Richard Dawkins References FSM on CNN

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Zillax0rz
Ziti Zealot

Richard Dawkins References FSM on CNN

Postby Zillax0rz » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:08 am

This past evening, Richard Dawkins was on CNN with Paula Zahn and quickly reference our Lord.

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2 ... ism_1.html

Awesome.

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:31 am

Bah.

Dawkins...Harris...

Intolerance dressed up as logic. I have no time for people who claim that teaching my child about religion is tantamount to child abuse.

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:26 am

Oh come now. Dawkins is spot on in his statements on religion, if you've ever read them. Intolerance would be demanding that people can't be religious and should be shot. Dawkins doesn't deny people's right to embrace religion; he simply rallies against the idea.

Not intolerance.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:33 pm

MPTrooper wrote:Bah.

Dawkins...Harris...

Intolerance dressed up as logic. I have no time for people who claim that teaching my child about religion is tantamount to child abuse.

On the other hand, it beats the hell out of intolerance dressed up as ideology.

Quote Richard Dawkins:

"I think people should be free to believe whatever they like, to write whatever they like, to say whatever they like."

What an intolerant guy. :(

Great link, though! :mrgreen:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

NeuroFreak
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby NeuroFreak » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm

:) I have a slight crush on Dawkins.

Thanks for the link!

Anyhoo...From the Panel Clip below...If anyone seemed intolerant, it was the reverend. He wouldn't even let the atheist answer his question about where she derived her morals from!
"...the heavens are filled with rarefied, luminous spaghetti..." - Vonnegut

coord26673
Conchigliette Convert

FSM reference

Postby coord26673 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:01 pm

i believe he also makes a reference to our lord in his new book "the god delusion" which i suggest u all read as it is very imformative and could make any god loving citizen of america an athiest... hence why they refuse to read it ;)

MPTrooper

Re: FSM reference

Postby MPTrooper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:11 pm

coord26673 wrote:i believe he also makes a reference to our lord in his new book "the god delusion" which i suggest u all read as it is very imformative and could make any god loving citizen of america an athiest... hence why they refuse to read it ;)

Ummm no? I read parts of it a while back and it left the taste of bile in my mouth. I'm still Catholic so ya know.

scottvd1
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby scottvd1 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:13 pm

as a guy who knows richard i will be more than pleased to pass on your afection towards him, on another note he is a genius. i can tell that he is not intolarant. it cheecky as hell for anyone to say he is. im pissed as hell as at the age of 16 im already being pesicuted for being a devote atheist by men 6 times my age. no joke half of them are my teachers.
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries
Thou shalt not pimp my ride
Thou shalt not quote me happy
Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture
Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you
Thou shalt think for yourselves

PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PantyGnawer » Fri May 04, 2007 5:27 pm

The Dawkins appearance was in response to the uproar caused the week before when two panelists on the Paula Zahn show kept saying that "Atheists just need to shut up". They were talking about their hatred for Newdow, but never discussed the topic that they were supposed to be discussing, that of discrimination against atheists. They did a piece about two families, one who lost their jobs and had to leave town because of atheist discrimination, and another who was kicked out of their home. The panelists never even mentioned these stories, but spent the entire segment bitching about atheists.

Dawkins did well during the short amount of time he was alloted, but I was a little peeved that he nor anyone else ever addressed the ignorant comments from the former panelists.

Linky 1

Linky 2

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Fri May 04, 2007 5:38 pm

scottvd1 wrote:as a guy who knows richard i will be more than pleased to pass on your afection towards him, on another note he is a genius. i can tell that he is not intolarant. it cheecky as hell for anyone to say he is. im pissed as hell as at the age of 16 im already being pesicuted for being a devote atheist by men 6 times my age. no joke half of them are my teachers.

Your English teachers hate you don't they?

Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Zankou » Fri May 04, 2007 6:45 pm

Leave the Nazi-ing to me.

you're inglish teechers h8 u, dont thay? [sic, attemting to speak in a language readable by him]
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!

thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Postby thefunkyone » Fri May 04, 2007 6:51 pm

Dawkins...Harris...

But it IS child abuse. Indoctrination of children is a horrible thing.
"If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?" --George Carlin

Zankou
Brewmeister

Postby Zankou » Fri May 04, 2007 6:57 pm

No, it's not child abuse.

Forcing your child to be religously devout is child abuse, and by FSM, I hope you don't do that.

I have benifited froma religous education, and my parents have never forced me to make a sacrament or anything.

I made my First Communion because i wanted to, but by the time Reconciliation came around, I had realized Catholicism was far too strict for me.

My friend's parents are religous, and she has told me she is only making her sacraments because she has to, and because she wants to get married in a Catholic Church.

Which brings up a question I had been meaning to ask.

Do you really have to be confirmed in order to et married to someone in a Catholic Chirch, even if the other person is a Catholic?

I'm pretty sure my Youth Minister(psychopath that she is) made this up, because my Mother is (was brought up)Catholic, and my father is(was brought up)an Anglican.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean

Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Fri May 04, 2007 7:44 pm

thefunkyone wrote:

Dawkins...Harris...

But it IS child abuse. Indoctrination of children is a horrible thing.

That's your opinion and to be quit honest I could care less what an Atheist (or anyone else for that matter) thinks about how I will raise my Child.

I will endevor to ensure my Child has a better religious education then I did.

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Fri May 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Zankou wrote:No, it's not child abuse.

Forcing your child to be religously devout is child abuse, and by FSM, I hope you don't do that.

I have benifited froma religous education, and my parents have never forced me to make a sacrament or anything.

I made my First Communion because i wanted to, but by the time Reconciliation came around, I had realized Catholicism was far too strict for me.

My friend's parents are religous, and she has told me she is only making her sacraments because she has to, and because she wants to get married in a Catholic Church.

Which brings up a question I had been meaning to ask.

Do you really have to be confirmed in order to et married to someone in a Catholic Chirch, even if the other person is a Catholic?

I'm pretty sure my Youth Minister(psychopath that she is) made this up, because my Mother is (was brought up)Catholic, and my father is(was brought up)an Anglican.

Huh...I honestly don't know. I want to say she is right, but I will do some research and get back to you on it. Please remind me if I don't :)

Return to “All Things FSM”