about fsm

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

marchello12
Conchigliette Convert

about fsm

Postby marchello12 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:54 am

Hello! I'm an atheist. i know that this is a parody religion, but i was just wondering - does anyone seriously believes in FSM and worships he/she/it ?

KC Observer
Mod

Re: about fsm

Postby KC Observer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:03 am

First, welcome here. We all hope that you will contribute, in a meaningful way, to this forum.

Second, start here:http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=44 before you poast any more. Thanks, on behalf of all of the members. :fsm_rock:
The Pope

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:58 am

marchello12 wrote:Hello! I'm an atheist. i know that this is a parody religion, but i was just wondering - does anyone seriously believes in FSM and worships he/she/it ?

Yer pullin me peg leg aint ye matey ?
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Maybe. Maybe not. People can follow parody religions if they want. I'm something of a currently non-practicing practicing Discordian, but I generally am kind of Agnostic about the whole thing, despite being an ordained minister in the ULC and the Church of The Sub-Genius and a follower of the FSM. Which one is real, I ask you, if any?
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:17 pm

In 8th Grade I was a 'true' Pastafarian. I would still be, but the FSMs choice of prophet has put me off for now. But I literally did once pray to the FSM, and verily he delivered in about 2 minutes.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:07 pm

TOO MINITS !

Heck , fer us up 'ere ets furdy minits or ets free .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

Roonie
Ziti Zealot

Postby Roonie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:04 pm

I personally do believe in God.

But to me, God is such an unknowable, unhuman thing that it could be anything at all - like a Flying Spaghetti Monster. And all I really need is to know that there is such a thing as God. I don't need any bullcrap story about a guy from whenever to feel connected to it.

In my mind, dogma is such a dangerous and counterproductive thing, I prefer to express my religious beliefs in a way that involves no dogma. So, what better than a religion where all the dogma is make believe in order to make that specific point?

Zibethicus
Conchigliette Convert

FSM - A Boltzmann Brain?

Postby Zibethicus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:22 pm

marchello12 wrote:Hello! I'm an atheist. i know that this is a parody religion, but i was just wondering - does anyone seriously believes in FSM and worships he/she/it ?

My impression - speaking pretty much from the sidelines - is that the way in which it started is/was as a riposte to the manifestly obvious absurdities of the 'Intelligent Design' movement, and their attempt to sneak religion (particularly Xtian Fundamentalism) into the science classroom in the guise of 'science'.

A particularly perceptive observer (Henderson) realised that if /one/ utter absurdity could be introduced into the curricula in this way, any number of competing absurdities could also be 'taught' if the law permitted it. Henderson introduced a particularly wild absurdity by way of pointing out the deficiencies in the presumptions of the ID movement, especially its legally-neccessiated refusal to specifically mention 'JHVH', as that causes their agenda to become clear.

(Everybody feel free to correct me on this.)

That said, FSMism is no more absurd than any of the competing established world religions, include those which I myself follow. I can give you a creation myth off the top of my head which makes at least as much sense as any other, and also 'explains' the origins of the FSM in 'scientific' terms:

The 'Boltzmann Brain' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzman_brain) is a hypothetical conscious entity which is postulated to arise spontaneously as a wildly unlikely fluctuation in entropy. As entropy increases towards the end of a universe, a Boltzmann Brain is far likelier - massively unlikely as it is - to swirl into existence from nothingness at the end of a universe, as there is more randomness for it to manifest in. So if such things can exist at all - and I believe that, despite grumblings, the concept has not been /disproven/ - there would be increasing numbers of Boltzmann Brains at the very end of a universe. And, being anything /but/ human, they tend to have /strange powers/...

Large numbers of conscious entities have a natural tendency to 'party', and this is where it all began - as the shattered fragments of the last universe to ours slid inevitably towards a singularity. The Boltzmann Brains were having a fairly wild time of it, and one of them - an invisible young feller who looked remarkably like a bundle of noodles and meatballs - was enjoying himself so much that he didn't want the party to end. With one wave of His Noodly Appendage, he cooked the conditions of the Big Crunch so that another universe would emerge from the singularity. Time meant nothing to Him Who We Shall Call The FSM, so he could sit out the dull details of the emergence of structure and the painfully long evolution of 'consciousness' in order to have another party to go to in a little while.

Older and wiser heads attempted to dissuade Him, but he wouldn't listen, being intoxicated, and they were all pissed too and didn't bother to stop Him as they had all planned to retire anyway. We and all about us are the consequence, and it amused the FSM to conceal Himself again in the fluctuations of entropy until a /really daft theory/ being taught in one parochial point on one very parochial planet aroused His attention, and after examining the theory and deciding that it wasn't even a good joke, He decided to reveal His Noodly Existence to an appropriate prophet in order that Pirates May Once Again Prevail, me hearties!

:fsm_yarr:

This is /my/ theory/theology. Disprove it those who can...

:D

RAmen,

->Zx<-
"Some people have got a mental horizon of radius zero and call it their point of view."
- David Hilbert

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 pm

It is disproven. I have said so. However, as I am a benevolent God, I shall allow you to keep your foolish idea of the Boltzmann Brain, and not even bother to mention that it's unfeasible, since there's a dead end right after Pluto. That's right, you're living in an intergalactic version of The Truman Show, and I am your director. Turn the boat around, Truman, or I shall send a storm your way.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Zibethicus
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Zibethicus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:It is disproven. I have said so.

Well, there ya go. Theology in a nutshell. Next theory, please!

I can get the dead end after Pluto stuff, but the Truman Show reference escapes me, as I don't own a TV and haven't for years, and, probably worse still, I'm not even an American (blushes).

->Zx<-

PS: Thank you, Benevolent One, for allowing me to cling to my "foolish idea" about Boltzmann Brains. It's just as well that I didn't remind you about the really /wild/ stuff like the XJ-2 Schism, as that might well not stand up to critical scrutiny. Still, as Cabell says, "in paradise if anywhere a man should be permitted utterly to follow his own tastes, even in imaginative eschatology."
"Some people have got a mental horizon of radius zero and call it their point of view."
- David Hilbert

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:51 am

All right, now I'm curious. What's an XJ-2 Schism?

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:56 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:All right, now I'm curious. What's an XJ-2 Schism?

Google doesn't even know.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:

Google doesn't even know.

Which would be why I was curious enough to ask.

Zibethicus
Conchigliette Convert

The XJ-2 Schism

Postby Zibethicus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Nothing worth being curious about, just my personal private instant schism/Clench/Cabal, as I could never join a religion without simultaneously unjoining it.

The XJ-2 refers, of course, to the notorious badfilm /Robot Monster/ - the one "with the gorilla in the helmet" - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster). The essential postulates of the faith are as follow:

1) The 'Robot Monster' featured in the movie is a real para- or meta-anthropoid ape, tentatively designated /Astronautopithecus Excorgalatea/, and the 'helmet' is the externalised bones of the skull, massively modified by evolution towards survival in the atmosphere of the Robot Monster's home planet, the exact location of which remains a closely-guarded secret.

2) The 'Robot Monsters' - known in the movie as 'Ro-Men' - worship Paasuutu, the evil relation of the FSM known in the vernacular as 'The Flying Lasagne Monster'. Paasuutu closely resembles the FSM except for being flat, rubbery, approximately quadrangular, and having a multitude of eyestalks and other protoplasmic appendages which it forms and unforms at will. Paasuutu is just as invisible and undetectable as the FSM. The Ro-Men insist that Paasuutu is the true creator of this universe, and they attempt to conquer all worlds which deny this 'truth' and convert them to their fearful fanaticism. They have attempted to conquer Earth before, and will do so again.

3) The Ro-Men once maintained a mining and refuelling station on the Earth, in the location of present-day Tibet. They were driven off the planet by forces which remain obscure. They may have created humanity as a consequence of their cross-breeding with the local primate population.

4) The 1950 Tsampa/Dobbs/Dodgson-Evans Tibetan Expedition, though in search of other objectives, stumbled across remains of the technology and semi-fossilised carcasses of several of the Ro-Men. Unfortunately, all physical evidence of the Ro-Men was lost when the expedition members were interned as suspected spies by the invading Chinese army.

5) After Dobbs, the American member of the expedition, was released from captivity and reported (some) of the expedition's discoveries to the American government, an above-top-secret program of cultural activity was prepared in order to adjust collective consciousness against the day when evidence of the Ro-Men would once again come to light - possibly in the form of another invasion. The film, /Robot Monster/, is /literal truth/ and was secretly funded by the shadow government. It was deliberately made quite absurd in order to prevent panic while simultaneously implanting the actual form of the Ro-Men in the public mind. Other and better made films of the era examined the deeper implications of the situation in allegorical form.

The name of the starring Ro-Man in 'Robot Monster' is 'XJ-2', whence the name of the Schism.

There is much, much more - including the adventures of the cosmic champion of humanity, Fnordules the Mighty, in his perpetual battles against the conquistador mentality of the Ro-Men and their sinister Evil Queen, as well as the hideous agenda of Paasuutu, but as you can see it's hardly worth wasting further electrons and time on. (Pirates get a look-in, too, of course.) However, you did ask, and now you know. I look forward to applying for permission to teach this 'theory' in school alongside the far less coherent and less internally consistent 'Intelligent Design'...

Cheers, beers and RAmen;

->Zx<-
- David Hilbert

Return to “All Things FSM”