things that a FSmonsterism member should try...

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Re: things that a FSmonsterism member should try...

Postby fueledbycoffee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Two Girls, One Cup ain't shit. Pardon the pun. Back in my day, we had Goatse (the real one, mind ye, not yer pansy-ass ASCII art), Tubgirl, and Harlequin Fetus going around like AIDS in Africa. Ya'll whippersnappers wouldn'a made it a day, y'hear? NOT A DAY!

I might as well recommend summat. Hmm. Haw. Hmm. Meh. I recommend Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth. Buy it, for it is quite full of pure, undiluted WIN. While you're at it, see if you can find Confusion is Sex, just to test your mettle.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby aidiore » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm

im so unaware of the music that is not heavy metal and one of its many many branches...sonnic youth...they play like what??...alternative???..(im not looking down on your opinion...i say this because i really dont know this band...)
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby aidiore » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 pm

pretty cool...since 1981????....they are pretty old...just 4 years younger than Iron Maiden

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:04 pm

As I said, they're one of the originals. Once they started playing music instead of experimental noise, they influenced pretty much every single Alternative band that came after them, and quite a few Metal and Hard Rock bands, too.

I recommend Y: The Last Man. Read it, for it is awesome in my head.

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:12 pm

I have to second the Sonic Youth suggestion. I still listen to Goo on a regular basis. Sure, it's only an EP, but a damn good one. A really, really good one.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm

My friend, EPs are absolutely wonderful. However, as much as I hate to be anal about it, Goo was, in fact, a full studio album. Still, their EPs were no slouch either. Kill Yr. Idols and TV Shit kicked ass.

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I stand corrected. Either way, I'm gonna put me headphones in for the drive home (am/fm only in my truck) and listen to Disappearer at a dangerous volume, and on repeat. If I had to choose one Sonic Youth song, that would be it. This opinion may change without warning, but often changes back into this one.

~E.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 pm

OMFSM, I'm shocked I didn't think of Disappearer. A great track, even it's not my favorite. That honor goes to Death Valley '69. It's a great song, and it has Lydia Lunch, which just adds to it's awesomeness.

aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby aidiore » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 pm

when i say i dont have any idea of what you are talking about...im serious...ejejeje

ill recommend something else...mmm...if we are talking about music...what about some jazz...try Art barkley and the jazz messengers...really really good...and some of the best french singers charles aznavour....

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 pm

aidiore wrote:when i say i dont have any idea of what you are talking about...im serious...ejejeje

FBC's FIVE SECOND MUSIC NERD GLOSSARY(tm):

Death Valley '69 - Absolutely killer track from Bad Moon Rising, Sonic Youth's second full album. Quite heavy, and like the rest of that album, quite dark and chaotic. Very, Very good.

Goo - Sonic Youth's sixth full album, and their most famous album. It was considered a minor success in the industry. It was a far more accessible album than those that came before it, and served as their breakthrough into the mainstream. It's a good album, but I prefer their less mainstream, earlier stuff.

Disappearer - Track 7 from Goo. A very good song. http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=MySZtE3F-4Y

Lydia Lunch - One of the major figures in the "No Wave" art movement, she was the vocalist for Teenage Jesus & The Jerks. Known for screaming. A lot.

EP - A short album, with maybe eight tracks on the longest of them, and usually less than a half an hour in length. They're usually released by an unsigned band, as a demo tape or to sell at concerts before they make it huge. Some bands release EPs even after getting signed. EPs can also be used by a band to work out what songs are worthy of release on a full album.

Kill Yr Idols & TV Shit - Two EPs by Sonic Youth. Kill Yr Idols was released after their first album, Confusion is Sex. Very, very abrasive, just like that album, and had a few of the kinks worked out. TV Shit was a collaboration between Sonic Youth and Yamantaka Eye, the vocalist of The Boredoms, a Japanese noise rock band. Again, very abrasive.

And since you probably never heard of it:

No Wave: Artistic, musical, and cultural movement from the late 70's and early 80's. Popped up in the East Village, in New York City. In essence, it represented a total rejection of traditional values. Where as the other counter-culture movement of the time, Punk, basically was a bunch of amateurish classic rock bands who played faster than usually and had snotty lyrics, No Wave musicians demonstrated virtually no classical musical elements, and were just dicking around to see what cool new things they could do with a guitar. Vocals would be screamed or babbled nonsense. Lyrics, when there were lyrics (bands would often just babble), would be intentionally nasty or disgusting. The whole point was to turn music on it's ear.

No Wave is an interesting genre just because it's so abrasive that 95% of people can't stand to hear it. Yet there is a small number, such as myself, who love it.

Thar. You learned something today.

aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby aidiore » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:25 pm

my FSM you really love this band dont ya? :fsm_rock:

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:35 pm

Having given Goo another thorough work over on the way home, I ran up the three flights of stairs to my apartment (eighteen-pack of beer in one hand, smokes in the other), and jumped on a big pile of one of my other very favorite "pre-alternative" icons, a little band named Hüsker Dü. Then I listened to some Sugar. Then some of Bob Mould's solo stuff. And the whole time I wrote (well, half wrote, half copied 'n' pasted from earlier versions) a new start to a bit of text I've been keeping myself company with for a while.

The point - Check out Hüsker Dü, Sugar, and things done by Bob Mould in general. Damn good stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:25 am

Husker Du kicks ass. Haven't heard Sugar but I'll check them out.

aidiore wrote:my FSM you really love this band dont ya? :fsm_rock:

Yes. Yes, I do. They are far from my favorite, though.

Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Elastoman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:38 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Husker Du kicks ass. Haven't heard Sugar but I'll check them out.

Listening to Copper Blue as I type this, singing along, and tapping foot. Damn good album that I may or may not be seeding in FLAC as I type.

~E.

Return to “All Things FSM”