Richard Dawkins References FSM on CNN

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Fri May 18, 2007 11:06 pm

Zankou wrote:Isn't Al Queada(sp?) a government? And Hamas?

Terrorists have governments...

Wrong, terrorists organizations, like Hamas, can have political groups, "governments", if you will. It's the difference between a terrorist organization with a government and a government that is a terrorist organization, and that's an important difference.

MPTrooper wrote:So I suppose that makes me a terrorist huh?

According to Angus here, everyone in America is a terrorist. :roll:

Zankou wrote:Depends...Have you killed countless people with no identifiable reason?

Terrorist organizations have identifiable reasons for their murder. There is motive, Ron Paul was right.

EarthRise wrote:I think it's become fashionable to be hatin' on Zank.

Ain't it the truth. :D

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

angus argyle
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby angus argyle » Sun May 20, 2007 11:45 am

I don't think everyone in the US, or England or Canada are terrorists..

I just find it sad that the population of these countries will allow their governments to commit such immoral acts while we sit and watch TV..

I am not pointing my finger at anyone here, simply making a broad statement.. Myself included.. I have done some protesting, but in the end was it enough..?? Obviously not..

Angus

Duke

Postby Duke » Sun May 20, 2007 4:07 pm

angus argyle wrote:I don't think everyone in the US, or England or Canada are terrorists..

Saying that America is a terrorist state has certain implications, do you know what I mean?

I just find it sad that the population of these countries will allow their governments to commit such immoral acts while we sit and watch TV..

Of course America has done immoral acts. We've done everything from petty spying to overthrowing democratically elected governments and replaced them with fascist butchers (Guatamala, Chile). It's sickening, but that doesn't translate to terrorism.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

angus argyle

Postby angus argyle » Sun May 20, 2007 5:02 pm

I never stated that the US is a terrorist state. reread the post.. I stated many around the world beleive it to be a terrorist state. There is a big difference..

What implications are you talking about.. Will the secret service come knocking on my door in Canada and take me away to be held indefinitely without trial or charges..?? You are implying a threat and I don't really care..

"Of course America has done immoral acts. We've done everything from petty spying to overthrowing democratically elected governments and replaced them with fascist butchers (Guatamala, Chile). It's sickening, but that doesn't translate to terrorism." - how can you admit to this but say it is not terrorism. Is it only terrorism when it happens against you.. If some other country overthrew your democratically elected government, wouldn't you consider that terrorism?? Or is terrorism to you only a suicide bombing. Pretty shortsided if you ask me.. Our, yes our countries are so filled with proganda, you have to see past that in order to know what is going on. Our news medias are so jaded...

Keep an open mind Duke - I am not trying to piss you off or make you angry. Nationalism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. I forgot where that quote comes from, but Nationality is just like racism - it creates opposing groups.. We are all one in the eyes of god.. Sorry couldn't help myself..

Angus

Duke

Postby Duke » Sun May 20, 2007 6:20 pm

angus argyle wrote:I never stated that the US is a terrorist state.

Right, you said that "The United States of America is seem by many around that world as the world's largest terrorist organizations," and you followed that with evidence to support that presumption. It is perfectly logical to assume that you believe that the U.S. is a terrorist organization if you go around defending that point of view.

What implications are you talking about..

Well, let's see. Let's compare and contrast the U.S., the biggest terrorist organization, with another one, Al-Qaeda, for example. The U.S. is a country with borders. Al-Qaeda... not so much. The U.S. has a popularly elected government. Al-Qaeda... no, not quite. The U.S. has an economy. Al-Qaeda... nope, no economy. The U.S. has diplomats to other countries and a seat in the U.N. Al-Qaeda... no on this one too. The U.S. has a volunteer military run by the popularly elected government. Al-Qaeda has a few radicals with AKs and TNT. The U.S. wages war with tanks, planes, ground troops, and a navy. Not very terroristic. Al-Qaeda uses suicide bombs. Do you see the difference between terrorist organizations and countries now?

- how can you admit to this but say it is not terrorism.

The CIA routinely perpetrates acts of "terror".

terrorism |?ter??riz?m| noun the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
American Oxford Dictionary

Every secret service organization in the world has used terrorism. It's been used in every war since the beginning of time by every side. But calling the government of a country the same thing as Al-Qaeda is ridiculous.

Is it only terrorism when it happens against you..

Excuse me? When did I say it's only terrorism when it happens to us? It's terrorism when it happens period. Terrorism is terrorism. Where the hell did you get that from? I sure as hell didn't say it, are you making stuff up now?

Stop making ludicrous assumptions and sweeping generalizations about my political views.

-
I am not trying to piss you off or make you angry.

I'll give you a hint: claiming that another person believes something that is completely idiotic tends to piss them off.

Nationalism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Who's a nationalist? Are there any nationalists in here? I'm sure as hell not a nationalist. Are you trying to tell me that I am? You're starting to piss me off.

I forgot where that quote comes from

Samuel Johnson, and the correct quote is "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

We are all one in the eyes of god..

Wow. God is pretty shortsighted. He ought to keep an open mind.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

angus argyle

Postby angus argyle » Mon May 21, 2007 8:08 pm

wow Duke.. You are a pretty pathetic guy here.. You seem to want to pick a fight over nothing..

Just having a little debate and you get all worked up 'cuz someone put down your country.. Boo Hoo.. Grow up..

Maybe you need to spend a little more time out of your bedroom posting 12000 times on an internet forum..

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon May 21, 2007 8:51 pm

angus argyle wrote:wow Duke.. You are a pretty pathetic guy here.. You seem to want to pick a fight over nothing..

Just having a little debate and you get all worked up 'cuz someone put down your country.. Boo Hoo.. Grow up..

Maybe you need to spend a little more time out of your bedroom posting 12000 times on an internet forum..

Aw look, the little cretin gets so dejected about being wrong that he has to make personal attacks to salvage his already decimated self image. How very, very pitiful.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Mon May 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Angus, you just engaged in the most pitiful debate-closers known on the internet.

1) Making the argument seem worthless (You seem to want to pick a fight over nothing)
2) Criticizing social life of the opponent (spend a little more time out of your bedroom)
3) Insulting the maturity of the opponent (Grow up..)

If you think the argument was so frivolous, why did you engage in such a practice as debating in the first place? Nice way to bring an impression of ignorance upon yourself.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon May 21, 2007 10:03 pm

And by the way, I spend lots and lots of time out of my bedroom. Check my profile, I make, what, twenty posts a day? That's twenty to forty minutes online daily, which is considerably less than the average American. I'm rather proud of myself, really, for the amount of time I spend outside of my bedroom.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

angus argyle

Postby angus argyle » Tue May 22, 2007 9:02 am

EarthRise wrote:Angus, you just engaged in the most pitiful debate-closers known on the internet.

1) Making the argument seem worthless (You seem to want to pick a fight over nothing)
2) Criticizing social life of the opponent (spend a little more time out of your bedroom)
3) Insulting the maturity of the opponent (Grow up..)

If you think the argument was so frivolous, why did you engage in such a practice as debating in the first place? Nice way to bring an impression of ignorance upon yourself.

You know what.. You are exactly right.. I did each of these things and I apologize to you Duke.. I should not have thrown insults..

My only defence is that you were taking my comments all wrong. I was not attacking the US, just making comments on certain things and actions..

So.. Again Duke. Sorry about that.. I am new to internet debating and didn't know how to take your comments..

Angus..

Duke

Postby Duke » Tue May 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Apology accepted. Firstly, I should have been more civil, and secondly, I should have been more clear with my statements; it appears that there has been some miscommunication. So allow me to clarify; I'm not some flag-waving gung-ho Ãœber-Patriot, I'm a fairly liberal guy who's seen a lot of the world and decided that America is a pretty nice place to live.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

angus argyle

Postby angus argyle » Thu May 31, 2007 1:20 pm

Duke wrote:Apology accepted. Firstly, I should have been more civil, and secondly, I should have been more clear with my statements; it appears that there has been some miscommunication. So allow me to clarify; I'm not some flag-waving gung-ho Ãœber-Patriot, I'm a fairly liberal guy who's seen a lot of the world and decided that America is a pretty nice place to live.

Duke

Well said and thank you...

Angus..

angus argyle

Postby angus argyle » Thu May 31, 2007 1:20 pm

Duke wrote:Apology accepted. Firstly, I should have been more civil, and secondly, I should have been more clear with my statements; it appears that there has been some miscommunication. So allow me to clarify; I'm not some flag-waving gung-ho Ãœber-Patriot, I'm a fairly liberal guy who's seen a lot of the world and decided that America is a pretty nice place to live.

Duke

Well said and thank you...

Angus..

scottvd1

Postby scottvd1 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:49 pm

I think many citizens of Iraq might see the USA as a terrorist organisation. then again most countries are not much better.
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries
Thou shalt not pimp my ride
Thou shalt not quote me happy
Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture
Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you
Thou shalt think for yourselves

Return to “All Things FSM”