to endure some of the horrors and gore of bible and Kaaren is abuse.



Your english teacher REALLY hates you doesn't he or she? Tell ya what I'm going to rewrite your "paragraph" so future board members will be able to read the gems of wisdom and logic you bring here.

Quoted by scot, edited by MPT

I believe that religion is flawed and none more so than the Catholic Church. I think it is arrogant of you (Ok, to be honest I have no fucking clue what the hell it is you’re trying to say from here on out. I’ll do my best) to claim that you are telling children the truth, when they are brought forward by the most cutting edge of technology. That is intolerance and one of the most ignorant statements I have heard in years. Keep in mind; I am qualified to say such, seeing as how I go to school where they teach nothing but ignorance. I would be tempted too claim that forcing a child to endure some of the horrors and gore of the Bible and The Koran is abuse.



Wow...that was perhaps one of the most painful editorial jobs I've had in a while. What the hell happened to our resident Grammar Nazi’s? Why am I doing your job for you? Sheesh.

Now before I stomp on whatever self-respect you may have left, is the above more or less what you wanted to say?

I mean, it's not fun to engage in a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent. Sadly the best I can do is give you the logical equivalent of a big shiny rock…


PS

Learn to use the quote command. It's really fun and all the cool kids are doing it!

User avatar
scottvd1
Maccheroncelli Missionary
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:11 pm
Location: The wonderful city of oxford (england)

Postby scottvd1 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:41 pm

i think you might find a few full stops aside that my comment was perfectly adequate. if you need help finding english tutorials i am sure i could help you find some and we could even book them online together.
oh and for the record your understanding of my 'paragraph' was a little of.
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries

Thou shalt not pimp my ride

Thou shalt not quote me happy

Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture

Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me

Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you

Thou shalt think for yourselves

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Sat May 05, 2007 6:45 pm

scottvd1 wrote:i think you might find a few full stops aside that my comment was perfectly adequate. if you need help finding english tutorials i am sure i could help you find some and we could even book them online together.
oh and for the record your understanding of my 'paragraph' was a little of.



Please, for the love of God tell me English isn't your first language.

User avatar
scottvd1
Maccheroncelli Missionary
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:11 pm
Location: The wonderful city of oxford (england)

Postby scottvd1 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:56 pm

please for the love of common sense tell me your American. if you were that would restore my faith in my england if you were to be British i might cry. and again was my sentence structure a little too complicated for you? i could write it in German if you wanted, or Danish or even if you ask real nice Swahili.
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries

Thou shalt not pimp my ride

Thou shalt not quote me happy

Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture

Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me

Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you

Thou shalt think for yourselves

Zankou
Brewmeister
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Postby Zankou » Sat May 05, 2007 7:34 pm

scottvd1 wrote:please for the love of common sense tell me your American. if you were that would restore my faith in my england if you were to be British i might cry. and again was my sentence structure a little too complicated for you? i could write it in German if you wanted, or Danish or even if you ask real nice Swahili.


Swahili might be easier to read.


Post in proper Grammar, or I will be forced to eradicate you.

If you are really a human, I might cry.

Your sentence structure is non-existent

Go away.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters




"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.




"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean




Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.



Click here!


Return to “All Things FSM”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests