Is our use of the term 'Pastafarian' offensive?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

MacHamish
Conchigliette Convert

Is our use of the term 'Pastafarian' offensive?

Postby MacHamish » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 am

I am new to the church, only recently having had the salad course removed from in front of me so that i might discover the wonder that is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and his holy meal. I have read much of the loose canon (ok, maybe a third, it's really long), watched the "I was touched" video that has the 8 IRRYDs in it (which could maybe be easier to find on the main page for newbs), and read all the theses of the doctoral candidates ( cuz they are funny).

A friend of mine ( who admittedly , tends to find a lot more things offensive, and fewer things funny, than he used to) recently noted that he finds the term Pastafarian offensive, as it partially co-opts the name of a 'real' religion (which believes that Haile Selaisse, emperor of Ethiopia, was a messiah).

I am a little torn about this. I don't think its meant to be offensive to anyone, on the other hand, "don't be mean", and "treat others as you would like to be treated".

Discuss ( as this is a discussion board)

Oh, and i realize i overuse parentheses, just imagine them as noodly appendages. Ramen.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Re: Is our use of the term 'Pastafarian' offensive?

Postby Cardinal Fang » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Roy Hunter is wise.

Just out of interest - is your friend a Rastafarian, or is he getting offended on someone else's behalf?

My feeling is this - offense is a subjective emotional response, that is unique and individual to each person. So saying "I'm offended" to try and shut down a conversation is not helpful. Just because a person finds something offensive is not of itself reason to stop discussing it. I think the benchmark has to be gross offensive rather than just simply offensive before one thinks about silencing a subject

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Ignotum
Ziti Zealot

Re: Is our use of the term 'Pastafarian' offensive?

Postby Ignotum » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:11 pm

An alternative answer :lurk:
[quote=The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster]Our alternative beliefs are in no way mocking your beliefs more than yours mocks ours. FSM believers are peaceful, open-minded, well educated, and reject dogma outright.[/quote]
Within lies fact and fancy, truth and metaphor. Discriminate with care

Return to “All Things FSM”